Fox to stop supplying James Bond DVDs from sale in Germany this January

JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
edited October 2011 in News Posts: 1,380
James Bond fans in Germany will have to act fast if they need to complete their DVD or Blu-Ray collection.

In a letter seen by MI6 to DVD and Blu-Ray stockists in Germany from 20th Century Fox, the distributor of the 007 series explains that they will be placing all Bond titles on moratorium from January 1st 2012. The company explains that the goal is to build hype and purchasing power ahead of the release of Bond 23 in November 2012. Keeping the titles off sale will create "optimal marketing conditions" later next year.

Only 12 of the 22 films in the official series have been released in the high-definition Blu-Ray format, as additional waves were cancelled during MGM's financial fiasco. It is understood that all work on the HD titles was completed ahead of the freeze. Since then, home entertainment distribution contracts have been <a href="http://www.mi6-hq.com/news/index.php?itemid=9379">re-upped with Fox util 2016</a>.

As previously reported by MI6, <a href="http://www.mi6-hq.com/news/index.php?itemid=9567">a major DVD and Blu-Ray campaign</a> is scheduled to be launched in Q4 2012 to celebrate the 50th anniversary of 007 on the silver screen, and to tie-in with the release of Bond 23 in cinemas.

It is expected that this moratorium will also take effect in other countries soon.

Comments

• How big is the Bond legend in Germany, I'm not all up on the Bond craze in some European countries, is there like a big demand for Bond merchandise etc, or is any interest on a lesser extent?
  • JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
    I think the main point here is that we should expect to see the same moratorium placed on Bond DVDs and Blu-Ray everywhere sooner or later. The logic to boost hunger around Bond 23 would apply to all.
  • How big is the Bond legend in Germany, I'm not all up on the Bond craze in some European countries, is there like a big demand for Bond merchandise etc, or is any interest on a lesser extent?
    Well, the Bond legend is as big here as in the rest of the world, I'd say. But, actually, I do not care if they end sales for the time being. I have all the Blu-rays from the existing Bond collection that I liked---the same goes for the not yet HD-released Bond movies on DVD.

Hm---I would even go as far as to say, they should end sales indeed. Imagine, a new wave of Blu-rays rolls in and hits all the remaining stock still out there. Would not exactly boost sales, would it?

I just hope that Fox will not try to force owners of current BDs to buy what they allready have in order to get new releases. Imagine, they packed "The spy who loved me" with "Goldfinger" and "Moonraker", for example.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited October 2011 Posts: 13,350
    This is what Warner Brother's did with the Harry Potter films. Lock them away to maximise sales at a later date except it'll only be for a year for Bond so no big deal.

I'm excited to see what the DVD/BD set looks like next year. Some generic artwork for all the films has to be included as per usual.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    I own all the Bond movies on DVD, so if it happens here in America, I'm okay.
    I'm waiting for blue-ray all the DVDs i've got are the ones ON blue-ray
  • edited October 2011 Posts: 74
    I would like to add an observation that I made on the past weekend. Most retailers in Germany had the Bond blu-rays on sale for about ten EUR in recent months. Interestingly, already at one spot, I noticed the price had gone up to 15 EUR.

Maybe that is a coincident, but I tend to assume they hope to sell more blu-rays of Bond in the holiday season, so before they have to pull the discs from the shelves, retailers seek for a way to maximize profit from remaining stocks.

That's fine with me---if my guess is right, that is. Fifteen EUR is still a very good price.

Actually, I do not think retailers hope that the news about Bond being pulled generates some more demand from the customer's side. Most people who go shopping just don't know about the Fox letter, I think. It is not BIG news, right . . ?

Fox adopted a different strategy for the final VHS release of the "original original" trilogy of the "star wars" saga---available for the last tinme, etc. . .

I have yet to see banners saying, "Buy Bond now---or don't befor the end of next year . . !"

;-)

I want "The spy who loved me" on Blu-ray. And I want it now . . !