What are you reading?

Comments

• Just finished reading "Typhoon" by Joseph Conrad, and I'm moving onto "The God Delusion" by Richard Dawkins next.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @Quantum_of_Tomorrow
    Interesting choice, mate. Let me know how you feel about Dawkins' book. It should make you a different and better person. ;-)
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    @Quantum_of_Tomorrow
    Interesting choice, mate. Let me know how you feel about Dawkins' book. It should make you a different and better person. ;-)

I started reading it a few years ago. My wife had bought it to herself. I didn't finish it. Not that it's bad, but I find Dawkins' writing quite dry.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    ROCAMBOLE 6: COUNT ARTOFF by Ponson du Terrail.
    This first came out around 1850, I think. My edition is from 1917, and it s a virgin. I have to cut these books open, due to the bookbinding techniques back then.
    458329318.jpg

1917 edition. More cutting needed.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Talking of cutting pages I got a copy of the Apocrytha of the New Testament from an antiques shop a while back and a lot of the pages were still uncut at the top. I had to cut them open with a razor blade. I take it that that was a common occurrence with old books? I suppose the printing and binding techniques were more primitive than they are today.
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Talking of cutting pages I got a copy of the Apocrytha of the New Testament from an antiques shop a while back and a lot of the pages were still uncut at the top. I had to cut them open with a razor blade. I take it that that was a common occurrence with old books? I suppose the printing and binding techniques were more primitive than they are today.

It was common for as long as books were handmade.

Was it a fault in the printing process or just something that was expected that the reader would have to do? Did it tend to happen with all of the books in that batch or just some of them?
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    JnkL.gif
    Good articles in this publication....... :)>-
    JnkL.gif
    Good articles in this publication....... :)>-

It's not so much for reading as for looking at the pictures. It is good for learning about female anatomy. It's also good for learning how to count though everything seems to come in twos so you don't get very far unfortunately.

Was it a fault in the printing process or just something that was expected that the reader would have to do? Did it tend to happen with all of the books in that batch or just some of them?

I think this was normal at least for paper backs. I don t know much about it, but I would guess some book publishers cut open certain editions of books for their customers . I also think the bookbinding techniques would vary. I have owned books from the 19th century earlier, where there were no signs of any cutting.
    ANGEL S INFERNO (William Hjortsberg, 2020)
    Hjortsberg died in 2017, so I never thought this sequel to Falling Angel (1978) would come out, but here it is.The first book was the basis for the 1987 movie ANGEL HEART.The film cut out some of the most gruesome scenes.
    rH6OebYHrmJtdGmxOaCJI7zxrzM.jpg
    Moving on with Rocambole 9 and 10, by Ponson du Terrail. Just found out these originally came out in the period 1857-1870.
    My editions are from the WW1 era, and they are all uncut.
    Moving on with Rocambole 9 and 10, by Ponson du Terrail. Just found out these originally came out in the period 1857-1870.

Where do you find this stuff?
    I'm in my Halloween reads already, so right now it's Night Terrors: The Gjost Stories of E.F. Benson.

A secondhand shop with an online site.

Nice. I frequent my local secondhand bookshops (since the lockdown has lifted again) and they are a home from home to me. Sometimes I have some great finds and I always leave with something. It's so important to support bricks and mortar shops like these lest they disappear altogether. Sadly, some already have.

Nice. I frequent my local secondhand bookshops (since the lockdown has lifted again) and they are a home from home to me. Sometimes I have some great finds and I always leave with something. It's so important to support bricks and mortar shops like these lest they disappear altogether. Sadly, some already have.
    There is just one in my hometown now. Unfortunately, it s a mess, with books stacked from the floor to the ceiling. Impossible to look properly through it, so I don t frequent that place.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited September 2021 Posts: 12,459
    Back after a very very long break.
    Looked thru several pages back on this thread.
    Just ordered The Splendid And The Vile; thanks, @Birdleson. I think I'll really enjoy it. Also, I'll see if I can order The Ipcress File.

By the way, I love the movie The Saint with Val and Elisabeth (they had good chemistry; I do enjoy the film). I've read 2, maybe 3 of the original stories. Very dated, prose that will make you roll your eyes ... yet still fun.

My input here is to suggest a few books I've found to be excellent, worth your time. All beautifully written and thoughtful:

1) Circe, by Madeline Miller. Such an original, gorgeously written, evocative take on the Greek goddess. It's a splendid read, beautifully written, and thought provoking.
    2) A Woman Of No Importance, by Sonia Purnell. Compelling, detailed, and rewarding story of Virginia Hall - WWII spy, whose loss of a leg in a shooting accident early in life did not hold her back from becoming a very important part of the Resistance in France, working with the British to sabotage the Nazis. Bravery and intelligence shine throughout. The CIA honored her later; even one of their training buildings is named for her. Virginia's life, her work in WWII especially, is astonishing. This is a wonderful true story I highly recommend.
    3) The Queen's Gambit by Walter Tevis (He also wrote The Hustler, which I have not yet read). I am still overseas and cannot view the recent series (drat!). This novel is excellent, and I'm enjoying re-reading it. If you liked the tv series, please read this book. It's less than 300 pages; concise and draws you in. I doubt you will be disappointed.
  • edited September 2021 Posts: 14,834
    @4EverBonded I've read Circe. Loved it. The Song of Achilles is just as great.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited September 2021 Posts: 12,459
    I am sure it is as beautifully written, @Ludo. I just haven't felt up to reading a sad story. I'm glad you enjoyed Circe! I hope more people take a chance on it. The subject matter being Greek mythology may not interest some at first. This is so highly original, though. I'm happy to share this book.
    What's great about Madeline Miller is that she knows her stuff. She doesn't sugercoat it, Bowdlerise it or Disneyise it. Yes she takes liberties with the myths, but always respecting the spirit of the source material. Hades is not turned into Satan, there's no manichean morality, etc. I can't wait to read more novels from her. I'd love to see a movie adaptation of her work, although I fear they'd muck it up big time. And depicting the gods onscreen, as her prose depicts them, might be impossible to do.

There is just one in my hometown now. Unfortunately, it s a mess, with books stacked from the floor to the ceiling. Impossible to look properly through it, so I don t frequent that place.

That's a pity. There are still a few proper secondhand bookshops in the surrounding towns where I live. I recall a secondhand bookshop like that here too in our capital city which I found by accident and have so far only visited once, back in March 2019. It was fairly long but pretty cramped inside and the books on the shelves were layered two or three deep so it was literally impossible to check all of the books that they had in stock. As much of a booklover as I am, that got annoying after a while and I found myself giving up eventually. That amount of books does tend to turn your head slightly after a while. I got the impression that some of the books had probably been undisturbed by the light of day for many years. To be honest, I was glad to get out of it in the end. Something that I never thought I'd ever say about a bookshop! That said, I did find a good few interesting finds in there so I'm glad I happened upon it.
  • 51DX3cqKthL._SY445_SX342_QL70_ML2_.jpg
    The author has performed a valuable service with this heavily researched history of the little-covered campaign, focusing on the Italian side... Alas, the Polish-to-English translation can be awkward at times.
    MODESTY BLAISE(1965) by Peter O Donnell.

I have been familiar with the comic strip (1963-2001) since I was a child, and saw the 60s adaptation of this book a few years ago. I doubt O Donnell was too happy about that film. Monica Vitti as Modesty Blaise wasn t bad casting. Same for Terence Stamp as Willie Garvin and Dirk Bogarde as the villain, but the direction, and how it turned out in general, was awful. Like an unfunny parody. The book itself is rather good as far as thrillers go.
    edited September 2021 Posts: 17,809

I have been familiar with the comic strip (1963-2001) since I was a child, and saw the 60s adaptation of this book a few years ago. I doubt O Donnell was too happy about that film. Monica Vitti as Modesty Blaise wasn t bad casting. Same for Terence Stamp as Willie Garvin and Dirk Bogarde as the villain, but the direction, and how it turned out in general, was awful. Like an unfunny parody. The book itself is rather good as far as thrillers go.

I watched a bit of the film earlier this year but then bailed on it part of the way through. I must try to watch it again soon. I have a copy of the Modesty Blaise novel and must get around to reading it one day.

On the Wikipedia entry for the 1966 film version the villain Gabriel, played by Dirk Bogarde is described as "another criminal mastermind and Modesty's equal, defined by camp mannerisms and a sensitivity to violence in spite of his ruthlessness." I'm wondering if Gabriel has a sensitivity to violence in the novel as well, @Thunderfinger? I'm intrigued by this reported aspect of his character.

I watched a bit of the film earlier this year but then bailed on it part of the way through. I must try to watch it again soon. I have a copy of the Modesty Blaise novel and must get around to reading it one day.

On the Wikipedia entry for the 1966 film version the villain Gabriel, played by Dirk Bogarde is described as "another criminal mastermind and Modesty's equal, defined by camp mannerisms and a sensitivity to violence in spite of his ruthlessness." I'm wondering if Gabriel has a sensitivity to violence in the novel as well, @Thunderfinger? I'm intrigued by this reported aspect of his character.

The novel is far more violent and the one thing that sticks out with Gabriel besides his bizarre face is that he loves Tom and Jerry cartoons. I am just halfway through this first novel, so can t really answer your question yet.

The novel is far more violent and the one thing that sticks out with Gabriel besides his bizarre face is that he loves Tom and Jerry cartoons. I am just halfway through this first novel, so can t really answer your question yet.

Ah, I see. Thanks. I have a Pan tie-in film edition as well as a newer edition with a pink cover. I just thought there might've been a crossover with Colonel Sun Liang-tan in how he regretted torturing Bond after the fact.

Ah, I see. Thanks. I have a Pan tie-in film edition as well as a newer edition with a pink cover. I just thought there might've been a crossover with Colonel Sun Liang-tan in how he regretted torturing Bond after the fact.

That 50th anniversary edition is the one I have as well. It was the one I could get hold of, and being the first it was a good place to start. It is time someone made a better effort to film these books/comics. Give the weirdos who want a female actor as James Bond a Modesty Blaise film series instead.

That 50th anniversary edition is the one I have as well. It was the one I could get hold of, and being the first it was a good place to start. It is time someone made a better effort to film these books/comics. Give the weirdos who want a female actor as James Bond a Modesty Blaise film series instead.

Yes, I got a few of the Modesty Blaise novels all at once in a charity bookshop two years ago along with a pile of other 60s spy classics. Yes, I've often said that we already have a female James Bond - Modesty Blaise - and we don't need another one. Of course the wokeists won't have heard of her as they generally don't know what they're talking about.