Unreleased classic rock tunes and a discussion of what to do with them.

As I have discussed and hinted at here I am a huge yes fan and a huge classic rock fan in general since the passing of Chris Squire I have been enthralled not just with unreleased yes tracks but what other bands (Queen Jim Hendrix etc) do with unreleased tracks when their prominent members die and so I am curious as this is my only general public type forum I am on if say McCartney Ringo and Jeff Lynne (with permission from the Lennon and Harrison estates) went back and took every unreleased Beatles tune and released a "new album" Carnival of Lights how would you feel? Should unreleased songs get their place to shine or should they forever be lost in poor quality youtube vids and back alley cd and records and of course collecting dust in McCartney's basement?

To be honest Some on the music site I visit think the past it the past move on to new things However is that really fair to the song? I would argue ever Hardcore fan of a band has at least 1or 2 favorite unreleased tracks.

So this thread is two fold 1. What should be done about the songs and if your bold 2. Have yu ever created an unreleased album your Self compliing demos For a mix album of your choosing. If So share it here.

Comments

• PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    I think that all unreleased anything (movies, music, etc. ) should eventually be released. Quantum of Solace deleted scene please!
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited December 2015 Posts: 12,459
    As a serious Marc Bolan /T.Rex fan, I hear you. However, I think basically each artist's estate has its own legal rights and ways of dealing with this issue. Bob Marley and Jimi Hendrix are two examples of families & estates managing their music catalog well after they died. Marc Bolan was unfortunate in that his estate was left in shambles, real disarray, and the management assigned to his music catalog did a horrible job. I think only in the last 15 years has good effort been made at times (not much) and it is still a mess. His legacy has taken hold, though, happy to see that. And the few high quality releases (especially the full recordings for BBC, 6 CDs; Unchained - series of previously unreleased takes, 8 CDs just re-released, and stellar 2005 totally restored film, Born to Boogie, which Ringo directed and shot, and was #1 music dvd in 2005) have really helped. In Bolan's case, his private trusts from his will are not public knowledge and the current management company could do far better, in many people's opinion ... especially to work at releasing unreleased music from Marc. But it is stuck where it is. Also, in Marc's case, he was the only songwriter and really was T.Rex. The other band members were technically hired musicians on contract (even the longtime members; that is just what it was). It was not a collaborative effort for the music as far writing the songs or deciding the direction of the music, though Marc would demo a song to his bandmates and let them decide (for the most part) how to play the bass and drums on it (he always had final say, though, of course). The ownership of the music was definitely Marc's until he died (so young, age 29, car accident).

People have made it known they have unreleased master tapes of Marc Bolan and the management company is not allowing them to released them yet. This has been dragging on for several years. Do I want unreleased music released, in quality format? Of course I do. Every single note, every spoken word. It matters to me. I belong to two Marc Bolan closed groups on Facebook; good resources for fan made videos, music, discussions, photos. This issue you have raised is one of our hottest tropics, always.

So for your questions, I believe there is not one answer or an easy solution. Each estate has legal responsibilities and apppoint manager(s) of the artist's music catalog. Whether music is found (master tapes, demo tapes, alternate takes, etc.) and is released is a huge issue but lays squarely within the legal boundaries of each estate/management. If you want to voice your concerns or ask questions, you can contact each management company. Whether you get any answer or not, I have no idea.

Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr have their own plan, I am sure. ;) I love The Beatles. Paul and Ringo can do whatever they want with their music. I'm positive they have given this thought (what happens after they die).

By the way, I saw Yes in concert, 1972 or 1973 in huge, freezing cold at Tampa Stadium. It was an amazingly good show. I saw ELO in concert about 1977, huge indoor arena, Tampa; great show - Roll Over Beethoven finale was fantastic. :)

True and sometimes releasing some things can cause issues for others case in point there are at least 4-5 unreleased doors tunes but instead of those they focused on working Jim's poetry into doors songs for An American prayer and I am willing to bet Made in heaven is not how Freddie Mercury would of done the album had he lived however not reworking the material also poses a slight danger looking at the final Floyd album which could of been fantastic but as to stands it's a handful of half ideas and one good final song.

I forgot about the tragic case of Marc Bohn one wonders how the world of music might of been different if he didn't die.

I love bang a gong but confess it's the only trex track I know
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited December 2015 Posts: 12,459
    "Get it On" (in U.S. "Bang a Gong, Get it On" - that was T.Rex's biggest international hit for sure. It's all I ever head of them living in the U.S. But Bolan had 10+ solid years of prolific songwriting and recording; the far majority of which I genuinely love, varied though it is. Tyrannosaurus Rex first (as a duo; cosmic, fantastical, kind of middle earth folk period), then T.Rex (1970 thru 1977). His lyrics and style were original & he never stood still, kept changing.

Music is so personal, so I don't expect everybody to share my view completely; of course not. We all have favorite musicians/groups. But I can honestly say that Bolan's music has been a huge positive in my life. As a 15 yr old listening to T.Rex on the radio for the first time, transfixed, and as an adult. Whatever music you listen to that moves you, inspires you, enriches your life - that is such a gift.

I would hope that all unreleased recordings (for artists who have died) would be released, in a timely enough fashion, and in a quality product. But each case is unique, for sure.

As for people adding instrumentation, overdubs, remixing the artist's original work - I personally do not care for that at all. Just not for me.