Best of Bond's snobbery

2»

Comments

• JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    "My dear girl, there are some things that just aren't done, such as drinking Dom Perignon '53 above the temperature of 38 degrees Fahrenheit. That's just as bad as listening to the Beatles without earmuffs!"

And maybe -

Tiger Tanana: "Do you like Japanese sake, Mr. Bond? Or would you prefer a vodka martini?”

James Bond: “No, no. I like sake. Especially when it’s served at the correct temperature, 98.4 degrees Fahrenheit, like this is.”

Tiger Tanaka: “For a European, you are exceptionally cultivated.”
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    On the other side of the spectrum we have this line of Vesper's regarding Bond's suit:

"You wear it with such disdain... ."

Do they suggest that the new Bond doesn't like wearing suits?
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    edited January 2016 Posts: 1,727
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    On the other side of the spectrum we have this line of Vesper's regarding Bond's suit:

No, she is making the assumption that Bond does participate in all the class-bound elitism (whether out of duty or as a means to an end is left unclear), ie. wearing the suit - but that he does not truly feel a part of it.
    He has contempt for the system that he appears to be a part of, but he doesn't truly consider himself an elitist Brit.

This is also alluded to in Fleming's work - Bond 'numbs' the pain of killing and selling his soul by overdoing the luxurious, hedonistic aspects of 'upper-class' life. But he secretly dislikes those who are born into it.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    "My dear girl, there are some things that just aren't done, such as drinking Dom Perignon '53 above the temperature of 38 degrees Fahrenheit. That's just as bad as listening to the Beatles without earmuffs!"

And maybe -

Tiger Tanana: "Do you like Japanese sake, Mr. Bond? Or would you prefer a vodka martini?”

James Bond: “No, no. I like sake. Especially when it’s served at the correct temperature, 98.4 degrees Fahrenheit, like this is.”

Tiger Tanaka: “For a European, you are exceptionally cultivated.”

The first is snobbery. Brilliant as if the temp to a degree matters that much ha ha! The second may be cultured if fact. But I gather heating Saki is regarded by some experts as a no no as it ruins the taste or purity!
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    AceHole wrote: »
    GoldenGun wrote: »

No, she is making the assumption that Bond does participate in all the class-bound elitism (whether out of duty or as a means to an end is left unclear), ie. wearing the suit - but that he does not truly feel a part of it.
    He has contempt for the system that he appears to be a part of, but he doesn't truly consider himself an elitist Brit.

This is also alluded to in Fleming's work - Bond 'numbs' the pain of killing and selling his soul by overdoing the luxurious, hedonistic aspects of 'upper-class' life. But he secretly dislikes those who are born into it.

Good point. Bond dislikes pompous upper class members. Yet is happy to dine at their clubs and share their interests.....features in many of the novels/ short stories.