Sizing Up Connery-DAF

edited October 2011 in Bond Movies Posts: 68
On the old site I had discussed writing a novelization of DAF that would tie it closer to OHMSS. Criticisms of this idea aside, one of the members suggested I write the part of Tiffany and Bond's first meeting from Tiffanys perspective. My question is should I use Connerys appearance as he appeared in DAF or an earlier look say from YOLT? Further, how would you size Connery's Bond up in terms of physical appearance (e.g he was tall or short, ruthless looking or laid back etc.) Thanks for your input. I have my own idea BTW of how I intend Tiffany to size him up depending on which era of Connery's Bond I chose, but I'm curious as to your thoughts.

Comments

If you are depicting Jill St. John's Bond, then I think it's best to keep 1971 looking Sean Connery. St. John was an older Bond girl--I think she was mabye 33 at the time. So this fit with an older Bond. The two of them had great chemistry together.
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    If your doing it from Miss Case's prospective, it would be cool to the Connery look from GF and TB. He would still be fairly tall and a bit ruthless looking but can still attract the ladies.
    DAF had some of the most amazing leading ladies in the person of Jill St. John & Lana wood as Plenty O'Toole. The script is a bit of a mess, strangly uncoherent. Sean Connery is brilliant even if his clothes are somewhat questionable. The fight in the Elavator belongs in the top three 007 fight (together with that other classic from FRWL). It does play in Amsterdam and is about diamonds instead of drugs. O:)
    The final battle with Blofeld is somewhat of a letdown, however the ending on the cruiseship is more than excellent.
    What hurts this movie most is the bloody brilliant OHMSS that came before it. DAF should have an continuation of 007's anger and pain after losing his wife. And it doesn't have any intensity when he meets the murderer of his wife. That carstunt is hilarious, and is perhaps the worst moment in the franchise. Had George Lucas made the picture CGI would have corected that moment.
    The movie is still easily Connery's worst 007 outing (counting NSNA as well), he sleepwalks through the movie besides the earlier mentioned elavator scene. He is still charming and suave. However in his next 007 vehicle he was far better, good that DAF wasn't his last.

• What hurts this movie most is the bloody brilliant OHMSS that came before it. DAF should have an continuation of 007's anger and pain after losing his wife. And it doesn't have any intensity when he meets the murderer of his wife.
    That's part of what I'm hoping to correct in my story, btw. Thus certain lines like Moneypenny's "a diamond in a ring perhaps?" Bond flinches at and Monneypenny realizes she has said something wrong.
    The reason I started this was because I'm having real difficulty in believing that someone of Tiffany Cases beauty would fall for Connery's Bond in DAF. She is a bit of Bitch, but when Bond has always played on his sex appeal is she really going to find a greying, toupe wearing, pudgy middle aged man attractive?

In a way it was good to see him back. He seemed to be enjoying this romp (more inspired than his performance in You Only live Twice. That being said he was obviously overweight, and had outgrown the part. It was time for him to move on.
    I never liked DAF and it ranks with MOONRAKER as a low point in the series.
    I so agree with Saint Mark's comments. I ditto his and add them to mine. You have have good observations. I totally agree with all of them.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @OHMSS69 Please avoid double posts. Thank you.