The 'Murder, She Wrote' Discussion and Appreciation Thread

DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
edited May 2016 in General Movies & TV Posts: 17,730
murder-she-wrote-title-art.png

I'm starting this thread hoping to get a good appreciation/discussion topic going on the US TV detective mystery show Murder, She Wrote starring Angela Lansbury as amateur sleuth and crime fiction author Mrs Jessica Fletcher.

I hope there are some fans out there. I'm currently working my way through Season 1 of this show on DVD and it's a lot better than I expected it to be. I'm more of a Columbo fan but Murder, She Wrote was created by the same people.

Murder, She Wrote ran from 1984 until 1996 and there are an amazing 264 episodes, as well as 4 TV movies, the last of which appeared in 2003.

First of all, I'd be interested in fellow members telling me their favourite episodes of the show...

Comments

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited May 2016 Posts: 9,020
    YES YES YES!!!!!!! YEEEEESSSSS!!!!!!!! FINALLY!

F I N A L L Y!!!!

OH THANK GOD, THANK DRAGONPOL, THE WORLD STILL TURNS....

I waited my whole MI6 life for this thread to happen.

MURDER, SHE WROTE is my favourite classic crime-tv-show. If anything then only Columbo rivals it.

I have the whole thing on DVD. Including the fabulous 4 movies.
    I'm in love with Angela Lansbury, Doris Day, Julie Andrews, Audrey Hepburn and Barbra Streisand. Really.

Bedknobs And Broomsticks is my favourite movie of that era.

I'm still in shock, but I will certainly contribute to this fabulous, marvelous, fantastic thread.

Ok, I may be slightly enthusiastic about this. Slightly. No need to worry. I'll calm down :))

Now the only thing missing on MI6 is a Charlie Chan thread and I'll be happy-go-lucky till judgment day.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I knew you'd be on board from the start, dear @BondJasonBond006! I'd even thought of mentioning you in the OP!
    I enjoyed the show but found that if a majority of murderers waited a week (when JESS was out of town) they would of gotten away with it....
    Here a fact that should get you thinking:

Cabot Cove, Maine (Jessica Fletcher's hometown):
    Population 3.500
    Killings: 274

This gives it an annual murder rate of 1.490 per million, more than 50 per cent higher than Honduras, where it is 910 per million.
    It is the most dangerous place on earth. Honduras pales in comparison.

To a more friendly topic:

Cabot Cove had two sheriffs:
    Amos Tupper was the first sheriff on the show from 1984-1988. He was followed by Mort Metzger from 1985-1996.

The town doctor is Seth Hazzlith.

Jessica has an extended family. The best known is her nephew Grady Fletcher.
    Sadly Jessica never had a child on her own, her husband Frank died before the show started.

Her full name is Jessica "J.B." Beatrice Fletcher, McGill is her maiden name. She is of Irish ancestry.

Thomas Magnum and Jessica Fletcher teamed up once to solve a crime in a double-episode.
    As you are on the first season I will give you my favourite four episodes of it:

Chronologically:

1. The Murder Of Sherlock Holmes:
    Grady Fletcher already appears for the first time in that episode. And Jessica's heart gets broken at the end.

14. Paint Me A Murder
    Features legends Stewart Granger and Cesar Romero.

15. Tough Guys Don't Cry
    Harry McGraw (The unforgettable Jerry Orbach) makes his first appearance.
    He was so popular in this role that they made a spin-off "The Law and Harry McGraw" which sadly only lasted for 16 episodes.

18. Murder Takes The Bus
    Easily one of the very best episodes in the entire run of the show. A true classic.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I liked the show but obviously not as much as @BondJasonBond006 ;)
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I loved this show, was forced to watch it as a kid but it was one of those snuggly shows that you could watch and try to figure out who the killer was while eating tea and biscuits lol. God bless Aunt Jess.
    I loved this show, was forced to watch it as a kid but it was one of those snuggly shows that you could watch and try to figure out who the killer was while eating tea and biscuits lol. God bless Aunt Jess.
    As you are on the first season I will give you my favourite four episodes of it:

Chronologically:

1. The Murder Of Sherlock Holmes:
    Grady Fletcher already appears for the first time in that episode. And Jessica's heart gets broken at the end.

14. Paint Me A Murder
    Features legends Stewart Granger and Cesar Romero.

15. Tough Guys Don't Cry
    Harry McGraw (The unforgettable Jerry Orbach) makes his first appearance.
    He was so popular in this role that they made a spin-off "The Law and Harry McGraw" which sadly only lasted for 16 episodes.

18. Murder Takes The Bus
    Easily one of the very best episodes in the entire run of the show. A true classic.

Yes, out of those I have seen from Season One, 'Paint Me A Murder' is the best one so far. :)
    I seem to remember in one of the last few seasons an English detective seemed to
    solve some cases with Jessica, just narrating the story ?
    Yes, Dennis Stanton, played by Keith Michell, who appeared in 9 episodes. He was a former jewel thief who worked as a detective for an insurance company.

In France, the show was shown on the first private channel, la 5, before going on TF1 after la 5 died in the 90s.
    Dennis Stanton is my favourite side-character of Murder, She Wrote. By far.
    I love all his episodes and have seen them countless times.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I like the Irish cop. The one who kidnaps Jess and takes her to the embassey with him? And those brother and sister are there hiding from being taken back to their home country? Remember? And there is a murder in the garden at nighttime? I liked that cop, anyway.

I also loved the episode where the young writer writes a novel based on the inhabitants of THE COVE where Jessy lives. And all the people there have a hissy fit. I was in stitches. :))
    I think there is a Film set in Ireland, Might be East, by South East ? It was on
    One afternoon, could have been the old technique of joining two episodes
    Together. like they did with The man from uncle.
    There are some true comical classics which feature Cabot Cove's insane inhabitants. They make look the people in Rome, Wisconsin (Picket Fences, another of my favourites) look like normal folks :))

2.2 Joshua Peabody Died Here...Possibly

4.7 If It's Thursday, It Must Be Beverly

4.12 Who Threw The Barbitals In Mrs. Fletcher's Chowder?

4.18 Benedict Arnold Slipped Here

5.17 The Sins Of Castle Cove @Mendes4Lyfe is the one you mentioned with the novel based on the people of Cabot Cove

6.11 Town Father

7.6 A Body To Die For

If you look for comedy gold and a good murder mystery and even some dark moments check those episodes out!
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    The Major is an absolute fruitcake if I recall.
    The police officers or detectives in charge of the case of the week were entertainingly useless.

I heard the show, 'how to get away with murder' was supposed to be a sort of reboot of MsW but they retooled it due to backlash.
    How To Get Away With Murder is basically Grey's Anatomy meets I Know What You Did Last Summer. I watched about 9 episodes but it was too unrealistic.
    But Viola Davis rocks. It's almost enough to see her act to enjoy the show, she's that great.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    My favourite episode The Monte Carlo Murders I wonder why ?.
    Mrcoggins wrote: »
    My favourite episode The Monte Carlo Murders I wonder why ?.

Yeah...don't know why either. But what I know it has Maryam d'Abo in it and The Saint Ian Ogilvy who was 5 times in Murder, She Wrote.

I really can't keep away anymore from the Box sets now. Just popped in Disc 2 of Season 7 and will watch A Body To Die For.
    A hilariously funny episode with Cabot Cove citizen Wayne Bennett (Jason Beghe) opening a gym to conduct customised workout regiments, also privately, for the ladies of Cabot Cove.
    What those women are up to has to be seen to be believed. Pure comedy gold and it features one of my favourite side-characters, Eve Simpson.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Right first time Jason.

@jasonbond, you're a real, dedicated super fan of the show.
    I'm really looking forward to seeing the episode 'Murder by Appointment Only' which stars Robert Culp, from Season 2.
    Another big Murder, She Wrote fan here! I've loved the show since I was very young. I used to watch it Sunday nights with my great aunt, who lived with us until she died at 100. It's always nice to see James Bond actors show up on the series too, such as Kabir Bedi in "Curse of the Danaav."
    And Yaphet Koto
    doubleoego wrote: »

Funnily enough this is the same scenario for me. vividly remember watching this on a Saturday early evening in my childhood with the whole family. Haven't seen it for awhile though.

The fact this thread exists brought a big smile to my face!
    Murder, She Wrote sees some very serious personal stories of Jessica Fletcher.
    The show was never about drama and Jessica's character development went only so far but the episodes concerning her past are an absolute must-see.

Here two of them that can't be missed!

5.7 The Last Flight Of The Dixie Damsel
    Jessica is summoned to California where a recently recovered Air Force plane could pin a decades-old murder on her dead husband Frank.

This is a tough one on Jessica. Frank was the love of her life and the prospect of him getting revealed as a potential murderer really gets to her.
    Angela Lansbury really shows here what a great actress she is. She never overacts the sadness or the worrying or grief.

7.19 Thursday's Child
    Jessica is pulled into a murder investigation by a woman who claims Jessica's husband fathered her son.

This may be the toughest one on Jessica. At first she is reluctant to believe the woman's claims, but more and more her story makes sense and is believable. In the end there is a surprise, but is it a good one?

Not every MSW episode ended happily. In fact it happens quite a lot, that Jessica in the end is very sad about how things turned out.

This is an example of a very dark episode:

7.17 The Prodigal Father
    Ned Jenks, who was presumed dead since a bank-robbery 20 years ago, returns to Cabot Cove, where his now adult daughter Bonnie lives with Dave Hastings. Plenty of villagers lost savings or their job in the robbery, some threaten Ned.

This episodes shows the otherwise happy-go-lucky people in Cabot Cove from a very different side. The return of Ned Jenks really sets off hate and prejudice and revenge.
    But Ned is not the innocent victim either. His character is deeply flawed and that's one of the beauties of this episode. There is no hero or innocent victim, and in the end downright evil can be found in Cabot Cove.
    One of my favourite episodes.
    Angela Lansburys finest performance was in The Manchurian Candidate though like many I was forced to watch Jessica Fletcher as a kid, it seemed to run for some time. Watched one of the late films out of curiosity recently, the film was set in the past was not that good IMO Lansbury was playing a ancester.