Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (TV miniseries 1979)

j7wildj7wild Suspended
edited August 2011 in General Movies & TV Posts: 823
Is it worth watching at 324 min?

Also, its sequel, the 1982 TV miniseries Smiley's People?

Are they worth watching?

I've seen both DVD sets for rent on my stores shelves before and I myself must have checked it in for the customers and shelved them back 100 times;

but I've never though of taking them home myself.

But now with a movie coming out, my interest has been piqued!

Comments

Absolutely @j7wild, they are both worth watching. They are both slow and wordy - in the very best possible way - and gripping from start to finish. The Beeb at its best! Knowing that Le Carre was in the service himself adds to the sense that this was the way that real spies conducted business. Both series are full of tremendous performances but Alec Guiness stands head and shoulders above them all. I'm not sure if I would recommend watching the series or the film first. I suppose it depends on which way you'd like to find out who the spy is in 'Tinker'. I hope you enjoy them.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    If the books are anything to go by I would reccommend it. Never seen those series, but the books are Carre at his best!
  • j7wildj7wild Suspended
    I will try to watch them but they are awfully long - I may have watch them in between late night feedings of my twin babies...