On Her Majesty's Secret Service Could have been More Successful if Timothy Dalton Starred?

2»

Comments

• NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Dalton always had a certain ruggedness when he played Heathcliffe in Wuthering Heights

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSDaooEY-7h-yqfoVk2FNBluSHexhNdG7MsdMZq55OSl4oWlAEPYw

but by the time he was Bond his potential was unrealised and he was well off the boil.

And I agree with the consensus that he would've been rumoured to be in the Prods thoughts and maybe lined up for a screen test. Not offered the role though.
    Dalton was unfairly perceived as an usurper when he was cast instead of Brosnan. Imagine him succeeding to Connery.

I think the only person who could pull off succeeding to Connery was... Roger Moore.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    NicNac wrote: »
    Dalton always had a certain ruggedness when he played Heathcliffe in Wuthering Heights

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSDaooEY-7h-yqfoVk2FNBluSHexhNdG7MsdMZq55OSl4oWlAEPYw

but by the time he was Bond his potential was unrealised and he was well off the boil.

And I agree with the consensus that he would've been rumoured to be in the Prods thoughts and maybe lined up for a screen test. Not offered the role though.

He looks like Lou Ferrigno in the Hulk in that shot.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Dalton was unfairly perceived as an usurper when he was cast instead of Brosnan. Imagine him succeeding to Connery.

I think the only person who could pull off succeeding to Connery was... Roger Moore.

That's true, but what if Moore was Connery's immediate successor? Would he have been as successful as he managed in 1973-1985?

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Ludovico wrote: »

That's true, but what if Moore was Connery's immediate successor? Would he have been as successful as he managed in 1973-1985?
    I'm inclined to think so @DaltonCraig007. I think Moore could have pulled off a lavish production like OHMSS with aplomb. Vulnerability would have come easier to him, and I believe that film needed a fresh face rather than Connery due to the Fleming'esque storyline. He was a popular actor by then and probably would have been accepted, like he was in 1973.
    Moore doing OHMSS might have also given a darker edge to his whole tenure, influenced it like this.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Michael G. Wilson has also said that Dalton got an offer for OHMSS, and again a few times later.

Lazenby was however the perfect Bond imo.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    edited May 2019 Posts: 3,497
    OHMSS was a huge hit, I don't know why people keep on saying it "flopped". This despite having a dull lead actor. (It was the tenth highest grossing movie of 1969)

The rest of the cast, setting, music and of course that shocking ending more than make up for him. And those are the reasons that it's been in my top 5 Bondmovies since forever.