It's 1983 and Moore doesn't look like he's coming back... Who do you want his successor to be?

edited April 2016 in Bond Movies Posts: 337
I've noticed there's one of these for 1980, although I find it strange since, at the time, I don't recall hints that Moore was about to leave, and he was fine age-wise as well. However, it is well known (or should be on here, anyway) that Moore planned on leaving after 1981's For Your Eyes Only but was called back when EoN panicked after hearing that Connery would be heading McClory's Never Say Never Again.

Now, if Moore had declined the offer, or if EoN had continued on to pick another Bond actor, who do you think would be suitable for the role? Should they have carried on with James Brolin? Or are you one of the Dalton sympathizers who thinks that he should've taken on the role earlier? Do you think your selection would've been successful against Connery in 1983? Or was EoN right in bringing back Moore? Discuss.

Comments

OP features one of Roger's best performances as Bond so wouldn't change a thing. Personally I don't think there was anyone particularly suitable around at the time. If I did have to change, I would go for Dalton. Although I think AVTAK would have been a better starting point for Timbo. But as discussed in the past I don't think Tim or Pierce were available for AVTAK so Rog took a big pay day and made one too many.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    I love OP - even more than FYEO - but if I had to pick a replacement for Moore, James Brolin sounds (or rather, looks) good. It's hard to say how successful he would be against Connery, but at the end of the day, I think EoN made the right choice. Yes, by renewing Moore's contract, we did get AVTAK, but we got OP. I don't think anyone else at the time could've done it like Moore did, and it certainly humiliated McClory.
    Going with someone else but Roger Moore against NSNA with Connery, would have been a huge gamble. It would be a terrifying debut for any new actor, contending with the original Bond. It could even have jeopardized the probability of the newbie's future outings.

I think OP won against NSNA in box office results because of the high entertainment value. I love OP with Moore and certainly cannot imagine Dalton doing this one.

Brosnan would be more apt for the OP rendition as we know it, but then we probably would have missed out on Maud Adams, who is one of my favorite Bond girls. With an age difference of 8 years and Brosnan looking younger than his then 30 years, I think the producers would have opted for another actress. And though I think Brosnan did quite well in the nineties, I'm afraid he would have paled in comparison with the original.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I don't know if this has been asked, but how would Octopussy have been with Sean? With the script tweaked a bit to suit him I can see it working.
    @talos7 Now that's an interesting take! I think you're right. Louis Jordan and Klaus Maria Brandauer play a bit the same villain: sophisticated and well bred. I also can see it work between Connery and Maud Adams. And some of the Moore-trademark scenes (the fight on the local market) would work for Connery.

But, and I know I'm going to take some heat for this, I think Connery's state of fitness might make some stunts in OP less credible. Stuntwise, there's a difference in dynamics between OP and NSNA.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    I'm still going with Mel Gibson.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    talos7 wrote: »
    I don't know if this has been asked, but how would Octopussy have been with Sean? With the script tweaked a bit to suit him I can see it working.
    Gorilla Suit or Clown Suit? Seriously though, I think Connery could have made it work. I might want to recast Maud Adams though as I think she probably had better chemistry with Moore.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I love OP - even more than FYEO - but if I had to pick a replacement for Moore, James Brolin sounds (or rather, looks) good. It's hard to say how successful he would be against Connery, but at the end of the day, I think EoN made the right choice. Yes, by renewing Moore's contract, we did get AVTAK, but we got OP. I don't think anyone else at the time could've done it like Moore did, and it certainly humiliated McClory.

Have you even seen the clips with Brolin as Bond?

He was as bad as Sam Neill or Pierce Brosnan.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    No, I haven't, actually. I've only read about it. But if he's Brosnan tier, that's acceptable.
    Young Brolin looked like Christian Bale. He needed a better haircut; it was a bit too 80's "fluffy" :)
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    talos7 wrote: »
    Young Brolin looked like Christian Bale. He needed a better haircut; it was a bit too 80's "fluffy" :)

He did kind of didn't he? Glad Moore stayed for OP.

Bond should always be British I feel though.
    Absolutely.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited April 2016 Posts: 9,020
    Simon LeBon(d) :D