'Go ahead...make my day ' - Clint Eastwood as James Bond 007 in 1973

edited September 2011 in Bond Movies Posts: 19,339
As i'm sure most of us know,Clint was approached to play Bond in Live and Let Die .
He,like the gentleman he is,humbly turned it down,stating that he was very very flattered but felt he couldn't do the role justice and it should be played by an Englishman.

BUT......if he accepted,would he have been good ? He certainly would have had the box-office draw and he would have made LALD a more darker and serious affair,but could he have handled the accent etc :

http://www.allposters.com/IMAGES/EAW/BORS033B.jpg

http://www.wildsound.ca/images/clint_eastwood_beard.jpg

Discuss.........

Comments

• NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I'm among the 0.0005% of the world's population who really doesn't get why Clint is so popular. I always thought his co-stars had more charisma than him, his voice was thin and reedy, his looks were Hollywood bland. As a director he has made some impressive films, but rarely do I think much of him as either a star or an actor.

Anyways, his Bond would probably have been disappointing. He looked good in '73 but I imagine he would have struggled with the accent.

Again, an American was offered the role (Burt Reynolds, John Gavin) and it never comes to fruition. One day it will happen and we can see for ourselves if an American really could pull it off. ;-)
  • edited September 2011 Posts: 19,339
    You don't like Clint, Nackers ? That's ordering on blasphemy !
    You don't like Clint, Nackers ? That's ordering on blasphemy !
    I know, I don't shout it about in polite company. I usually like big star actors with limited range eg John Wayne, but I remember watching TG, TB & TU and thinking how much more interesting Lee Van Cleef and Eli Wallach were. Then Kelly's Heroes was on TV and I was looking at Telly Savalas all the time. And over and over it kept happening.

Then I saw a film (title escapes me) where Clint is an ageing FBI or CIA agent protecting the President or something. In one scene he sits on some steps and as the girl walks away he wants her look back at him, to show him she is interested. When she does look back he breaks in to a broad grin, and my God, Clint was transformed. He was brilliant, and I thought why doesn't he smile more often? It suites him.

That was the only time I enjoyed watching him though. :-D
    'In the Line of Fire' - a great film.
  • Bond in 1973? Nah... probably wouldn't have worked...

Batman in 1973? Epic perfection!!!! But unfortunately if a Batman movie was made back then, it would have likely been a campy Adam West style.... Oh well....
  • He would have made a great Wolverine and Judge Dredd. And in Cogan's Bluff he had a Bond look. but he was right, English, or Irish or Aussies or Scottish ummm. He could have done it easy.
    'In the Line of Fire' - a great film.
    That's the one :)>-
  • SexpionageSexpionage Suspended
    I agree with Clint, and he was probably right for not accepting, but considering how horrible roger moore's version was I would probably have to say I would take clint over roger moore, just for the fact that clint would have played a more serious and darker role.
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    AS much of a fan of Clint's work that I am, its good to know that a Bond film starring him, never happened.

Good point about taking Clint over Moore, Sexpionage.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Classic Clint. He didn't make a big deal out of the decision, he just nicely turned it down, and for good reason. He is, and always will be one of the greatest men this world has seen, and I only hope he outlives the legacy he's left us in cinema. That's about 1 billion years by my count. ;-)
  • I don't know... now that I look at some pics of him from the 70's, I suppose it's not the WORST thing that could have happened....

But yeah, the man was smart to turn it down in the long run I think

Thank god we got the golden years with Roger Moore. I do like mr. Eastwoods' work but he is nothing I ever imagened as 007. Roger Moore got Flemings blessing way back. I am not sure what he would have made of RM's version. But I do not doubt he would have been laughing all the way to the bank.
  • I wonder if we can convince 007Art to do a 'what if' poster for LALD for us...? ;)
  • edited October 2011 Posts: 820
    Well I just glad he played his own roles. Dirty Harry & his Cowboy movies & others he did quite enough. He now only Directing now. I know why turn it down because it should be played by a English actor, that what he said. He might had played a few spy roles. Don't forget he had Richard Kiel in one of Cowboy movies. He is friendly with couple of James Bond actors. He a good & popular Actor. So leave him out of this James Bond role business. X(
  • Jazz007Jazz007 Minnesota
    As a huge fan of Clint Eastwood, I will be the first to say that he does not fit the James Bond character - at all. He is a talented, underrated actor but one without any Bond credentials.

Plus, if Eastwood was committed to Bond in the 70s, we probably would not have gotten 'The Outlaw Josey Wales' which is one of the best westerns ever made....
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    As a huge fan of Clint Eastwood, I will be the first to say that he does not fit the James Bond character - at all. He is a talented, underrated actor but one without any Bond credentials.
    UNDERRATED?!!!!!!!!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! IF YOU ASK SOMEONE WHO CLINT EASTWOOD IS AND THEY'VE NEVER HEARD OF HIM, THEY ARE CLEARLY OUT OF TOUCH WITH REALITY AND ARE ROBOTS!!!!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I agree with Clint, and he was probably right for not accepting, but considering how horrible roger moore's version was I would probably have to say I would take clint over roger moore, just for the fact that clint would have played a more serious and darker role.
    What makes you think a darker role is what we needed in '73? The joker-Bond had proven himself slightly more successful than the darker Bond of OHMSS. It wasn't until after Spy and Moonraker that many fans started screaming for the comeback of the darker Bond. LALD, however, was a very popular Bond film at the time. It seemed the ingredients were all right for that day and age. Thus, in retrospect, I don't think we should change a single element about LALD even if we could go back in time and 'fix' our personal issues with the film. The 70s were a volatile era for Bond's survival. LALD, in that sense, was one of the more stable films in the series. It wasn't insanely successful, yet it was successful enough to assure the folks at EON that Bond was back on track with Moore in the lead part.

• Jazz007Jazz007 Minnesota
    UNDERRATED?!!!!!!!!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! IF YOU ASK SOMEONE WHO CLINT EASTWOOD IS AND THEY'VE NEVER HEARD OF HIM, THEY ARE CLEARLY OUT OF TOUCH WITH REALITY AND ARE ROBOTS!!!!
    "Underrated" is not synonymous with "unrecognized." Most in the world know Eastwood's name; however, I mean "underrated" as in: he does not get as much credit as he should as a great actor.

If you talk to film buffs, few give Eastwood high kudos for his ability to act. Many claim that Eastwood just plays himself; of course, I watch Unforgiven or Gran Torino and see a very subtle, nuanced performance that few actors could manage.
  • edited September 2011 Posts: 289
    Outlaw is the greatest western ever made....

I would love to form a portal...pull out the LALD dvd staring CE and see just how it came out....

but he should have done OHMSS instead of Laz.

• I would love to form a portal...pull out the LALD dvd staring CE and see just how it came out....
    LOL that reminds me! I had a weird dream the other night- I had gone back in time and changed something- and when I arrived back in the present I looked at my DVD shelf and DAF had Lazenby in it and I was like 'mission accomplished' and woke up. PSA: Don't have a mixed drink right before bed
    :O
    edited October 2011 Posts: 28,694

I would love to form a portal...pull out the LALD dvd staring CE and see just how it came out....
    LOL that reminds me! I had a weird dream the other night- I had gone back in time and changed something- and when I arrived back in the present I looked at my DVD shelf and DAF had Lazenby in it and I was like 'mission accomplished' and woke up. PSA: Don't have a mixed drink right before bed
    :O
    Didn't you have a strange dream a short bit ago that you consulted the community on @Master_Dahark? You did!:http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/1334/a-james-bond-dream-i-had.-playing-him-in-a-movie-and-then-losing-it-all#Item_13
  • lol what can I say-- I've always got Bond on the brain! L-)
    lol what can I say-- I've always got Bond on the brain! L-)
    Inception 2 could be going into your brain or even Babs or Michaels and planting the idea of having Craig as Bond forever! And having Connery in for a cameo!

• QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    I like Clint Eastwood but as Bond it wouldn't have worked and he knew it. I've always thought he would have made the perfect Wolverine in X-Men.
    "Where Eagles dare" the movie as written by Alistair McLean shows very clear why Clint Eastwood wouldn't have worked as 007. Next to Richard Burton he was fabolous but he just lacked that Britishness that is so essential for the character James Bond, I know he played an American ranger but he would never have played a believable Brit, and I guess he knew it. Burton had the qualities it in spades I think.
    "Where Eagles dare" the movie as written by Alistair McLean shows very clear why Clint Eastwood wouldn't have worked as 007. Next to Richard Burton he was fabolous but he just lacked that Britishness that is so essential for the character James Bond, I know he played an American ranger but he would never have played a believable Brit, and I guess he knew it. Burton had the qualities it in spades I think.
    Just like Connery playing a Spanish mercenary. It just doesn't work. His voice is his own, and no one sounds like him. He couldn't convincingly portray a Russian/French/Spanish/Mexican character, but he is still one of the best in cinema, as Clint is. There are just some roles both men shouldn't do.
    Who recalls "The Eiger Sanction" it's a 007 knockoff in the early seventies starring CE. Maybe it was Clint wondering if he might have pulled it off. He handles production of most of his movies. Malpaso Productions is his own production company and known for finishing on time and under budget. Probably the main reason he refused is he likes to be in control. Connery's main reason he left the role was the incredible scheduling overrun of YOLT.