Sean Connery will never star in a film again, says Michael Caine

JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
edited September 2011 in News Posts: 1,380
Sir Sean Connery, who turned 81 last month, will never return to the big screen, according to his friend, Sir Michael Caine, reports the <a href="http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/8723343/Sean-Connery-will-never-star-in-a-film-again-says-Michael-Caine.html"; target="_blank">Telegraph</a>.

“I phoned him the other day, but we never see each other because he doesn’t move around a lot now,” Caine says. “He won’t make another film now. I just asked him. He said, 'No, I’ll never do it.’ ”

Connery’s final film was The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen in 2003. Last year, Caine said: “The movie business retired him because he didn’t want to play small parts about old men and they weren’t offering him any young parts in romantic leads.”

Comments

That's fair enough.
    Connery has made enough films and wants to put his feet up and play golf, good luck to him.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Still having some good humour there: “The movie business retired him because he didn’t want to play small parts about old men and they weren’t offering him any young parts in romantic leads.”
    Fantastic!

Anyway, Connery has been saying this for years, so it's hardly news.

He said he would come out of retirement for Indy he was offered a Cameo in the chapel in IV he didn't take it. So yeaah
  • never say never again
    never say never again
    Shouldn't it be 'Never say Never again again ' ?

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    He said he would come out of retirement for Indy he was offered a Cameo in the chapel in IV he didn't take it. So yeaah
    Henry Sr. was dead in the time of Indy 4. It wouldn't have been even a good use of him. Sir Sean is way too good for a stupid cameo in an already horrible film.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited September 2011 Posts: 15,690
    Henry Sr. was dead in the time of Indy 4. It wouldn't have been even a good use of him. Sir Sean is way too good for a stupid cameo in an already horrible film.
    I wonder how much money Connery asked for the close-up of his picture on Ford's desk.

• i'd bet he jump up from his Saga sofa to star in a golfing film. I thought the Tin Cup script would have been ideal for him now. Why not remake it and rewritten for sc
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited September 2011 Posts: 13,350
    It was to be expected. Connery's done enough and deserves a long break. I hope he's having a very happy retirement and continues to long into the future.
  • edited September 2011 Posts: 152
    I just wish the original James Bond could somehow do a cameo in Bond 23 to wrap up his career where he started it. Hopefully he at least attends some of the Bond 23 events, but that looks to be unlikely.
  • He really was the gold standard for BOND. It would be great to see him in more but he has already given us the best in an illustrious career . NO obituary but thanks for everything Sir Sean.
    Maybe the McClory estate can lure into a deal to do Warhead. A little make-up and a toupee can go a long way.
    He is incredibly frail now and probably even struggles with golf. Let him live out his time left in the sunshine in The Bahamas.

Rather sweet of Mr Caine to keep in touch though....
  • He is incredibly frail now and probably even struggles with golf. Let him live out his time left in the sunshine in The Bahamas.

Rather sweet of Mr Caine to keep in touch though....
    I was going to mention that - I saw an interview with him that looked like it was very recent and I was amazed at how much he had aged in the last little while. Not sure if he was unwell or it was just old age catching up but the difference was remarkable. To see Connery, who was such a "force of nature" in films, to suddenly be "an old man" was heartbreaking. No one beats the clock...

I hope we don't hear bad news about his health in the next little while.

• I'd love to see how he looks today- anyone have a pic?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Here @Master_Dahark. "Frail" isn'y how I'd describe him. Face it everyone, even the legend that is Sean Connery still ages just like us all.

• Hell he looks GREAT. I think it's only a shock because he's looked exactly the same for 20+ years, lol

Thanks for the photo- by everyone's comments I was expecting much much worse
    I remember reading an article earlier this year about his life in the Bahamas and how he's in a great health, eats healthy French-prepared meals courtesy of his wife, gets up early every morning and golfs for like 8 hours a day. Sounds like he's doing pretty well
  • edited September 2011 Posts: 205
    He looks good. Aged quite nicely..which is weird if you consider how he looked back in DAF as opposed to Moore in LALD who was actually older. Funny how things work out..as for him not acting, he stated this in 2003 pretty much. Tho I think he'd still be up for doing voices.
  • JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
    I remember reading an article earlier this year about his life in the Bahamas and how he's in a great health, eats healthy French-prepared meals courtesy of his wife, gets up early every morning and golfs for like 8 hours a day. Sounds like he's doing pretty well
    Sadly, that's not so much the case. Mr Connery hasn't been too well lately. Doubtful he willnplay any part of Bond 50th events in the UK for those reasons alone, regardless of politics or emotions being involved.

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Hopefully he at least attends some of the Bond 23 events, but that looks to be unlikely.
    Connery recently retired from public appearances, so yes there's no chance of that.

Thanks for the little extra news @JamesPage. I wish Sir Sean well and all the best. He'll be back on top form soon enough as I'm sure he'll take good care of himself.
  • Sorry to hear Sean has been under the weather of late, but he'll back to his usual self, you can't keep James Bond down.

It would of been nice though to see the (former) actor involved in the 50th anniversary extravaganza next year in some capacity, there's still time for things to change, you never know what will happen.

not every movie he appeared in was an oscar winner but there's been some solid adventures down the years away from Bond.

• QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    edited September 2011 Posts: 1,812
    I just wish the original James Bond could somehow do a cameo in Bond 23 to wrap up his career where he started it.

I agree! I always thought it would be really cool if all the Bonds got together for a cameo in the new Bond flick. Maybe while Bond is running from or chasing a bad guy, he runs past a table with a group old men playing poker, and they all turn to face the action showing their faces and they're all the previous Bonds, then they share a quick laugh together.
    Too bad this will never happen. =(

• WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    Sean I am always looking for a game. Good for him, I hope his retirement is great.

I am glad that Michael Caine had to inform the public about this issue.
  • edited September 2011 Posts: 4,813
    Where did anyone say he wasn't doing well? I bet he's having a blast chill-axing all day!
    I picture him reading this thread (yeah right lol) with a cup of coffee and his comfy pajamas saying 'Dumbashes. Hmmm..... I wonder what I'll do today...? I know! Whatever the hell I want! Haw Haw!!'
    lol that's how I like to picture him today, anyway :p

It would of been nice though to see the (former) actor involved in the 50th anniversary extravaganza next year in some capacity, there's still time for things to change, you never know what will happen.

Notice Caine said Star not cameo, He probably could handle a 1 hour shoot or less.

Sean could secretly be one of us....right here at MI6! Shurley you shuddun't shushpect anyone here...shurley not.....It'd be completely inshhhane...