An Ungentlemanly Act

Comments

• stagstag In the thick of it!
    edited September 2016 Posts: 1,053
    If those who are reading An Ungentlemanly Act think the notion of the British Secret Services employing a career criminal such as Flynn in their fight against the Nazis is a tad fanciful, here's a little secret. He - the character Harry Flynn - was quite heavily influenced by a one Eddie Chapman. Here's some blurb from the official MI5 website which makes for interesting reading:

https://www.mi5.gov.uk/eddie-chapman
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Very interesting something you might want to have a look at, as it is an Irish weapon
    Shillelagh ?
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shillelagh_(club). Just for an ethnic feel or connection.
    If it had a shotgun cartridge hidden in the heavy end, so it would fire when hitting someone ?
    I know one American Ganster has a cartridge build In to a glove, so when he punched someone, they'd get shot as well. ?
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Yes, I was thinking 'Mad' would be a good prefix myself. O'Concannon sounds suitably villainous too.
    Baddie number 1 has actually two names - his birth name (I'm thinking Patrick Concannon - without the 'O') & a name he later adopted. The original name is made mention of during Flynn's briefing when Sir Claude is reading from the mission folder - the red file - & describing the man & the reasons he has been placed on D7s priority target list. It's this second name that I feel needs suitable punching power.

I find the idea of the shillelagh/gun combo intriguing & suitably dark to warrant inclusion somewhere.
    Just in case anyone is interested or for those who missed it when it was last offered. Tomorrow (10th Sept) will be another chance to get An Ungentlemanly Act for free. As last time the promotion will run for one day only.

Just a reminder that if you are interested you can bag your free copy of An Ungentlemanly Act today. Just follow the link.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01L3XJLWA
    I know I'm posting consecutively so aplogies for that but I'm a tad exited so just had to share. I've just looked at the Stats for AGA. It's currently sitting at number 58 in the amazon bestsellers rank 'war & military' section & number 107 in 'action & adventure'. Who knows, with luck & a fair wind it might even make the top ten?!

Take a look at the bottom of the 'product details' area on AGAs amazon page (link in the last post).
    I've just had my first review for An Ungentlemanly Act - not on amazon but the 'Goodreads' site. It was given five stars accompanied by the comment "It was amazing!"
    I'm really pleased that this person enjoyed the book.

I'll be running another free promotion day soon so if anyone here is still interested or missed their chance last time, you will be able to download the book without charge. If you are a Kindle Unlimited subscriber you can download it for free at any time.
    It is selling well & actually made the UK & US amazon bestsellers charts at numbers 18 & 19 respectively in the 'free' books section. Although I'm not sure I think this is as a result of interest from KU readers as the book is being read well by them.

Meanwhile I'm just into chapter three of the first draft of Harry Flynn's next adventure. However once written it will be re-written/read at least four times.

Lastly thanks to those here who have supported & encouraged me.
    How do I download it?
    IGUANNA wrote: »
    How do I download it?

Hi Iguanna. It's available on amazon (link to follow). As said if you're a Kindle Unlimited subscriber you can get it for free at anytime. Failing that you will have the chance to get it for free when I next run the promotion.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01L3XJLWA

edited September 2016 Posts: 17,809
    Glad to hear that this novel is selling so well, @stag.
    Yes, great news. I've also added a five star review. @Stag
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Glad to hear that this novel is selling so well? @stag.

It's selling steadily, indeed it has passed all my expectations thus far & is moving paid copies every single day. There are two amazon bestseller charts - one for paid books & the other for free books. As far as I can gather the latter (the one my book featured in) encompasses the Kindle Unlimited community. Subscribers to KU pay a monthly tariff which allows them then to download paid books for free (just so long as the author has joined the programme which allows this to happen). The author then gets paid for each page read by KU members. My sales stats indicate that the book has been downloaded & indeed read on many occasions.

Yes, great news. I've also added a five star review. @Stag

Thanks @Thunderpussy. I haven't seen it yet. I hope you enjoyed the read & if there is anything you would like to perhaps see feature in the next Flynn adventure let me know.

How is the Irish-American villain coming along, @stag?
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    How is the Irish-American villain coming along, @stag?
    Ive utilised some ideas for names mentioned here yet have given the main villain one of my own. Just as a teaser here's the opening lines from chapter three of the first draft of Harry Flynn's next adventure which - if you haven't already guessed - takes place in wartime New York.

The flight had been delayed so almost an hour & a half behind schedule the DC3 swept into land at La Guardia airport. There was rain in the breeze & the leaden sky forecast more as Flynn & the rest of the passengers disembarked & crossed to the terminal building for the brisk formalities of customs & immigration......................

Advance notice that my WW2 Espionage thriller "An Ungentlemanly Act" will be available from amazon for free on Wednesday the 5th of October. This promotion will run for one day only so I hope you are able to take advantage of the offer. I will post a reminder on Wednesday just in case anyone has missed this.
    My WW2 Espionage thriller 'An Ungentlemanly Act' is available free today (5th October) to MI6 members, though it is always free to Kindle Unlimited subscribers.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01L3XJLWA
    How are the sales and reviews going @stag, are they what you expected or better ?
    I just downloaded the book,perfect for me as I have been studying the Nazi's for the last 5 years so its a great setting for me..are you going to make Harry Flynn's World War adventures into a series @stag ?
    edited October 2016 Posts: 1,053
    How are the sales and reviews going @stag, are they what you expected or better ?

Hi @Thunderpussy. Yes the book continues to sell quite well. I've only had three amazon reviews thus far but I've had a few emails asking where the next Harry Flynn book can be bought. I've had to explain that I've only just started writing it!

barryt007 wrote: »
    I just downloaded the book,perfect for me as I have been studying the Nazi's for the last 5 years so its a great setting for me..are you going to make Harry Flynn's World War adventures into a series @stag ?

@barryt007. From what you say I think you'll enjoy reading AGA. Just for your information all procedures surrounding Harry Flynn are accurate & as taught to WW2 British agents. I don't want to spoil things but the techniques of torture utilised by the Nazis which are described in the book are also what were employed by them.

Yes AGA is the first book of the series - all set in WW2 with each following on directly from the last. As I already mentioned I'm in the process of writing book two which sees Flynn go up against the New York Irish mob. The details surrounding that particular mission have their roots in fact. The outline plot for the third book is already written but after that I'm not sure if Flynn will have another outing. I suppose it all depends if the series proves popular enough to warrant it.

I've just released an updated version of AGA which deals with a few errors and a speck of rewriting here and there. My main issue (and one which had completely escaped me even in the rewrites!) was my use of & instead of and. My use of & comes from many years of report writing where it was acceptable use the ampersand, indeed it has become so ingrained that I have to make a conscious effort to use and instead of &. I also noticed that my spell checker had substituted the word 'tome' for 'tomb' as it did not recognise the former!
    :) I was so caught up in the story to even notice.
    I was going to mention that to you in a PM, @stag but I didn't like to.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    It's not acceptable to use & these days? If we got the free version, will it update automatically?
    It's not acceptable to use & these days? If we got the free version, will it update automatically?

Well it's not formal enough. It's an abbreviation and therefore frowned upon.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Oh, I see. Ahh, the joys of English.
    Oh, I see. Ahh, the joys of English.

That's what I learned studying History and English at university anyhow.
    @Thunderpussy obviously I never noticed my mistake either then it just hit me between the eyes.

@Dragonpol - there would have been no problem had you PM'd me. As I said it became second nature for me to substitute & for and throughout my working life. It has become so ingrained that I wrote a whole novel without reverting back to proper usage!

@PropertyOfALady there is indeed a difference between the use of and (and) & in written English. The latter not being acceptable in some circles. I don't think the free version will update - I'm not too sure paid copies will either - but you can always download it again on the next free day. From my perspective the use of and plus a little tidying up here and there has made the book read better. BTW I take it you have read the thing already, if so what did you think?

I also edited the blurb to reflect this. Having just looked at another post I made today I see I have used & again! It will be a hard habit to break!
    It would seem your WW2 triller has managed to upset a few grammar nazis :))
    so it is fitting. Once again it's a terrific story @Stag.