John Barry's alternative "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" theme

in Music Posts: 2,895
Around a year after scoring On Her Majesty's Secret Service, John Barry released the album Ready When You Are J.B., subtitled John Barry Plays His Greatest Movie Hits. Among the selections was a re-recorded 1970 version of the OHMSS title theme, which is slightly but noticeably different from the original. Some benevolent soul has posted it to youtube, so have a listen:

I think most would prefer the movie version, but I love the heavier, more sinister moog and the blaring horns in the middle. Not so sure about the drums. Nevertheless, this is a successfull and compelling reworking of a one of Barry's greatest compositions.

Note: the original video says the song is from 1977, but a comment below gives the correct facts.

Comments

Really, you're living up to your nick for me. This has been quite a revelation. Interesting piece: it looks more like an almost finished take rather than a later version.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I heard this earlier today - thanks for providing us with the link, @Revelator. Very interesting.
    You can find this version on the John Barry album Themeology, which if you are a Barry fan you probably have it in your collection. It's a great album