The Youtube Thread

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    *someone mentions Deadlier Than The Male*

Me:
    AnchoredGraciousBarb-size_restricted.gif

DTTM is my honourary Bond film.

@MajorDSmythe Indeed. Have you seen this one Major?

It's not as good as Deadlier Than The Male but better than Some Girls Do IMHO.

No I haven't seen that one. I did skim though it and saw Terry-Thomas in what I asume is a small role. I'll add that to my playlist.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur

Me:

No I haven't seen that one. I did skim though it and saw Terry-Thomas in what I asume is a small role. I'll add that to my playlist.

@MajorDSmythe
    Terry-Thomas actually has 2 roles in it. His first character gets killed of in the opening scene but he later returns for a more substantial role as his It's Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World compatriot Dorothy Provine's chauffeur. However, 4th billed Eurospy vet Margaret Lee is only in the film for about 1.75 minutes.
    Quentin Tarantino's favorite secret agent film supposedly is this Eurospy feature from 1966:

And the trailer for it:

It has a lot in common with Moonraker, detailed in this article:

http://bondfanevents.com/wild-script-kiss-the-girls-and-make-them-moonraker/

I've been looking for this one for quite some time, @PrinceKamalKhan - thanks for posting!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Quentin Tarantino's favorite secret agent film supposedly is this Eurospy feature from 1966:

And the trailer for it:

I've been looking for this one for quite some time, @PrinceKamalKhan - thanks for posting!

@Torgeirtrap You're welcome. You might want to watch it soon. I don't know how long it will stay on youtube and to the best of my knowledge it's never been officially released on home video/DVD of any kind.
    Another feature from 1966 featuring Mike "Mannix" Connors:

and with an end title song performed by Professor Joe Butcher:

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

Me:

@MajorDSmythe
    Terry-Thomas actually has 2 roles in it. His first character gets killed of in the opening scene but he later returns for a more substantial role as his It's Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World compatriot Dorothy Provine's chauffeur. However, 4th billed Eurospy vet Margaret Lee is only in the film for about 1.75 minutes.

Now you've piqued my interest.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I think I need to have a go on Deadlier Than The Male: I didn't realise it was a Bulldog Drummond film. Sounds fun.
  • edited June 2020 Posts: 17,302

And the trailer for it:

@Torgeirtrap You're welcome. You might want to watch it soon. I don't know how long it will stay on youtube and to the best of my knowledge it's never been officially released on home video/DVD of any kind.

Good point, @PrinceKamalKhan. I've seen several eurospy films on Youtube, but many of them were only there for a short time before being taken down again.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I gave Deadlier a go: it is indeed a decently-made film and the plot is coherent at least! Plus it's nicely glossy for a British-made film of the time and has decent, if not Bond-level, production values. But it's lacking in tension or a decent plot (it's kind of hard to care who's behind the killings when we know right from the start) and feels a bit flat. I do quite like how Drummond (never 'Bulldog'!) isn't actually a Bond ripoff: he's not a spy, no gadgets and weirdly has a nephew dragged around with him. He's actually more like Sexton Blake than Bulldog Drummond.

The Italian Eurospy films might be a bit more enjoyable as although they're not as well made and make no sense at all, they add a nice unique flavour of batshit craziness which means occasionally you get a little fun spice of ingeniousness! I loved that shot in Kiss The Girls of the hero nonchalantly sitting under the bow of that yacht! That looked really dangerous!!
    mtm wrote: »
    I gave Deadlier a go: it is indeed a decently-made film and the plot is coherent at least! Plus it's nicely glossy for a British-made film of the time and has decent, if not Bond-level, production values. But it's lacking in tension or a decent plot (it's kind of hard to care who's behind the killings when we know right from the start) and feels a bit flat. I do quite like how Drummond (never 'Bulldog'!) isn't actually a Bond ripoff: he's not a spy, no gadgets and weirdly has a nephew dragged around with him. He's actually more like Sexton Blake than Bulldog Drummond.

@mtm What I appreciate most about DTTM is that of all the Bond imitation/knockoff films of the time period it comes the closest to feeling like the genuine article. Probably because it was filmed at Pinewood Studios and because Richard Johnson was actually Terence Young's first choice for the role of 007. You're right how his Drummond isn't actually a spy like Derek Flint, Napoleon Solo or Matt Helm. Instead they took the WWI veteran detective and gave his character a swingin' mid-1960s makeover(now a Korean war vet and insurance investigator). However that makeover is definitely Bondian with the scene with his M-like boss and Miss Moneypenny-like secretary. Elke Sommer's and Sylva Koscina's emerging from the sea Ursula Andress-style after the opening credits with Thunderball-style harpoon guns, the villain with his lair and Oddjob-type henchman(played by Milton Reid who played one of Doctor No's thugs and would later play Sandor in TSWLM). Notice how Drummond's boss was played by Laurence Naismith(later Sir Donald in DAF) and his nephew's girlfriend was played by Virginia North(later Olympe in OHMSS)?

I like this review of it from double o section:

http://doubleosection.blogspot.com/2009/01/movie-review-deadlier-than-male.html
    The Italian Eurospy films might be a bit more enjoyable as although they're not as well made and make no sense at all, they add a nice unique flavour of batshit craziness which means occasionally you get a little fun spice of ingeniousness! I loved that shot in Kiss The Girls of the hero nonchalantly sitting under the bow of that yacht! That looked really dangerous!!

Did you finish watching KTGAMTD and notice the similarities to MR?

From the same reviewer:

https://doubleosection.blogspot.com/2013/05/movie-review-kiss-girls-and-make-them.html

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited June 2020 Posts: 14,993

@mtm What I appreciate most about DTTM is that of all the Bond imitation/knockoff films of the time period it comes the closest to feeling like the genuine article. Probably because it was filmed at Pinewood Studios and because Richard Johnson was actually Terence Young's first choice for the role of 007.

Yeah I can certainly see how it feels closest, it has that feel of a big British film and actually makes sense, which is a start! :)

I can certainly see Young's point: he probably looks more like Fleming's Bond than any of the guys who actually played 007!

You're right how his Drummond isn't actually a spy like Derek Flint, Napoleon Solo or Matt Helm. Instead they took the WWI veteran detective and gave his character a swingin' mid-1960s makeover(now a Korean war vet and insurance investigator). However that makeover is definitely Bondian

Oh absolutely, I don't think he's got much to do with Sapper's Drummond.

I think it possibly ends up feeling a bit more like The Avengers than it does Bond, and ultimately without either's wit. I know no-one's saying it's as good as either(!) but while it's a fun artefact and is better made than most of these I'm not sure it's something I'll be revisiting a lot! For example if it were The Avengers the various assassinations might've had a bit more wit to them- they're a bit flat.

Also -and I don't want to sound too down on these as they are good fun- I know they're from another time but the misogyny does get a bit wearing: the sax music whenever a woman appears in this one is a bit of an eye-roller! :D

Yeah that's fun, thanks. Good trivia about the chesspiece in TMWTGG!

Did you finish watching KTGAMTD and notice the similarities to MR?

I did yes! It was a fun distraction for an hour or two and certainly a few bits of Moonraker fun in there. A decent bit of fun even though it seemed at times like they were making it up as they went along! :) Quite impressive to actually see Terry-Thomas underplaying something too.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited June 2020 Posts: 23,411
    Film Counts - Bond Kill Counts Auralnauts Commentary
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    GTA 5 - QoS Car Chase
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Ha! That's very impressive.
    Ha! That's very impressive.

They did an amazing job matching the chase scene.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    edited June 2020 Posts: 13,062
    That was awesome.

I did miss the little head deflect action when the police vehicle rolls down the hill in his path, still outright awesome.
    edited June 2020 Posts: 3,262
    Classic Jack Lemmon/Romy Schneider comedy about the 1960s advertising business is like a humorous take on Mad Men:

@mtm Mike "Mannix" Connors and Dorothy Provine play the secondary leads in this two years prior to Kiss The Girls And Make Them Die.
    That was awesome.

I did miss the little head deflect action when the police vehicle rolls down the hill in his path, still outright awesome.

I looked at some other GTA 5 Bond chases though not as good as QoS standard, here is one I watched...
    The finger cracked me up :))
    Obviously I really enjoyed that one as well, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns.

I can read the license tag as "PRTRS007". Does that have some GTA context?

0e83f5a14863924cff78009543ea0d09bc357d75.png

ed8f1f0fabe76fdbf55296ecfdcb7e16e07f6d18.png

22ddf6a17df41507830c491f8d7e48a59e0d924c.png

@RichardTheBruce Good spot I did not pick up on the number plate. I think it just refers to the person/channel who created the video. It appears to be an abbreviation.

As a side note the woman in the helicopter appears to be the wife of the character playing Bond.

Nice detail, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns, thanks.

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."