Ideas for Action Setpieces?

I will start with my usual disclaimer: If this is a thread somewhere else, then I apologize. I did several searches and couldn’t find anything.

Now that we’ve had a little time to digest Spectre, I see that one minor complaint I’ve heard about the action in the film is that it contains too many sequences involving helicopters. I suppose that’s a fair assessment, and I think it’s safe to say that Sam Mendes loves his ‘copters. I can’t blame him. I think they’re very cinematic, and they always look great blowing up.

I understand, though, that people are always hoping for something new and unique. But after 24 films over 50+ years, I have to ask myself: is there ANY kind of action sequence that hasn't been done already, either by Bond or one of its imitators?
We've had chases via plane, train, car, jet, helicopter, motorcycle, tank, fire truck, cable car, blimp, hot air balloon, submarine, motorboat, ski, bobsled, snowboard, snowmobile, surfboard, gondola, space shuttle, horse, tanker truck, crane, oil pipeline, and hovercraft. We’ve had action sequences set on/in volcanoes, satellite dishes, fuel cell-powered hotels, oil rigs, underwater hideaways, construction sites, elevators, ancient ruins, museums, prisons, air force bases, space stations, mines, mountains, parades, bridges, hidden islands, submarines, palaces, horse races, circuses, cliffs, canals, ice castles, stealth ships, towers, snowscapes, deserts, and jungles.
Anyone have any ideas for some kind of action setpiece that hasn’t been done? About the only thing I can think of is a mine car chase, and Indiana Jones already took that one.
I’m sure the action scenes in future Bond films will continue to be impressive and well-made, but will we ever have the pleasure of seeing a new, innovative action setpiece again? Is there anything you’d all like to see in a Bond movie that hasn’t been done?

Comments

• OnlyManWhoCanOnlyManWhoCan Greater London
    I started writing a fan fiction a while back where the literary Bond goes undercover on a big budget spy movie not a million miles away from the cinematic James Bond. Very meta!

I didn't get very far, but the final act was going to take place inside a massive set of a villain's lair, which contained a prop nuclear missile. But it turns out it's real!

I thought an interesting/far fetched idea for the lair was kinda an underwater missile silo, with walls made of thick glass allowing you to look at into the sea.

Of course, this effect would be achieved with massive water tanks stacked atop each other which would have been shattered during the final action sequence, in which Bond is trying to diffuse a real nuke while the fake set collapses around him - I imagined him being washed away from the nuke and outside the soundstage while the countdown clock continues to tick.

I guess this is a long way of saying: how about an action set piece with torrents of fast flowing water? (Although it would seem similar to a few set pieces in CR, TWINE and AVTAK)?
  • DrShatterhandDrShatterhand Garden of Death, near Belfast
    What about an ice truck? Everyone loves a bit of ice trucking.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    This thread is going to yet again lead to a lot of disappointment.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    In case Disney gets the distribution rights I want the Disney Castle being the villain's lair, complete with dungeons and tower.
    A deranged villainesse who thinks she is Cinderella.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited December 2015 Posts: 4,399
  • I started writing a fan fiction a while back where the literary Bond goes undercover on a big budget spy movie not a million miles away from the cinematic James Bond. Very meta!

I didn't get very far, but the final act was going to take place inside a massive set of a villain's lair, which contained a prop nuclear missile. But it turns out it's real!

I thought an interesting/far fetched idea for the lair was kinda an underwater missile silo, with walls made of thick glass allowing you to look at into the sea.

Of course, this effect would be achieved with massive water tanks stacked atop each other which would have been shattered during the final action sequence, in which Bond is trying to diffuse a real nuke while the fake set collapses around him - I imagined him being washed away from the nuke and outside the soundstage while the countdown clock continues to tick.

I guess this is a long way of saying: how about an action set piece with torrents of fast flowing water? (Although it would seem similar to a few set pieces in CR, TWINE and AVTAK)?

This is a really cool idea! And, as you said, very meta. I like it!