Reviews of THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS

13»

Comments

My review of TOMORROW NEVER DIES:

Overall: 2.5 / 5
    Snooze: 2/5
    Bond: 3/5

The Good: That PTS is so good. Nothing silly, like chasing after flying planes. Even set up to introduce a new Bond, which is interesting. One of my top PTS of recent memory. Not the top though. The earlier parts of the movie are good, very Bondian (or a 90's edition). But it goes bad pretty quick. The remote control car is realistic enough for me to enjoy.

So, The Bad: The last 2/3 of the film. The bad guy gets confusing on what hes trying to do, there is somehow a stealth ship. An invincible car that gets destroyed?! That coincidental BMW cable cutter which is very convenient. In fact all of the gadgets are a bit too convenient, and only used once in most cases. Q has become a psychic. An un-hot asian chick that honestly serves almost no point, and very silly teamwork setups. An over the top ship grinder, how many ships is ol' Elliot planning on sinking? And erm.. helicopters don't fly like that. So much to pick apart and the storyline gets soooo weak its a hard one to watch seriously. Its more of a background movie to me.

Overall, I get hyped at the start, but am usually tired and unmoved by the end. A great Schwarzenegger ending though, if that's a good thing?

We're reviewing YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE starting tomorrow, Wednesday the 5th. You guys are awesome :)
    And erm.. helicopters don't fly like that.
    Hey, if cars explode after going over cliffs like in Dr. No and Goldfinger then Helicopters can fly like that in the James Bond universe, dammit! Haha but seriously I was always dumbfounded to see the filmmakers just blatantly throw the laws of physics out the window like that.
    And erm.. helicopters don't fly like that.
    Hey, if cars explode after going over cliffs like in Dr. No and Goldfinger then Helicopters can fly like that in the James Bond universe, dammit! Haha but seriously I was always dumbfounded to see the filmmakers just blatantly throw the laws of physics out the window like that.
    Oh well, it's the World of Bond! Anything can happen!

I think its hilarious when the helicopter crashed into the building, they took the effort to put the dummies in to look good for the close up. Whats funny is they're dummies, wouldn't a human actually react in some way to flying into a building? Like the guys in the back are just cruisin'
  • edited October 2011 Posts: 1,310

I think its hilarious when the helicopter crashed into the building, they took the effort to put the dummies in to look good for the close up. Whats funny is they're dummies, wouldn't a human actually react in some way to flying into a building? Like the guys in the back are just cruisin'
    Yes, the helicopter crew all seem to be at peace during their final moment before slamming into the building. They obviously have come to terms with their impending deaths (just as their nameless henchmen forefathers did in the previous films).
  • edited October 2011 Posts: 5,745
    Alright, now that all the news has calmed down a bit, lets get these reviews going agian. Here is mine:

YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE

Overall: 4.7/5
    Snooze: 3/5
    Bond: 5/5

The Good. THE SET PIECES. Oh my word, the sets in this film are unmatched by any other film in history. The iconic volcano facility, the HUGE Japanese mansion during the ninja training sequence, and the room where Bond undergoes the operation are all brilliant examples of someone's awesome imagination.
    THE SOUNDTRACK has got to be one of the best I've heard in a film. The way the main title theme is stretched to be romantic in some scenes, and tense and suspenseful in others is true art. The tune during Bond's wedding is absolutely gorgeous, and every tune matches its scene perfectly.
    The story line of Blofeld's space ship - capturing attempts to start a world war nearly matches the creativeness and greatness of the original YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE book plot. The special effects are very impressive for their time, most notable with the rocket ship re-entering the atmosphere and during the helicopter action scene.Connery is at his perfect Bond for the most part, the lines are well placed, and he is very believable during the fight sequences. There is so much good to this film its hard to see Brozzer's attempts as part of the same franchise.

The Bad. Everyone complains about the editing of the film. To me it doesn't detract you from the storyline, and thus isn't a major flaw, just nitpicking. When the film gets to the ninja training sequence, the whole movie completely changes tone. The first half you have Connery snooping and being a British spy and the the zoom out and the screaming ninjas is really quite the shock. Leaves the viewer almost in disbelief as to where the movie has just turned to. All in all I really enjoyed the film, and probably overlooked anything minor that I would have found upsetting.

Wrap It Up. This is one of my favorites. This is truly the first time I've watched the whole film with the complete intent of watching it. Mostly I've seen it in parts and at different times, but all together its truly beautiful. I LOVE how Blofeld isn't even mentioned until nearly halfway in the film, when Number 11 is referred to as, well, Number 11. That is the only obvious hint dropped as to Blofeld's presence. I love the big invasion at the end of this film. It and the volcano set are two of the most iconic Bond artifacts (? couldn't think of a good word), and with rumors of the big scene at the end returning in 23, one can only hope.

As you can tell, I NOW LOVE THIS MOVIE.

Now get reviewing!
    You Only LIve Twice

Overall 3
    Snooze 3
    Actor 2

Good: Beautiful Japanese photography ,cinematography and of course Aiki
    Bad : The outlandish plot. Weak Blofeld.
    Open : I misssed this film when it first ran and had to wait 7 years to finally catch it. At first I was blown awaay by alll the pyrotechnics, action, fights at Kobe. After I saw it three years later I was not impressed.
    I thought Pleasance made a very bad Blofeld. His performance of Bond's greatest advesary was weak and uninspired. He looked tired and just really corny. By this time there were so many imitation Bonds in the marketplace that YOLT begins to look like they are imitating the imitators. !
    Connery's performance was just awful. He looked overweight, tired and very bored (especially in the volcano lair sequences) It is clear that he did not want to be there.
    The climatic fight between the Spectre operatives and Tanaka's Ninjas was good and exciting. I really liked the guy with the Sword...
    Some of the scenes just made no sense: Little Nellie, the Drop in the Ocean. These scenes were there just to get hoops and cheers from the audience who demanded these wild set pieces. The fight between Bond and the "driver" was fun and the fight with Hans was exciting.
    That being said, the movie is fun and just a bunch of pure escapeism. (SP) Don't over think it and expect it to stand up against its four predessors and the film that followed it.
    Don't over think it and expect it to stand up against its four predessors and the film that followed it.
    Compared to what was left to come, with Lazenby (respectfully), Moore (Semi-respectfully), Dalton (Uber respect), Brosnan (yea no respect), and Craig (Uber respect), YOLT still beats them all out. It manages to have the fantasy story line without becoming completely ridiculous, and its campy-ness is fun, but not overbearing. To me its the perfect balance of a Bond movie, not too serious, not too ridiculous, and not too silly. But a little of each to be unique and exciting.

I base my bias off of the imprint this movie has made on modern film, even though most of it is parody.

• edited October 2011 Posts: 5,745
    Anybody care to add a review or make a suggestion?
  • We've probably done The Spy Who Loved Me at some stage but I'd be content to have some constructive criticism and accolades put forward of this particular Bond adventure

All I can add is that Kiel should not have returned for Moonraker, i.e. he falls in love and becomes a 'Good Jaws', meh
    :L

Moore's best and favorite 007 caper was Spy so he claims, you can see why, lots of exotic and fun locations, Barbara Bach, we see Bond again in the uniform of a naval commander, lots to get involved in, even though Jurgens was a rather banal and lightweight nemesis, he was essentially a sea based clone of Michael Lonsdale's Drax two years later with ideas of global devastation and a new race or population
    Anybody care to add a review or make a suggestion?
    We've probably done The Spy Who Loved Me at some stage but I'd be content to have some constructive criticism.
    Probably should have clarified. Reviews on YOLT, or suggestions of moving on with the template we have :}
  • edited November 2011 Posts: 5,745
    Ive opened up the discussion again. I saw a fellow member was looking for a place to review Moonraker, so why not here?

The outline on the first page is just a suggestion, feel free to post how you wish. Just please stay on whatever movie we're currently reviewing.

And leave suggestions!!
    Ive opened up the discussion again. I saw a fellow member was looking for a place to review Moonraker, so why not here?

The outline on the first page is just a suggestion, feel free to post how you wish. Just please stay on whatever movie we're currently reviewing.

And leave suggestions!!
    Okay lets do MOONRAKER

I hated this movie. I thought the opening sequence (skydiving) was very very good. It is the high point of the movie. after this the movie goes downhill real fast.
    Lets take it
    the Good: Opening sequence. villian Chang fight with Bond, Bond trapped in that subterrage whatever the hell that contraption was. This scene is the only one in Moore's stint that he actually looked scared and out of his element.
    Bad: Jaws, Jaws romance, the space battle with all the lasers, the gadgets
    Ugly: Jaws, ditto, the outlandish plot, the slapstick.

I love Moonraker, because it features many of the key elements I like about Bondmovies: great sets (Ken Adam outdid himself here IMO), a great score and titlesong, exotic locations, great actionsequences, a fantastic (wellwritten) villain and memorable one-liners. Besides Moore was in his prime here. The look on his face and his reaction when coming out of the simulator? Great acting.

I could do without the spacebattle and the double-taking pigeon though.
    I have always been on the negative side when it comes to Moonraker. Yeah, there were some classic elements and great sets with great action, but something in the middle always messes me up. Of course, Jaws and Dolly ruines the entire film, but even if looking past that, there are still several things that could have been fixed or avoided. To name a few: the cheesy dialogue, Lois Chiles as Holly, Jaws turning good at the end, and the overall silliness picked up during the middle. It's weird too, because in the beginning it was almost dark, what with the centrifuge, Bond eliminating the tree sniper, and Corrine's death. Overall, like many fans have said, it starts out superb, then loses it somewhere along the way.
    the cheesy dialogue.
    You can probably spot som cheesy lines, but there were so many brilliant as well, especially from Drax. For example:

"Mr. Bond, you persist in defying my efforts to provide an amusing death for you."

"Look after Mr. Bond. See that some harm comes to him."

"James Bond. You appear with the tedious inevitability of an unloved season."

"Have you broken something?".... "No. Only my tailor's heart."

"My name is Bond. James Bond. I'm looking for Dr Goodhead."
    -"You just found her."
    -"A woman!"
    -"Your powers of observation do you credit, Mr Bond."
    I think MOONRAKER is underrated for two reasons:

1) First of all, it's not an adaptation of the book. The film was really created to cash in on the popularity of STAR WARS, which is how we ended up with the space sequences.

2) It's really a retread of THE SPY WHO LOVED ME. However, I find MOONRAKER to be a superior film, if only because it actually gives the villain a home base. Despite his plans for an underwater city, we never saw anything beyond Karl Stromberg's design except a scale model (indeed, on my first viewing, I thought Stromberg intended for everyone to live on Atlantis).
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Moonraker :

Overrall Rating : 5/5
    Snooze : 5/5 (flat out fun, entertaining adventure)
    Bond rating : 5/5 (Moore's best performance)

The good : Everything... Especially the music, Moore's performance, the sets, the locations...
    The bad : Nothing.

Additional comments : 2nd best Bond film in the franchise !!
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    Zekidk wrote:
    <blockquote rel="00Beast"> the cheesy dialogue.</blockquote>

You can probably spot som cheesy lines, but there were so many brilliant as well, especially from Drax. For example:

"Mr. Bond, you persist in defying my efforts to provide an amusing death for you."

<b>"Look after Mr. Bond. See that some harm comes to him."</b>

"James Bond. You appear with the tedious inevitability of an unloved season."

"Have you broken something?".... "No. Only my tailor's heart."

"My name is Bond. James Bond. I'm looking for Dr Goodhead."
    -"You just found her."
    -"A woman!"
    -"Your powers of observation do you credit, Mr Bond."
    I think MOONRAKER is underrated for two reasons:

1) First of all, it's not an adaptation of the book. The film was really created to cash in on the popularity of STAR WARS, which is how we ended up with the space sequences.

2) It's really a retread of THE SPY WHO LOVED ME.<b> However, I find MOONRAKER to be a superior film, if only because it actually gives the villain a home base.</b> Despite his plans for an underwater city, we never saw anything beyond Karl Stromberg's design except a scale model (indeed, on my first viewing, I thought Stromberg intended for everyone to live on <i>Atlantis</i>).
    Moonraker :

Overrall Rating : 5/5
    Snooze : 5/5 <b>(flat out fun, entertaining adventure)</b>
    Bond rating : 5/5 <b>(Moore's best performance)</b>

The good : <b>Everything... Especially the music, Moore's performance, the sets, the locations...</b>
    The bad : Nothing.

Additional comments : 2nd best Bond film in the franchise !!

I like the way you 3 think! :)

If films such as FRWL, TB, OHMSS and TLD exemplify "Fleming Bond" on screen, then MR would be my pick for the one that best exemplifies "Movie Bond". A hard-edged thriller it's not but for a fun, 2 hour ride of escapism MR fits the bill.
    It's actually a pretty good film until Bond decides to go into space and starts up the shuttle like it's a motorcycle.
  • moonraker to me is a fun bond film. It would be one of my top favourites if it didn't ruin jaws' character
  • Whereas in You Only Live Twice or License To Kill for instance, Bond is restricted to one or two specific places and we don't get to see much in terms of location, here Moore gets into 'ubiquitous mode' and pops up it seems all over the place, even launching off into outer space in perhaps the most inplausible and ridiculous bit ever brought to the screen of a James Bond movie. It's safe to say that if Star Wars had never happened two years earlier and without the space craze of the time this episode may never have occured.

For everything else it's one of Moore's better entries, but always concur that the re-appearance of Kiel was totally unnecessary
  • but always concur that the re-appearance of Kiel was totally unnecessary

I would've loved to have jaws back if they didn't wreck the character
  • could have been so much better if they did not include the space part which was so unrealistic and head towards Science Fiction. I wish they struck faithful to the novel because it is a great novel and they just destroyed it in the movie. Fleming would be angry at this.
    Now is the time to post YOUR review of The Living Daylights!
    We haven't done a Timothy film yet, so here ya go.

I'll post my review later, but I'll go ahead and tell you overall 3/5
  • edited October 2013 Posts: 12,837
    the living daylights: just the title is enough to remind me how great this was really. 5/5. brilliant, the 2nd best in the franchise. i think Dalton is truly the greatest 007. This film will always be special to me because when i saw it, it was A: my first bond film, and B: my first trip to the cinema

i'll go into detail later.