What are Blofeld's defining characteristics?

edited August 2016 in General Discussion Posts: 676
In your opinion, what exactly makes Blofeld who he is? This is a question I assume the writers of Spectre must have asked themselves while working on that film. Is he some combination of a hidden face, an eye scar, a white cat, a bald head? Is he the guy who kills incompetent underlings in creative ways and threatens the entire world with his schemes?

For me, Blofeld is a few things: hyper-intelligent and well-spoken (perhaps the most intelligent of Bond's villains), apolitical, and Bond's opposite in a few ways - he's asexual, he's not a lover of food, and he doesn't smoke or drink.

Appearance-wise, I picture a large man (tall, well-built) with a doll-like face (long eyelashes, shining eyes). The first film version of Blofeld I ever saw was Max Von Sydow in Never Say Never Again, and since then he's been my image of Blofeld. His appearance as Jesus in The Greatest Story Ever Told solidified this image further, as Von Sydow has eyes similar to a doll's in that film. I find the descriptions of Blofeld in Fleming's OHMSS and YOLT a bit silly and difficult to picture.

I liked seeing a carafe of water on the table near Blofeld's chair during the Rome meeting in Spectre. However, I didn't find the character especially intelligent or imposing in the film, which was a shame. I think Telly Savalas in OHMSS captured these aspects of the character best.

What do you think? What physical traits, personality traits, and motives define Blofeld?

Comments

• edited February 2017 Posts: 676
    There's a thread on these forums about "who should play Blofeld?" but what I find more interesting is "how should Blofeld be presented?" i.e. how can he be presented in a way that isn't just, you know, Dr. Evil.

I thought it was very ill-advised for Waltz to wear a facial scar in Spectre (ditto with the cat and nehru suit), but if they really had to go in that direction, perhaps they could have used Fleming's idea of Blofeld reinventing himself physically. Perhaps Blofeld could have purposely disfigured his face and removed all his hair as part of an effort to change his identity after escaping Bond. I think that would have felt fresh and it could have provided a very dark scene of Blofeld scarring his own face.

Does anyone have any thoughts about what "makes" the Blofeld character, or how he could be presented?
    I agree that Blofeld should be Bond's polar opposite and a complete puritan. That is why I was never totally convinced by Savalas: he flirts with Tracy and he smokes. Otherwise he is very similar to the novel TB Blofeld. I love how in the novels Blofeld is a shapeshifter, which has never been properly explained in the movies.

He is maybe the most difficult character to cast faithfully, this is why they used shortcuts in the movies to make him stand out: his scar, bald head, cat, etc.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Right. Those are just movie gimmicks. One thing they got right with SPECTRE, was that he is a gatherer of information.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Not a dog person, typically.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    edited February 2017 Posts: 3,985
    A cruel, ruthless megalomaniac, who is slightly insane.

Always found him a bit dull in the books. I preferred Hugo Drax, Goldfinger and Dr No in the books. They were interesting characters.
    I preferred Hugo Drax

There you have a dog person.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I preferred Hugo Drax

There you have a dog person.

Weapon Dogs. Great idea and still relevant today. :)
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    I like the idea of Blofeld constantly changing disguises--as in the novel OHMSS. I wish they did this in the films. The scar is too obvious...and only in two films! (I suppose of the Blofeld appearances Eon/Mendes sees YOLT as the most iconic?) Really, they only needed the cat...
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 676
    echo wrote: »
    The scar is too obvious...and only in two films! (I suppose of the Blofeld appearances Eon/Mendes sees YOLT as the most iconic?) Really, they only needed the cat...
    I would even bet the scarred version of Blofeld is best remembered by the public for appearing in three Austin Powers films rather than for his appearance in YOLT.
    I like the idea of Blofeld constantly changing disguises--as in the novel OHMSS. I wish they did this in the films. The scar is too obvious...and only in two films! (I suppose of the Blofeld appearances Eon/Mendes sees YOLT as the most iconic?) Really, they only needed the cat...

I actually think the cat was overused.
    edited February 2017 Posts: 17,787
    Ludovico wrote: »

I actually think the cat was overused.

It certainly was but at least they made it a little bit more subtle in Spectre. I'd have been just as happy had it not returned at all of course!
    edited February 2017 Posts: 5,962
    You could argue that they NEED the cat to telegraph to John Q. Public who Blofeld is because of the many recastings and sometimes boring performances.
    The cat did give a boring performance, I agree.
    You could argue that they NEED the cat to telegraph to John Q. Public who Blofeld is because of the many recastings and sometimes boring performances.

Yes, well I had that exact same thought of course. Bond films are made for a general audience, something us diehards can forget from time to time!
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    The next casting needs to follow Fleming....exactly.
    The cat did give a boring performance, I agree.

Cat performances, best to worst:

1. FYEO
    2. DAF
    3. YOLT
    4. FRWL
    5. TB
    6. SP

To be honest, I can't remember if the cat is in both FRWL and TB.

Here's my bold Bond 25 prediction: in the final scene, the cat finally gets a name!
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Yes Tiddles