How Many Seasons should a TV Show Get

edited June 2016 in General Discussion Posts: 2,341
watching the season 4 finale of "Orphan Black" last night it was announced that the next season in 2017 (Season 5 ) will be the last.
I think five years is as good as it should get and most shows should consider five years a blessing rather than keep going and going. Grey's Anatomy has been going for more that 10 years! that's too long. This show should have died a couple of years back.

I hate to see shows fall into the "Lost" trap. For four years the writers kept viewers intrigued but rather than starting to tie up loose ends after season 4 the creators kept opening more cans of worms so that by the time the show stumbled to a finale after season 6 the program stunk to high heaven. Later the creators admitted that they had painted themselves into a corner and did not know how to get out of it.

"The Good Wife" got seven seasons and managed to end on a decent note. I would rather see my favorite shows take the Star Trek: TNG approach -- seven seasons and go out on top rather than stinking up the airways like Greys Anatomy and Lost.

What say you? What shows do you think need to "just die" and how many years do you think one should run?

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I think it depends on the series. Classic Doctor Who should have had another series in 1990. Write Ace out, bring in the new companion and let the 7th Doctor have a suitable regeneration into the 8th Doctor (Richard Griffiths).

Dead Like Me should have had, at the least, a 3rd series. Lord knows there were numerous hints at potential story arcs for future series. It's it's not as if writers were painted into a corner.

On the other hand, Hustle lost some of it's magic around series 4, the following 4 series never recovered that magic. The plots seemed smaller, and the reveals weren't that unforeseeable.

The Walking Dead has notched up 6 series, i'm not sure how much longer it could run. According to David Alpert, they have planned out the show up to series 12.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I agree with the Major. It depends on the series and the writers. Dallas went strong for more than 5 years, and Mad Men was excellent too. 24 had a rebirth for season 7/8, as did Dexter (at least I liked Season 7)..
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited June 2016 Posts: 15,690
    I think the key is to have the writers 'map out' a clear idea on how the show ends right away. 'Lost' was written 'on the go' every day with no clear ending plans, and it showed in season 6 they had no idea where they were going. On the other hand, a show like 'The Shield' seemed to have it's ending known to the writers from the get go, which is why it stayed sharp for all 7 seasons.
    @DaltonCraig007 your comments are spot on! Babylon 5 had a clear five year arc in mind when it premiered and that helped a lot. result: a show that never jumped the shark.

Yes, it makes sense that a show should have an "end game" in mind when they first pitch the idea. Walking Dead-12? You've got to be kidding!

Game Of Thrones should start thinking about wrapping up too. Daenyrys need to bring her "children" to heel and get her ass over to Westeros and take back the throne.

24 was pretty strong the first 4 series but by season 5 the act had started to wear thin. We started to wonder: "How many ways can one save the world?"
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I've always thought that Seasons 5 in particular, and 7 were the strongest 24 Seasons.