"Never dream of dying?" - James Bond and sleep induction

edited March 2016 in General Discussion Posts: 157
Last night, I was watching "Tomorrow Never Dies", when i noticed that I couldn't resist
the idea of going to sleep after Bond and Wai Lin reached Ha Long Bay.
The same occurs to me every time I watch "Spectre". As long as they are in Morocco and London (especially, London),
I'm completely somewhere else, already dreaming, maybe snoring.
What about you? After all these years, are there some Bond films that are like lullabies to you?
(English is not my first language. Correct me, please, so I'll try to improve).

Comments

• TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Interesting post.

For a while, I used to treat a bout of late-night insomnia with YOLT. I'd usually fall asleep somewhere near the mini-copter being built. This is not to say YOLT is boring stuff; rather, it goes to show how something becomes comforting, so much so that it helps. This was the case for me with YOLT for a long time.

More recently, it's been FRWL or AVTAK that do the trick.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited January 2017 Posts: 23,527
    I can't answer this question.
    I can, however, talk about the opposite. QoS is the film least likely to put me to sleep. One of its redeeming qualities is that it keeps me very much awake even during the late hours.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    TB - After Fiona dies until the final battle. Soporific.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited March 2016 Posts: 17,785
    And here I thought (hoped?) this was going to be a thread about Raymond Benson Continuation Bonds... :(

But no, Bond films don't put me to sleep; rather they hold me in rapt attention!
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    And here I thought (hoped?) this was going to be a thread about Raymond Benson Continuation Bonds... :(

Same here but then I saw it wasn't started by you so I decided it probably wasn't!
    edited March 2016 Posts: 17,785

Same here but then I saw it wasn't started by you so I decided it probably wasn't!

Yes I am the Master of the Rolls here when it comes to the Continuation Bond! Lord Dragonpol MR if you will.
    edited January 2017 Posts: 17,785
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I can't answer this question.
    I can, however, talk about the opposite. QoS is the film least likely to put me to sleep. One of its redeeming qualities is that it keeps me very much awake even during the late hours.

Yes, your eyes really do a workout with QoS*! :))

*I love it by the way. Top 5 Bond film for me.
    I have headaches with QoS! :D
    edited January 2017 Posts: 17,785
    Rossi wrote: »
    I have headaches with QoS! :D

Yes, it's like the Ludovico technique at times. You just can't pull your eyes away!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ludovico_technique
    As much as I try to enjoy AVTAK on each viewing, I always seem to lose interest during the city hall fire and the firetruck chase (which goes on for so long in my opinion) that by the time we get to the mines and the Golden Gate Bridge, I've almost completely checked out.
  • edited January 2017 Posts: 157

Yes, it's like the Ludovico technique at times. You just can't pull your eyes away!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ludovico_technique

Actually, the effect is just the opposite with me. I have to look to the other side, because my eyes can't stand what I see. It's painful to watch, but in the literal meaning! I do like both story and cinematography in that film, but I'm not able to enjoy the scenes in which they used that shaky cam technique :)
    And no instrument of torture obliges me to continue watching the film after the pain starts! :D
    But, thinking a little more, for me, the film is a torture in itself! :D
    TR007 wrote: »
    As much as I try to enjoy AVTAK on each viewing, I always seem to lose interest during the city hall fire and the firetruck chase (which goes on for so long in my opinion) that by the time we get to the mines and the Golden Gate Bridge, I've almost completely checked out.

That scream from Tanya Roberts tends to keep me awake! :D
    If I need to sleep I just put on TLD and im gone....its great on business trips abroad when you are jet lagged.

Kara 'brain dead' Milovy appears and you simply sleep.

I'm thinking of going on 'Dragons Den ' with it and marketing it as a safe way to induce immediate sleep.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I have some embarrassing things to say about the films...

-I used to think Kara Milovy is a sweet innocent girl to be loved, and sexy too. Now I got brainwashed by one of the good guys and finally can see the truth. That bloody Kara "Brain Dead" Milovy shall tumble down the big wheel in Vienna to a splatter on the pavement!

-I used to think the Russian spy woman in AVTAK, Pola Ivanova that Bond recognises and is greeting so happily is none other than FRWL's Tatiana Romanova!!! That he met her after many years again.
    I am ashamed I only learned years later it's not her!

-I used to think NSNA is an official Bond film, I even didn't think in terms of "official" or "unofficial". When I learned it is not I was quite shocked!

-I used to think there is more than one Lazenby Bond until I discovered to my dismay there wasn't!

Hahaha are u in the right thread Jason,me old mate,i think that should be posted in the 'confessions of a Bond nerd' thread not the sleeping one !!
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    OMG I'm sorry!

yeah, I'm not myself and should not post at all, but could not resist your fabulous new thread WHERE I AM NOT IN RIGHT NOW BLOODY HELL

I'll move it there...like...NOW
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Rossi wrote:
    Last night, I was watching "Tomorrow Never Dies", when i noticed that I couldn't resist
    The same occurs to me every time I watch "Spectre". As long as they are in Morocco and London (especially, London),
    What about you? After all these years, are there some Bond films that are like lullabies to you?
    I don't know about going to sleep, but I certainly find the latter half of both TND & SP quite boring. I can let it play in the background without focusing on it.

In terms of really sleep inducing, and at the risk of committing blasphemy, GF from Bond's arrival in Kentucky up to the Odd Job fight takes the cake.

Most of TWINE does the same.
    I agree. It's a very difficult film for me to get through from the City Hall scene onwards.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    YOLT is so far the only Bond movie I've remotely started to doze off to. I like things about it but it just slogs on for the most part.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Rossi wrote:
    I don't know about going to sleep, but I certainly find the latter half of both TND & SP quite boring. I can let it play in the background without focusing on it.

In terms of really sleep inducing, and at the risk of committing blasphemy, GF from Bond's arrival in Kentucky up to the Odd Job fight takes the cake.

Most of TWINE does the same.
    I agree. It's a very difficult film for me to get through from the City Hall scene onwards.

Now that i agree with,the only exception is the chat between Bond and GF while having the mint tuleps....apart from that the rest of the film tbf is sleep inducing..even Bond vs Oddjob was a let down to me.

Murdock wrote: »
    YOLT is so far the only Bond movie I've remotely started to doze off to. I like things about it but it just slogs on for the most part.

I find the Japanese marriage ceremony hard to sit through now, beautiful as it is. I used to not feel that way about it, but now I do...
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Murdock wrote: »

I find the Japanese marriage ceremony hard to sit through now, beautiful as it is. I used to not feel that way about it, but now I do...

It's the Ninja Training stuff that bores me, that and the long climb up the volcano. Bond going Japanese should have been removed from the film altogether. More time should have been given to Blofeld as he's wasted in the film.