Your favorite internet personalities

edited October 2011 in General Discussion Posts: 2,107
Ok ladies and gents, I don't think there is a thread for this (or if this even warrants one) or talk about internet personalities, be it internet reviewers / funny men/women sharing their passion on the net.

For me it's an easy choice ; James "Angry Video Game Nerd" Rolfe. I just can't get enough of his tongue in cheek and often hilarious game / gamesystem and movie reviews and his made up "AVGN" character. In his reviews he's usually a pottymouth and some parent would probably want to wash his mouth with soap. But its all done for #%&/! and giggles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Angry_Video_Game_Nerd

Maybe he himself isn't as angry and as pottymouth as his character, but I also enjoy his movie reviews where he's just being himself. As a movie reviewer he usually reviews horror and other cult films. He injects some of his humor in all of his reviews. Usually pointing silly and overused gags in sequels and what not. He recently reviewed the hammer Dracula films and is now reviewing the Nightmare on Elmstreet movies.

I don't know what it is about him, but I often check his website for new updates in old game or movie reviews. They're such so fun to watch when you got nothing to do, and often I even drop something else what I that doing / watching, just to watch one of his videos.

Comments

• HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited October 2011 Posts: 4,399
    James Rolfe aka "The Angry Video Game Nerd"

hell, i even own the DVDs he made of his videos lol..

not only do I find his game reviews hilarious - he seems to have a great understanding and appreciation for film as well - so i naturally love his film reviews.. he doesn't go into technical speak, or into psychological break downs.. he just presents a no nonsense / common sense approach to his reviews, which I find refreshing.... granted, he's no certified expert - but what really are critics anyway? licensed opinion givers? - and most of them are full of crap..... so, i'd rather get an opinion from someone who is rational, rather than looking to be "shocking"..

i particularly enjoy his reviews of the Star Wars saga, and the Indiana Jones films - for those who haven't seen his "Top 10 dumbest Indiana Jones moments" on youtube, it's worth checking out...

But I also love his Monster Madness reviews each month of October... last year he reviewed campy cult classics like "Brain Damage" and "Basket Case" to name a few.. this year he is doing horror sequels... he's done the Universal "Frankenstein" series, and just wrapped up the Hammer "Dracula" series - he's now onto Nightmare On Elm St...

I really suggest him to everyone, at least to check out - you may find some games you yourself had childhood nightmares about, so it's fun listening to (and watching) him cuss these games out.... or, if films is more your thing - he has a vast array of movie reviews as well...... here's his website...

http://cinemassacre.com/
    James Rolfe appreciation thread :D

Me likey.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited October 2011 Posts: 28,694
    I absolutely love Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw of Escapist fame. It is a great gaming news site that Ben does video reviews of video games. His section of the site is called Zero Punctuation. He has a great art style, knowledge, and sense of humor that will leave you on the floor kicking your legs in laughter. He has been with the escapist for a few years now and is always entertaining. It is best to watch his old videos before his new just to see how much he has adapted. He is a great mind and I highly recommend him.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation
  • BJMDDS
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 12,837
    jeremyjahns
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 12,837
    double post
  • edited October 2011 Posts: 1,497
    Yeah, AVGN is brilliant. I also love RedLetterMedia-the Plinkett reviews are great--the Star Wars Prequel reviews in particular are a must see. I also check out Confused Matthew (he's a bit controversial) and Nostalgia Critic.

http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-wars/
    I like PhillyD and KassemG for my big timers. Got some low level people that vlog and are very interesting people. Links later ( on mobile )
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I'm going for two groups of podcasters:
    • Andy & John of thehollywoodsaloon.com
    • Arnie, Suart, Brock, Marjorie, Jacob and others of nowplayingpodcast.com
    I always love to hear their shows and I do so on a daily basis. By now, they both have over 100 shows one can listen to. I put them on my mp3 player and that's what I'm hearing when I go to work: educated film buffs having lengthy discussions about film. Huge recommend!