The Football Thread

Comments

• Oh no, here comes the football/soccer debate again. Look, you barely even use your feet in American football so even the name's a misnomer :P
  • LudsLuds MIA
    Quoting anotherbondgeek: Oh no, here comes the football/soccer debate again. Look, you barely even use your feet in American football so even the name's a misnomer
    You're right, they're all running on their hands... ;)
    Good luck to the super swans in the play offs (fingers crossed)
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Today, the classic in Belgian football: Anderlecht-Club Bruges.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Quoting Luds: You're right, they're all running on their hands
    Better than scoring goals with their hands like the France team does !!
    Quoting anotherbondgeek: Oh no, here comes the football/soccer debate again. Look, you barely even use your feet in American football so even the name's a misnomer :P
    I think the suitable word is American Rugby :-D than American Football.
    We're up to 5th in the PL - could we land 4th - a miracle might happen.
    fair play forgotmyusername have a soft spot for LFC and especially when Jan the man played
    This evening is the FA Cup final. I'll be supporting the Citizens with my countrymen Kompany and Boyata.
  • Go Stoke! Or City. I don't really mind who wins it - both deserve it- so I can now watch the game without any of the finger-shredding squeaky-bum-time tension that accompanies any United or England game :P
  • edited May 2011 Posts: 7,653
    Sunday the 15th we get the finale and last playround of the Dutch league, the nr. 1 vs nr. 2 and both can be champion if they win the match. If number 3 wins its match the loser of the championshipmatch can lose its place in the championsleague.

Now there is excitement if you are interested. Bothe teams played eachother last sunday for the leaguecup as well and FC Twente did win. My hope is that Ajax Amsterdam does win tomorrow. %%-
  • Bye bye West Ham...ridiculous tactics from Grant there. To go from being one penalty away from being Champion's League winners - John Terry, wahey! - to getting West Ham relegated in three years is just poor.
    AJAX Amsterdam took the title today, I was at work and everybody there was in favor of the different team. I didn't cheer too loud but was very pleased.
    and there is video of stekelenburg dropping the title same like sergio ramos did
    and there is video of stekelenburg dropping the title same like sergio ramos did
    You mean dropping the trophy? :)>-
    what is this new way of quoting? yes i mean he trophy :)
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    Bye bye West Ham...ridiculous tactics from Grant there. To go from being one penalty away from being Champion's League winners - John Terry, wahey! - to getting West Ham relegated in three years is just poor.
    I think it's only fair to point out that he took Chelsea to the Champions League final three years ago and not West Ham. ;)

Anyhoo, the Cup final wasn't a terrible match yesterday, admittedly, but the Blackpool-Bolton clash (which, of course, nicely finished 4-3 just like the famous '53 Cup Final between the two) was an absolute stonker. End-to-end stuff, even if the defending was non-existent, and seven goals; three of which were terrific... :)

• NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    At half time I flicked over to the rugby where Leicester Tigers were playing Northampton. There was an incident where a Tigers player literally thumped a Northampton player in the head three times off the ball. The ref referred to the linesman who said punches were exchanged. The ref called over both players and they were both yellow carded and sin binned.
    It was a gross injustice as the Tigers player should have been red carded and the Northampton player was simply defending himself.

The reason I mention this is because, despite the injustice, not one player spoke to the ref, not one manager stormed on or caused a scene, neither of the players argued, both walked to the ref when beckoned, both walked off when yellow carded. The said not a word. The game carried on.
    Earlier, in football, a dodgy penalty call at Blackburn had the Man U players surrounding the linesman, screaming in his face. When the penalty was awarded the same thing happened with the Blackburn players. Disgarceful and deeply embarrassing.
  • Or maybe football and rugby are different sports? While Tuilagi's assault on Ashton was horrific - he deserves a length ban for it - football is a game of skill and finesse rather than testosterone, protein shakes and steroids.
    They're completely different games: rugby is about showing your strength, football is about showing your skill. To compare the Tuilagi incident to the United one is like saying that, erm, I can't think of a good analogy.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Or maybe football and rugby are different sports? While Tuilagi's assault on Ashton was horrific - he deserves a length ban for it - football is a game of skill and finesse rather than testosterone, protein shakes and steroids.
    They're completely different games: rugby is about showing your strength, football is about showing your skill. To compare the Tuilagi incident to the United one is like saying that, erm, I can't think of a good analogy.
    :-)) Thats ok, no analogy needed - I understood your point. And you may be right. But I still think that football has bred it's own attitudes and the treatment of match officials is wrong whichever way we dress it up.
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    Yes, one has to be careful comparing football and rugby in terms of attitude and on-the-pitch behaviour, because they are different sports, despite sharing many obvious similarities.

However, it's fair to point out that rugby is a sport that's deliberately and importantly played with a strong emphasis on discipline (the 'cruel' knock-on rule, for instance), surely because without good discipline - and strong respect towards the referee - it could immediately become pretty dangerous. Seriously major rugby injuries are not as common as one might imagine and that's probably why. Must say, I've never been a huge fan of rugby, but I've always admired it in this respect.
    But I still think that football has bred it's own attitudes and the treatment of match officials is wrong whichever way we dress it up.
    Yup, couldn't agree more with you there, Nackers - football only has itself to blame for cultivating a culture where respect for the opposition, the referee and, too often, the rules is laissez-faire. One of the major reasons may be the money involved at the top - the quest for glory is overwhelming and the price of defeat (from the top league in England, for example) is ridiculous for a club's finances. Sadly, no doubt the lack of respect throughout the game - at least in this country - can be mostly attributed to a trickle-down-effect, I'd imagine...
  • SeveSeve The island of Lemoy
    edited May 2011 Posts: 357
    Did you watch the Champions league final? No contest? Men against boys?
    All Hail Barcelona, however I think some of the journo's in the papers are getting carried away though...

Lionel Messi has certainly earnt the right to be spoken of in the same breath as Pele, Maradonna etc, however those who wish to suggest that he might be the best ever need to recognise that Pele and particularly Maradonna played during the pre 1990 era, when repeated brutal, hacking, foul tackles were generally punished by no more than a free kick. This was a disease that began to take hold of football in the 60s, when Pele was memorably on the receiving end during the 1966 World Cup, and continued thereafter, Maradonna having the **** kicked out of him in 1982 group stage being another example. This trend of cynical violence in the name of victory became a growing blight on the supposedly "beautiful game" until it reached it's nadir at the 1990 tournament.
    Little Lionel Messi wouldn't fair any better than his predecessors if he had to play under the same conditions, thankfully he doesn't have to, and we are allowed to see all he has to offer every game
  • LudsLuds MIA
    Lionel Messi has certainly earnt the right to be spoken of in the same breath as Pele, Maradonna etc,
    Perhaps if he accomplishes something at the World Cup level as well. He did play well last Cup but had little to show for.

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I don't follow Football, but I heard on the news that we beat Reading 4-2 and now have a shot at the big league. While I don't follow football, it's still nice to see the local team get a shot at the big time.
  • j7wildj7wild Suspended
    we won't have any Football this year - they are still on strike!

The team owners and the coaching staff and the players make millions/billions every year and they are on strike!!

The people who work at the stadiums during game time - the ones who are out in the heat or bitter cold of the open stadiums selling beer and hot dogs and snacks make barely above minimum wage ($7.25 per hr) - to the people who work feverish every week to get the stadiums ready before the game and get the stadiums cleaned up after each game;

while everyone else is making millions (including the companies who manufacturer the concession items from soda to beer to chips to you name it and the souvenirs suppliers like NFL team Tshirts and other knick knacks) to the TV Networks that broadcast the games to the companies that buy TV advertisement time during the game.

Greedy, just Greedy!
  • Congratulations to Swansea: just caught the highlights of the match and it was really terrific. j7, the big corporations'll give up eventually, they know as well as the strikers do that they can't function without them.
    I'm rather saddened by Monaco's relegation from the French Ligue 1.
  • SeveSeve The island of Lemoy
    I'm rather saddened by Monaco's relegation from the French Ligue 1.
    oh the humanity!

and it seems like only yesterday they were in the Champions League Final...

the days of Uncle Arsen and Manny Petite and Glenn Hoddle and Georgie Weah and Lilian Thuram and Yuri Jorkaeff and Willie Sagnol and Rafael Maquez and Fabian Barthez and Victor Ikpeba and Ludo Giulley and Marcello Gallardo and Thierry Henry and Davie Trezuguet and Patrice Evra and Emmanuel Adebayor are only a distant memory now...

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

Lionel Messi has certainly earnt the right to be spoken of in the same breath as Pele, Maradonna etc,
    Bear in mind that Messi is playing in one of the best sides ever with absolute quality around him. Easier to look good when Xavi and Iniesta are pulling the strings.

Maradona single handedly dragged a bog average side to winning the world cup in 86 and Napoli were nothing special at all until he went there and won them the title. And as you say this was in a climate when he was being hacked down all the time. For me Messi still has a lot to do to be classed with the big names like Pele, Maradona, Beckenbauer, Cruyff and Zidane. Just winning European cups is not enough, got to do it in the world cup. That said he is young and should in all likelihood go on and join the greats if he continues on his current career trajectory.

Shocked to hear about Monaco. Has Prince Albert pulled the money out?
    Got to agree with @Luds and @TheWizardOfIce on Messi. The diminutive Argentinian surely can only be considered one of the absolute greats if and when he wins the World Cup.

Harsh? Maybe, but Pele, Maradonna and Zidane all have - and, when they did so, each of them played a huge role in driving their nations to global glory. In fact, all three of 'em were pivotal in getting their nations to two separate World Cup finals; Pele being the only one of the three to win both, of course. Messi is a truly oustanding talent, no question, but when it comes to the all-time greats of the game, you have to draw the line somewhere.

And, yes, of course, congratulations to Swansea, the first Welsh club to reach the Premier League - some achievement that (well, over Cardiff, at least). They may well get steam-rollered next season, but hey... ;)