Bond girls you wish came back for one more film

2»

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    One of the things I've always greatly admired about the Bond films is there decision to not recycle characters. Any other series would have noticed the popularity of certain actors or characters and would have incorporated them into future films ad nauseum (see the Marvel movies for a clear example of this).

Bond films are guilty of relying the same old character tropes, but they always introduce new actors into the series.

There was so much scope to bring back someone like Honey Ryder back in the 60's, but they never did. Ursula Andress became a bonafide Hollywood star for a while in the decade and it would have made commercial sense to bring her back. She was iconic in that role and part of me would have loved to see Honey again. I know that they considered the idea for LALD, but they didn't go down that route.

600full-ursula-andress.jpg

But I'm glad they didn't, because we got to meet other interesting characters played by a host of international beauties. I imagine Cubby's desire to cast a new beautiful woman each time was partly the reason for this.

The same principle applies to the villians (Jaws aside). It would have been the savvy business move to introduce Gert Frobe as Goldfinger's brother or to reanimate Oddjob, but they never did this.

I kinda hope the tradition is maintained. Regardless of the interconnectivity of the Craig films, each of the four movies stands on its own terms. Each has its own distinct villain, plot and leading lady.

However, it would be great if Madeline came back for Bond 25, just because I feel there is a still a story to be told there. Also the character was criminally under-explored, despite this Lea was a real brightspark in the film; bringing such vulnerability and pathos to SP. Even when she had awful cringe-worthy dialogue like "two Jameses...lucky me".

1182766.jpg

You got your wish.
    Monica Bellucci with an attempt at 007 live for revenge.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I was always intrigued by the possible return of Wai Lin in DAD as the Chinese representative in the Hong Kong hotel. I feel that was the only one to make sense.
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    Mary Goodnight... just so she can finish the job and kill poor ol' 007 by accidently dropping a piano on his head.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited May 2020 Posts: 5,869
    Honestly I'm still pissed Sylvia Trench never got to be the main Bond girl at all.
    I kind of miss the days when Sylvia Trench was the only Bond girl to return for a 2nd outing. That said, perhaps NTTD will set a new trend and either Madeleine will become a permanent member of the cast, or the next actor's leading Bond girl will make multiple appearances.
  • I know that they considered the idea for LALD, but they didn't go down that route.
    I totally ignored this! Do we know more about the role she would have played in the story?

To answer to the question, I would definitely have loved to see Sylvia Trench as a regular character through the Connery era. While I understand that Hamilton wasn't fond of the character, it still a shame that Young didn't bring her back in Thunderball. However, I am not sure that I would have liked to see her evolve from this secondary role to a main Bond Girl. If Bond's personal life is to be explored in future films with a new actor, I think there is a place for Sylvia Trench, or for a similar character with a different name.

The other characters who could have had a recurring role in my mind would have been Holly Goodhead and Anya Amasova, as both have such an archetypal dimension that they could have easily be regulars. The former as a female counterpart to Felix Leiter in the Moore era, while the last could have been a substitute to Pola Ivanova in A View to a Kill. On the other hand, neither were particularly good actresses, at least in these roles, so it's maybe for the better that they didn't come back, even if Chiles was good in both The Great Gatsby and Death on the Nile, which suggests to me that this may be more of a direction or writing problem for her.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited May 2020 Posts: 4,444
    Camile
    Lucia. Stil hope to see make uncredit comeback in NTTD. Oberhauser/Blofeld keen to find her is more intresting then Madeline back. Having them all three back i alway see as option. Vesper should be round off also. Spectre created new quistions, NTTD footage contuned some symbol things.

With Jinx was the villian first and Brosnan get his fifth then i haven't mind she returns.