Classic villains 're-imagined'?

I wonder if the resurgence of Blofeld means we'll get more 're-imagined' villains?
With the fourth Craig film, and the 'new Blofeld', it feels even more like the series was re-booted with CR. I'm wondering how far they'll go with the new Bond universe. Is he going to meet a new Goldfinger, or Scaramanga?
I know they won't re-make the original movies, and most villains are exclusive to those movies, but perhaps a cameo or a sub-plot involving one of them?
Would you welcome it, or shouldn't they go there?

Comments

• While Blofeld is imprisoned, the SPECTRE organization will need new leadership in his absence. Enter a "re-booted" Emilio Largo and Kronsteen...

Kronsteen could devise a foolproof plan to steal two nuclear weapons, holding the Western powers to ransom -- with two key demands:
    (1) $100 Billion
    (2) The unconditional release, with a full pardon, of Ernst Stavro Blofeld...
    Is there already a thread about this? Blofeld is a unique case because: 1)he is Bond's nemesis, 2)he is one of the very few recurring adversaries of Bond and 3)he was turned into a joke in the previous continuity.

Most of the other villains don't need this revamp. Dr No, Goldfinger, Grant (although he was cloned to death), Oddjob, etc. That said, for some of the cinematic incarnation, i would not mind to see a return, with another name, because they were so very different from the source material. Scaramanga was ar more brutish and vulgar than the sophisticated version we had with Christopher Lee, for instance. (Although one could say the novel's Scaramanga was truly reincarnated as Sanchez). Hugo Drax was also very different in the novel, but elements from MR were adapted over and over again in the movies, so there's not that much left from it. I'd see Mr Big as a potential villain: call him Buonaparte Ignace Gallia, have him actually big and imposing and nobody will make the connection with LALD.
    Mr. Big seems the appropriate canidate. Dr. No and Goldfinger are just perfect the way they are.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Gettler wrote: »
    Mr. Big seems the appropriate canidate. Dr. No and Goldfinger are just perfect the way they are.
    Agreed since his real name was never used in favor of Dr. Kananga. Buonapart Ignace Gallia.can still appear in a future Bond film. But other than Blofeld who I can understand why he was rebooted. I don't want to see any other classic Bond villains reimagined. There's a whole backlog of Fleming villains that haven't been touched yet.

Jack and Seraffimo Spang (DAF)

General Grubozaboyschikov (FRWL)

Colonel Von Hammerstein (FYEO)

Mr. Sanguinetti (TSWLM)

Maria Freudenstein (Property of a Lady)

Lets see them first.
    I liked the original idea for TSWLM when a group of "young Turks" take over SPECTRE and kick out Blofeld and the "old guard". With Blofeld in prison, let a group of these younger generation take over. Similar to how the young Turks(led by Luciano) of La Cosa Nostra took care of the older generation in 1931.

These Young Turks would be led by a psycho like a rebooted Dario and Fiona Volpe.
    OHMSS69 wrote: »
    I liked the original idea for TSWLM when a group of "young Turks" take over SPECTRE and kick out Blofeld and the "old guard". With Blofeld in prison, let a group of these younger generation take over. Similar to how the young Turks(led by Luciano) of La Cosa Nostra took care of the older generation in 1931.

These Young Turks would be led by a psycho like a rebooted Dario and Fiona Volpe.

I don't like it. They just brought back Blofeld, they don't need to toss him away. Give him a good arc, let him die in a blaze of glory.

The idea of a young generation of villains using the power they have arbitrarily was taken from Anthony Burgess' unfinished script... Which he had written to kill Bond once and for all!
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Ludovico wrote: »

I don't like it. They just brought back Blofeld, they don't need to toss him away. Give him a good arc, let him die in a blaze of glory.

The idea of a young generation of villains using the power they have arbitrarily was taken from Anthony Burgess' unfinished script... Which he had written to kill Bond once and for all!

Well actually that idea came from Richard Maibaum's unused 1976 script for The Spy Who Loved Me. Anthony Burgess' TSWLM script was a clear parody about a group called CHAOS.

I do agree that it's not the right time to use Mabaum's script now though.

Some additional reading from my own pen:

http://www.thebondologistblog.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/anthony-burgess-on-spy-who-loved-me.html

http://www.thebondologistblog.blogspot.co.uk/2015/08/the-madness-of-king-ernst-i-in-ian.html
    Dragonpol wrote: »

Well actually that idea came from Richard Maibaum's unused 1976 script for The Spy Who Loved Me. Anthony Burgess' TSWLM script was a clear parody about a group called CHAOS.

http://www.thebondologistblog.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/anthony-burgess-on-spy-who-loved-me.html

http://www.thebondologistblog.blogspot.co.uk/2015/08/the-madness-of-king-ernst-i-in-ian.html

Was Burgess' script written before Maibaum's one? I know Burgess did not mention SPECTRE or Blofeld, he had invented an organization of his own, I'd need to check his autobiography for more details. I know they both had an organization not wanting world domination or wealth but the arbitrary use of power. I don't even think Burgess was working on a parody as much as an assassination of Bond and his world. Obviously it would have never worked. Next time I visit the Anthony Burgess Foundation, I will try to see the script, as I think it is there.

I am not in favor of using Maibaum's script now or ever. Blofeld is the Moriarty, the Satan even of the Bond universe. Having someone taking over would just diminish his stature. Not to mention that the final blow that kills him has to come from Bond to make it satisfying.

And I still cannot comment on your blog.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited January 2016 Posts: 17,793
    Dragonpol wrote: »

Was Burgess' script written before Maibaum's one? I know Burgess did not mention SPECTRE or Blofeld, he had invented an organization of his own, I'd need to check his autobiography for more details. I know they both had an organization not wanting world domination or wealth but the arbitrary use of power. I don't even think Burgess was working on a parody as much as an assassination of Bond and his world. Obviously it would have never worked. Next time I visit the Anthony Burgess Foundation, I will try to see the script, as I think it is there.

I am not in favor of using Maibaum's script now or ever. Blofeld is the Moriarty, the Satan even of the Bond universe. Having someone taking over would just diminish his stature. Not to mention that the final blow that kills him has to come from Bond to make it satisfying.

And I still cannot comment on your blog.

@Ludovico, I'm not sure which came first out of those two scripts although they were written independently of each other in 1976. I do known though that they took the captured submarine storage silo/tanker idea seen in the film from Burgess' script.

I've recently re-read Burgess' summary of his TSWLM script in the second part of his autobiography called You've Had Your Time so I know afresh was in it. It was all rather silly but that was probably just it - "a parody with a point" as I said in the first article of mine that I linked there. I'd like to read Burgess' script myself at some point.

I'm sorry you are having difficulty commenting on my blog. I just tried a test comment myself and it worked OK for me. Can you tell me what the problem is that is not allowing you to post a comment and I'll see if I can fix that. Other members have been able to comment such as @Walecs for instance.

Anyhow, I'd really appreciate your commenting on the articles here in this thread instead as I'd be very interested in reading your thoughts on them as I know you are an Anthony Burgess aficionado.