Q

edited November 2015 in Bond Movies Posts: 92
And I'm talking about the Desmond Q - not so much the actor, but the character and his scenes.

As much of a Bond fan as I am (ongoing 35+ years), I have never really loved Q.
Lots of people seem to obviously.
I often found his scenes to be groan-inducing and/or cheesy (with exceptions), throwaway and, yes I suppose his acting... well, just not very good really.
While getting that Q and his gadgets are a part of Bond, I just never really enjoyed his scenes.

I was just wondering if many other people felt the same way.

Comments

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited November 2015 Posts: 17,730
    I think as he got older (noticeably in GoldenEye) his acting skills were less, but perhaps that was understandable given his age. However I've always liked Q in the Bonds and Desmond Llewelyn as a person. Also we must remember that along with Sir Roger Moore he always represented the Bond films (and it has to be said Bond novels and Ian Fleming) as an important ambassador over many years' service until his tragic death in a car crash in December 1999.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I always loved Q and his equipment scenes. :)
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Also we must remember that along with Sir Roger Moore he always represented the Bond films (and it has to be said Bond novels and Ian Fleming) as an important ambassador over many years' service until his tragic death in a car crash in December 1999.

Yes I get that of course.

But putting that aside....

Just grit your teeth and focus on the gagdets.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    dandan wrote:
    And I'm talking about the Desmond Q - not so much the actor, but the character and his scenes.

As much of a Bond fan as I am (ongoing 35+ years), I have never really loved Q.
    Lots of people seem to obviously.
    I often found his scenes to be groan-inducing and/or cheesy (with exceptions), throwaway and, yes I suppose his acting... well, just not very good really.
    While getting that Q and his gadgets are a part of Bond, I just never really enjoyed his scenes.

I was just wondering if many other people felt the same way.

Wasn't this the point? Some levity between the action and excitement?

I loved Desmond Llewelyn. His scenes/conversation with Bond in TWINE is so poignant, and one of the best parts of that film.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 92
    Bond films are hardly in special need of extra "levity"!
    I suppose if that was indeed "the point", I just don't like that particular point.