'That'll keep you in curry for a few weeks wont it ' - when 007 is not 'PC'

2»

Comments

"I'm Plenty!"
    "But of course you are."
    Diamonds Are Forever

"Named after your father, perhaps?"

I really hate when Draco hits Tracy in the face.
    Draco: be thankfull that Santino Corleone didn't come after you!!
  • edited November 2011 Posts: 940
    The way Bond (TSWLM) treats Agent XXX in the van, suggesting she can't even drive could also be thrown in the pc hat! I hate that scene, not because of the pc thing, I just feel Bond comes off as really irritating during a genuienly tense situation with Jaws.
  • ltwftw wrote:
    "Fetch my shoes!"

This is one of the reasons I feel that Dr. No is such a weak movie. The dialogue in places is terrible, like that line. Another un-pc and terrible line in that movie is "with all that rum in you, you just have to breathe on him". ugh.
    As for PC, practically the whole of Live and Let Die would not make it today. Some of my favorites:

"For 20 bucks, I'll take you to a Ku Klux Klan cookout."
    "You got a honky on your tail".
    "I reckon this ain't exactly your debut at this sort of thing, is it boy?"
  • edited December 2016 Posts: 19,339
    Seeing the comments about racism in the earlier Bond films in the 'Controversy Thread',I thought I would follow on back in here and agree with @Birdleson ..Flemings novels and the way life was at the time would obviously appear in the films in parts.

It was a white man's world and it shows when Bond deals with women or other races.
    But that is the way it was,its part of history,and to me,gives the early films a healthy part of their charm.
    Fleming was of a similar generation to my grandfather (who was born in 1921).

This was a time when it was a rareity to see a non-white person on the street and women were (generally) in less powerful positions professionally.

We tend to forget that today.
    exactly ,and this went on for many centuries,right through the Connery,Lazenby and even some Moore Bond films..you can see it in places...but its history,interesting to see.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    The thread has a tendency to use hindsight. Non of the un-pc aspects of Bond's behaviour were even remotely un-pc when the films came out.

apart from maybe the Octopussy line which is adhered to in the thread title. I remember flinching a little when that film came out.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I'm sure many of the things we think of as OK now. In a few years will
    Also be considered very unPC ;)
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator

The way Bond stares at Madelaine when she enters the dining car. Within 5 years that will be considered sexual harassment.

Only by a bunch of lesbians of course, but such is the way of the world.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I watched OP just recently, and I didn't find the line offensive. How do we know that it is even taken as offensive. If someone had given me a stack of money of doing flip all, and said "There, that'll keep you in fish 'n chips for a weeks", not only would I not take offense, but I would be too busy counting up the money.
    I watched OP just recently, and I didn't find the line offensive. How do we know that it is even taken as offensive. If someone had given me a stack of money of doing flip all, and said "There, that'll keep you in fish 'n chips for a weeks", not only would I not take offense, but I would be too busy counting up the money.

Also, Bond and Vijay had immediately developed a rapport between each other and Bond is making quip. He's just being a smart ass. In other words, my friends and I flip each other s**t all the time and no one takes offence.

I couldn't agree more. In ten years we may be at the point where even shirtless scenes in film are too un-PC. Bond fans could be criticized for liking CR even though the Dan-Man appears shirtless in many scenes.
    The current era is almost always looked at as being the most advanced. It was the same in the '90's. I do feel, though in some ways things have gone backwards in the sense that open dialogue on sensitive topics now is like walking on eggshells.
    I've actually known people in recent years who would have been more than thrilled if I'd cave in and vow to stop watching 007 movies altogether, just because they either heard the "fetch my shoes" line, or saw some cleavage in the Binder titles and were offended.
    When challenged to give up a passion for Bond just for the sake of someone else's political agenda, as Spock would say : "If I were human, I believe my response would be GO TO HELL...... if I were human."
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    "Politically correct" is a Soviet term.

How any such thing can apply to Bond is beyond me. Or anyone else, for that matter.