Rank the Ski Chases

It seems a lot of people are wanting another Bond ski chase, here's my rankings of the ones we've had so far

1. On Her Majesty's Secret Service
2. The Spy Who Loved Me
3. For Your Eyes Only
4. The World is Not Enough
5. A View to a KIll

Comments

• AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    Well, I wanted either a ski chase or a good underwater sequence - they are sort of staples of Bond that need revisiting every few films as their dynamic & setting make very good cinema from a visual stance, irrespective of how they fit into the plot.
    We're long overdue at least one of these, methinks

I have a real soft spot for wintersport-action in Bond as I grew up with skiing & snowboarding each Christmas thanks to my Austrian side of the family. Anyway, to answer your query:

1. FYEO (Bogner at his creative best, and so well edited)

2. OHMSS (The most epic, and most beautifully captured of all)

3. AVTAK (Underrated PTS & very well done from a technical point of, er, view :>)

4. TSWLM (Classic, sure, but it's more about the base jump, really)

5. TWINE (Contrived and boring. How not to do an action sequence on ski’s…)
    AceHole wrote: »
    Well, I wanted either a ski chase or a good underwater sequence - they are sort of staples of Bond that need revisiting every few films as their dynamic & setting make very good cinema from a visual stance, irrespective of how they fit into the plot.

I have a real soft spot for wintersport-action in Bond as I grew up with skiing & snowboarding each Christmas thanks to my Austrian side of the family. Anyway, to answer your query:

3. AVTAK (Underrated PTS & very well done from a technical point of, er, view :>)

I agree, skiing seems quintessential Bond in a way, probably because it's quite Fleming - the Kitzbuhel connection.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    edited November 2015 Posts: 1,727
    tigers99 wrote: »
    AceHole wrote: »

I agree, skiing seems quintessential Bond in a way, probably because it's quite Fleming - the Kitzbuhel connection.

Yes, Fleming spent quite a lot of time in Kitzbühel, Tyrol, before the war.
    He stayed with & was friends with a certain Count Charles Seilern, who resided there. It's also here that he met Conrad O'Brien-ffrench, a British secret service officer whom Fleming used as inspiration for Bond.
  • JNOJNO Finland
    1. FYEO... simply the best.

2. OHMSS... true classic.

3. TSWLM... a true classic also with my favorite Bond tune, Bond ´77!

4. TWINE... enjoyable scene in an upsetting film.

5. AVTAK... good action in many ways but that f....g Beach Boys!
    1. FYEO

2. OHMSS

3. TSWLM

4. AVTAK

5. TWINE

I really like all of them actually =) A bit dissapointed there was no skiing in SPECTRE...
  • sunsanvilsunsanvil Somewhere in Canada....somewhere.
    edited November 2015 Posts: 260
    1. On Her Majesty's Secret Service for the win. Willy Bogner and that killer, and I mean KILLER John Barry tune! n'uff said.
    2. The Spy Who Loved me. Quintessential Bond, marred only by Hamlishe's obsession with The Bee Gees (nothing against them, but his fixation put a permanent date stamp on the movie).
    3. For Your Eyes Only. Not as artful as OHMSS, but probably the most thrilling sequence of the bunch. The motorbikes were deliciously outrageous.
    4. The World Is Not Enough. Tightly filmed action. Fantastic, punchy soundtrack. Lacked originality.
    5. A View To A Kill. As my esteemed fellow bond fan has already pointed out, I just can't get past the vaudeville touch of shoehorning the Beach Boys in there.

(SPECTRE Spoiler):
    I was shocked, SHOCKED I tell you when the Piz Glo....I mean Hoffler Klinik chapter in SPECTRE did NOT conclude with an epic ski sequence. Instead we got a vanilla plane crash....
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Happy to see so many first places for FYEO!

Here's mine-

1. FYEO(marvellous, marvellous)
    2. TSWLM (thrilling)
    3. OHMSS (love it. Perhaps a tad too much rear projection)
    4. AVTAK (good. Some nice stunts)

5. TWINE (a borefest)
  • 1. OHMSS (fast-paced, exciting, gruesome in places, and exquisitely filmed)
    2. FYEO (marred somewhat by Bill Conti’s score and the silly ending where Kriegler apparently can’t shoot Bond from twenty feet away, but amazing nonetheless)
    3. TSWLM (solid chase and a lot of fun, punctuated by the best end to any setpiece in Bond history)
    4. AVTAK (so much fun and well choreographed, and I even sort of like the Beach Boys song playing over it – sue me, AVTAK was my first Bond movie so I can’t help but feel affectionate)
    5. TWINE (not bad, but feels a little “meh” – the only ski chase in the series that I don’t find particularly exciting or engaging)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    1. OHMSS (fast-paced, exciting, gruesome in places, and exquisitely filmed)
    2. FYEO (marred somewhat by Bill Conti’s score and the silly ending where Kriegler apparently can’t shoot Bond from twenty feet away, but amazing nonetheless)
    3. TSWLM (solid chase and a lot of fun, punctuated by the best end to any setpiece in Bond history)
    4. AVTAK (so much fun and well choreographed, and I even sort of like the Beach Boys song playing over it – sue me, AVTAK was my first Bond movie so I can’t help but feel affectionate)
    5. TWINE (not bad, but feels a little “meh” – the only ski chase in the series that I don’t find particularly exciting or engaging)

My exact ranking.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    1) FYEO: I know people hate on the music Conti delivers but the brassy sounds on top of the truly exciting camera work always gets me to make a fist and shout, "yeah"!

2) OHMSS: Impressive camera work, both on the ground and in the air!

3) TSWLM: The stunt at the end of an already cool chase is the real thing. What a performance!

4) AVTAK: Yeah... Barry helps a great deal. Not much going on though. And the projection shots are too obvious.

5) TWINE: Unexciting and with a constant emphasis on being "slow". Ski chases are about speed. But neither the camera work, the editing or Arnold's music drives that point home.
    1) OHMSS : A classic

2) FYEO : I must say I applauded that one in the theater I saw it in. Especially right after the big jump (and just before Conti's "Runaway")

3) TSWLM : Yes, of course, it's all about the base jump, but not only : first use of acrobatic skiing in a movie, if I'm not mistaken.

4) AVTAK : Too bad it was destroyed by the use of "California Girls". After the slide whistle, another example of how you can ruin a great scene with bad use of music.

5) TWINE
    1. FYEO
    2. OHMSS
    3.TSWLM
    4.TWINE
    5.AVTAK
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    1. For Your Eyes Only
    2. On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    3. The Spy Who Loved Me
    4. A View to a KIll
    5. The World is Not Enough
  • TigerTanakaTigerTanaka Welcome to Japan, Mr. Bond
    1. The Spy Who Loved me (Mainly because of the stunt at the end)
    2.On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    3.For your Eyes Only
    4. A View to a Kill (Well, the Beach Boys song was proper--It is a Roger Moore Bond film after all)
    5. The World is Not Enough
  • MansfieldMansfield Where the hell have you been?
    1. For Your Eyes Only
    2. On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    3. A View to a Kill (John Barry: Snow Job)
    4. The World is Not Enough
    5. The Spy Who Loved Me
    6. A View to a Kill (Beach Boys: California Dreaming)
  • TubesTubes The Hebrew Hammer
    1. "Sorry darling, something came up."
    2. "He had lots of guts!"
    3. "The opposite sex would never survive it."
    4. "See you back at the lodge."
    5. "Call me James. It's five days to Alaska."
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    1. OHMSS
    2. FYEO
    3. TSWLM
    4. AVTAK
    5. TWINE
    1. OHMSS

2.TSWLM
    3. FYEO

4. AVTAK (weak scene redeemed by Barry's score)
    5. TWINE
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I was a little bit sad that we didn't get one in Spectre as I thought it was expected in the snow scene.
    Ya that was probably the only time Craig could have had one. I don't see them going back to a snowy environment 2 films in a row.Its a real shame
    Twine is so stilted. There's absolutely zero drama or sense of danger. However the establishing shot of the two of them shot on a helicopter over the glacier is very beautiful.

I prefer ohmss. It feels like bond is in the wild.
    The one in AVTAK is quite weak aswell. The worst bit is at the end when Moore sleazes it up with the most unconvincing female agent ever.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 3,336
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    I was a little bit sad that we didn't get one in Spectre as I thought it was expected in the snow scene.

Me 2. That Was what i wanted the most in the movie (actionwise at least)
  • echoecho 007 in New York

Surprised they didn't work in skiing somehow. Or at least Q snowboarding...
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    1.OHMSS.
    2.TWINE.
    3.FYEO.
    4.TSWLM.
    5.AVTAK.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    echo wrote: »

Surprised they didn't work in skiing somehow. Or at least Q snowboarding...

Or how about Q whispers to Bond when the goons arrive that he left a pair of skis for him in the ski rack outside the clinic?

Then cue a ski chase with gadget laden skis (don't ask me what they are. Maybe Bond jumps of a cliff and instead of having a parachute the skis start rotating and become helicopter rotors? What do you mean I've lost the plot?)
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    1. On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    2. The Spy Who Loved Me
    3. A View to a Kill
    4. For Your Eyes Only
    5. The World Is Not Enough
    1. Escape from Piz Gloria (the moonlight chase)
    2. FYEO
    3. TSWLM PTS
    4. AVTAK -despite the bad audio joke I thought it pretty thrilling
    5. TWINE
  • For me

1.OHMSS
    2.TSWLM
    3.FYEO
    4.TWINE
    5.AVTAK.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @MajorBoothroyd32, but you already posted that list. In the opening post of this thread. :(|)