the One Ring That Binds Them All: The SPECTRE Ring Decoding

2»

Comments

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited November 2015 Posts: 9,117
    Ok this time round I just about managed to clock that Qs laptop shows that Le Chiffre, Greene and Silva all showed traces of the chemical element Zirconium which therefore ties them to the ring. But I saw that because I was looking for it. Joe Public watching the film would never see that and spend the rest of the film thinking 'how the f**k did you Q know they are linked?'

The shot lasts about 3 seconds and it's not enough to take that in. All that's needed is a small extension on Q's line 'You were right 007.' Just add 'They all show traces of Zirconium which is ultra rare and only found in meteorites etc.'

Perhaps if Sam spent more time getting basic story elements in place than planning ostentatious opening shots the film might gel together better as a whole?
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited November 2015 Posts: 10,588
    Ok this time round I just about managed to clock that Qs laptop shows that Le Chiffre, Greene and Silva all showed traces of the chemical element Zirconium which therefore ties them to the ring. But I saw that because I was looking for it. Joe Public watching the film would never see that and spend the rest of the film thinking 'how the f**k did you Q know they are linked?'

The shot lasts about 3 seconds and it's not enough to take that in. All that's needed is a small extension on Q's line 'You were right 007.' Just add 'They all show traces of Zirconium which is ultra rare and only found in meteorites etc.'

Perhaps if Sam spent more time getting basic story elements in place than planning ostentatious opening shots the film might gel together better as a whole?
    The sad thing is I believe they already had those lines, but deleted them for what I'm guessing are runtime purposes.
    jake24 wrote: »

The sad thing is I believe they already had those lines, but deleted them for what I'm guessing are runtime purposes.

Are you joking? A line that takes what? 4 or 5 seconds but is so crucial to the plot?

Yet we couldn't clip 5 seconds of the endless day of the dead footage, MP opening her fridge or supercars doing power slides round corners?
    I always thought it was a mix of finding DNA samples, fingerprints and the background of each person: not every DNA was on it but they knew Sciarra knew White who knew Le Chiffre or something like that.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?

You've hit the nail on the head there WizardofIce. All Spectre needed was a couple of specific dialogue sentances to tie a lot more of it together.

I quite like the idea of giving the Spectre ring an actual use i.e. The ring is NFC and Spectre agents use it to log on to Spectres secure network. Q could have hacked it and downloaded all the info from it.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Mallory wrote: »

You've hit the nail on the head there WizardofIce. All Spectre needed was a couple of specific dialogue sentances to tie a lot more of it together.

I quite like the idea of giving the Spectre ring an actual use i.e. The ring is NFC and Spectre agents use it to log on to Spectres secure network. Q could have hacked it and downloaded all the info from it.

I agree, it would have been awesome too if they'd tied the rings together with the meteorite in Morocco.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 5,767
    I think it's part 'we dont need to tell the audience everything' and part 'if this was real life would you be worried about finding Oberhauser or how the DNA was on the ring'. If I was in that situation as Bond in the hotel room with Q I'd honestly be like "oh shit, it makes sense" not "well Q, how conclusive are your tests and what metals etc etc"
    Yeah, except I´m not Bond in the hotel room but audience in a cinema seat, so storytelling matters to me.

Mallory wrote: »
    They probably had the idea in the script and scratched it when M:I RN had the same thing ;-).
    boldfinger wrote: »
    I think it's part 'we dont need to tell the audience everything' and part 'if this was real life would you be worried about finding Oberhauser or how the DNA was on the ring'. If I was in that situation as Bond in the hotel room with Q I'd honestly be like "oh shit, it makes sense" not "well Q, how conclusive are your tests and what metals etc etc"
    Yeah, except I´m not Bond in the hotel room but audience in a cinema seat, so storytelling to me.

Bang on Sir. I've seen the film 3 times now and it's only on the latest viewing that I managed to see that Q used the ring to form a link because there were traces of Zr found on Le Chiffre, Greene and Silva.

Joe Public seeing the film once hasn't got a hope and frankly that's just poor storytelling.

Well the issue is also what is quantum in relation to Spectre the people behind the scenes have no idea how the connect (I have heard that quantum is spectre's South American branch a proto spectre etc)

What I hate is the reveal of The names Quantum and Spectre were done so poorly.

Again couldn't they do something more interesting and have White explain the relationship ...

Over all the ring bothers me but not as much as other things