Hoping to clear up the air

12346»

Comments

I appreciate that Luds is trying to speak out and communicate. That effort counts for a lot. Thanks, man. Let's all move forward and see what happens. Let's talk about Bond. Sounds fun, right? :-$
    This thread smells like elitists!!!!!!
  • No it doesn't.
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    The MI6 ELITE
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Quoting Moore: This thread smells like elitists!!!!!!
    It does now. I smell it too.
  • edited March 2011 Posts: 5,767
    I think there are several issues here.
    Waking up one morning and finding that one´s favorite playground has fallen victim to spontaneous combustion is one thing. Losing a database that probably was more than unique is another thing.
    As for the former, you can call me names now, but I don´t think anyone should make himself so dependent on a virtual community. Yes, I know, it´s more complicated than that, but still. I don´t find it too difficult to find some foothold on this new playground, even though I´m still not too fond of some visual components.
    As for the latter, considering the fact that a lot of people gathered an amazing amount of data about one big topic and also a lot of smaller ones, it´s forever going to be a ***** that that data is lost.
    Is that data definitly lost forever, or is there still hope that it may be recovered and made available ?
  • It took me a couple of days to find out this place and I can tell you that, while I support a total reform of the forum, they way they handled this was unprofessional. No email support like the rest of the guys and gals and hardly any notice from the old forum. The fact that they kept my info and profile protected is not so bad, but the discussions that we all had, especially some important ones, will be missed.
  • edited April 2011 Posts: 37
    I hadn't logged on to the forum (the old forum) for a couple of weeks, and when I did, I got redirected to some "dark" bond site, which I hated. So with a little effort, I landed here, and here is where I choose to stay.

Thank you for your efforts in this somewhat difficult situation.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Welcome Bond_Ed. Thanks for your kind words.
  • I think like all things in life, change is welcomed or it isn't. But change is always needed. In terms of heritage with the old boards, I can imagine some members who have invested a considerable amount of man hours to contribute to the cause, may feel a bit aaaaaaaaaaaah. But change is always good and a reboot will take you into new directions. I'm just thankful all of us have a place to exchange info and delight in news of our common love; the world of James Bond.

So for this one time only, thank you mods and admin team I think you've done a cracking job and long may the mission continue.
    Thanks for the kindness, forgotmyusername. I'm glad you understand why it was done and how it will make this a better place. You can contribute to that with your good sense of humour and insightful posts. Hoping to talk to you soon, friend!
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    edited April 2011 Posts: 3,497
    My goodness, this is twitter meets facebook.

Oh well.
  • Those names are taken JC - how about facetwit or twitface? I prefer Bondtitter.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited April 2011 Posts: 15,686
    Hello, Fawlty titties...
    Quoting JamesCraig: My goodness, this is twitter meets facebook.

Oh well.
    In terms of content though it's nothing like that at all.

Good to have you back, JC! :) Hoe gaat het ermee, makker?
    Haven't been around much recently, but I just found this thread and wanted to put my thoughts in.

I miss the old user data, and the old posts that were on there, but I feel like the new forum itself is much more convenient (taking you to the first post after your last post when you click on the thread, saving drafts, quoting, etc.). I do miss it looking a little more like a message board and some of the old discussion categories though.

I really hope the old data can be recovered somehow (all the post counts, 00 ranking, the extremely popular threads, etc.) - that's my main gripe. That, and the fact that we didn't get a heads up that any of this was happening. We've lost some really good members over the years, and I feel like it may put some people off that they weren't given a heads up about the change and may keep them away or make some people leave.

• LudsLuds MIA
    I agree with you @bondboy007, I do miss the old data but find the new site to have great advantages as well. Things like ranks will be re-introduced eventually as the site grows and the admins determine uses for them. This site is highly customizable and many changes can be put in place.

Due to issues between the staff of the old MI6 and MI6forums, a move to a new home, MI6-HQ and MI6community had to be done. Had the admins sent a notice about an upcoming move to a new forum (like mass email to all members), the old forum would have likely be taken down instantly which would have left us all without a forum until this one was set up. Instead the admins chose to prepare the new forum in advance, and redirect to it. Sadly it only took about 8h for the original domain registrar to notice and remove the link and point to another site. The admins of the old site who in most part remain, tried their best to find a solution to this disagreement with the original domain registrar. After nearly 2 years it became clear that a solution was not possible. We are deeply sorry that this issue has caused confusion and frustration and upset members of the old community. However, we are trying our best to build a new and strong community with this new forum.