Box-ticking-Bond: which one has ALL the ingredients?

AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
in Bond Movies Posts: 1,727
I’m all for a good story-driven Bond film without gimmicks, and CR did this best I think - but a vacuous part of my nostalgia fueled mind is glad we have some of the classic cliches back. Now that SP has revived a few good old Bond tropes, I’m looking back to see which of the films does the most ‘box ticking’.

SP does a few things imo:

- The PTS goes balls-to-the-wall and offers the biggest stunt. TSWLM started this trend, with MR, OP, LTK and GE following suit.
- Bond & M together in the office again (finally)
- Q-lab scene
- Gadget-laden car(chase)
- A watch that goes bang…
- Villain’s ‘lair’ goes up in flames

But I also miss some of the classic stuff to be honest, such as skiing, underwater action/scenes, Bond staying in a hotel and snooping around the locales, and perhaps a shark or two…?

So, in your opinion, where are the 007 ingredients crammed in so tightly that there is barely room to breathe..?
I think there is a case for TSWLM. MR is a box-ticker, sure, but it lacked Spy’s skiing & aqua variation…
FYEO really crammed a lot of locations & terrains into one movie, although it lacked gadgets & über-villains.
TND also did a fair bit of ‘ticking’…

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    For me it's easily TSWLM.

It box ticked nearly everything, and executed it to perfection, so it still remains in many fan's (casual and hardcore) top 10 lists all these years later.

Nothing has come close since imho.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    bondjames wrote: »

It box ticked nearly everything, and executed it to perfection, so it still remains in many fan's (casual and hardcore) top 10 lists all these years later.

Although I don't hold it in as high regard as most fans (I'll comfortably put FYEO and TLD ahead of it in my favs) I'll agree that as an exercise in combining the elements that would pass as Bond tropes it is almost flawlessly executed.
    Come to think of it - if 'Spy' had a John Barry score along the lines of what he came up for with MR then I'd probably hold it in much higher regard...
    AceHole wrote: »

Although I don't hold it in as high regard as most fans (I'll comfortably put FYEO and TLD ahead of it in my favs) I'll agree that as an exercise in combining the elements that would pass as Bond tropes it is almost flawlessly executed.
    Come to think of it - if 'Spy' had a John Barry score along the lines of what he came up for with MR then I'd probably hold it in much higher regard...

True. A Barry score is the one essential 'Box Tick' that it missed, regrettably.
    nice observations but it takes guts to go outside of the tick box agenda and either create a classic or a stinker, OHMSS and SF are two of may favourites and they go way outside the formula
    patb wrote: »
    nice observations but it takes guts to go outside of the tick box agenda and either create a classic or a stinker, OHMSS and SF are two of may favourites and they go way outside the formula

Well OHMSS has the following...

- An Aston Martin (granted, 'sans' gadgets)
    - A nemesis' base
    - Plenty of skiing (although it 'started' that trend, if you like...)
    - An over the top evil plan
    - A big shootout ending in said lair's destruction

So still plenty of 'formula' in there I thought.

SF... well, whether it worked or not is a matter of opinion. I don't share your enthusiasm for it :D
    falling in love, getting married and having Mrs Bond killed at the end,? way out of the formula surely? and yes, so much of the other content is within the formula and expertly excecuted
    patb wrote: »
    falling in love, getting married and having Mrs Bond killed at the end,? way out of the formula surely? and yes, so much of the other content is within the formula and expertly excecuted

Yes, I did know what you meant by stepping away from the formula regarding OHMSS :D

I just find it more 'formulaic' than SF, for example, especially since it used Fleming's story and actually had something to say about the character of Bond, rather than SF trying to be all psychoanalytic about it but failing miserably imho.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 162
    When we talked about this years ago on KTBEU, it seems like the consensus was that Goldfinger begins this formula, and that it does a few things that set the direction of the franchise in a few, not so positive ways:

1. Bond is an invincible Superman
    2. Bond getting captured is inevitable, possibly because he wants to get caught?
    3. Bond is good at relying on other people to do the work for him.

It has everything else you would expect from what most consider the forumla. I like Goldfinger, but when you really look at it critically, it has some issues that it shared with future films in the franchise.
    edited November 2015 Posts: 1,727
    lalala2004 wrote: »
    When we talked about this years ago on KTBEU, it seems like the consensus was that Goldfinger begins this formula, and that it does a few things that set the direction of the franchise in a few, not so positive ways:

2. Bond getting captured is inevitable, possibly because he wants to get caught?

It has everything else you would expect from what most consider the forumla. I like Goldfinger, but when you really look at it critically, it has some issues that it shared with future films in the franchise.

But GF lacks panache. It's locations and set-pieces are about as titillating as Rosa Klebs' cleavage...
    Therefor I can't consider it more 'typical Bond' than TSWLM or even TND...
  • RC7RC7
    No film has all the ingredients. That's why the series is so good. Depending on what ingredients you fancy you can pick the applicable film. It's also why the whole 'best Bond film ever' concept is moot, every film adds at least one element to the Bond broth, but were you to throw everything into the pot it would be a categorical mess.
    RC7 wrote: »
    No film has all the ingredients. That's why the series is so good. Depending on what ingredients you fancy you can pick the applicable film. It's also why the whole 'best Bond film ever' concept is moot, every film adds at least one element to the Bond broth, but were you to throw everything into the pot it would be a categorical mess.

TSWLM and TND, arguably, did just this, though.
  • RC7RC7

I don't think any film has all the ingredients, I think it's impossible.

All right then - what doesn't TSWLM have, in the way of classic Bond tropes? :-/
    edited November 2015 Posts: 23,883
    But GF lacks panache. It's locations and set-pieces are about as titillating as Rosa Klebs' cleavage...

Perish the thought!

I agree that GF started the trend though. The trouble for it however is those tropes have been done better in countless later films, most notably TSWLM (from my perspective) and that dates both GF & YOLT in my eyes.

That's the problem with the box ticking......if it's been done better before or after, it can be an unsuccessful element for some.

I felt that way about some elements in SP to be honest (train fight, Mexico lair, Aston car chase etc.). The familiarity breeds contempt in a way...

One has to ensure such 'ticking' is done in a very fresh manner every time, and that's difficult to achieve with such a long running series. I still think Campbell knows how to do it very well. There were two Astons in CR as well, but how they were used was completely unexpected - both times.
  • RC7RC7
    edited November 2015 Posts: 10,512

All right then - what doesn't TSWLM have, in the way of classic Bond tropes? :-/

Well, for a kick off it doesn't have Bond and M in his office, so that's a play on the tropes you mention already. I think it depends on your idea of 'ingredients' to be honest. I see there being many ingredients that become synonymous with Bond, plucked from the wider canon. Some would argue boat chases are part of the Bond cook book, in much the same way you could say alpine scenes are a significantly memorable ingredient. They're not nearly in every film, but have a level of synonymity to them.
    Just to be clear - I'm not saying that I'm particularly in favour of the 'box-ticking', plenty of the films have done too much of it.

But there are elements that I want to see addressed again - the lack of skiing/wintersport flavour and/or ocean-based action in the Craig era is something I was hoping might be dealt with in SP... hope springs eternal.
    But there are elements that I want to see addressed again - the lack of skiing/wintersport flavour and/or ocean-based action in the Craig era is something I was hoping might be dealt with in SP... hope springs eternal.

I agree. Long overdue imho. I don't count AVTAK pretitles or the shambles in TWINE as proper alpine skiing (one played for laughs, the other a borefest).

We're long overdue for oceans and SHARKS!

I agree. Long overdue imho. I don't count AVTAK pretitles or the shambles in TWINE as proper alpine skiing (one played for laughs, the other a borefest).

We're long overdue for oceans and SHARKS!

Seconded. And it's not just for nostalgic reasons - Alpine sports and underwater sequences really lend themselves to the big screen, they are entirely cinematic.

Imagine the cinematographic quality of Skyfall capturing a TSWLM style PTS...?? Or the underwater exploration of FYEO... YUM.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    Goldfinger - Great PTS with Bond rigging up the silo, the switch to the White dinner jacket. The Femme fatale, fight, amusing witty remark.

Great title song and visual sequence.

Women - Pussy Galore and all her flying circus girls
    A great villain with a real plan
    A great side kick with something unique
    Great locations both sides of the Atlantic
    Sean's suits
    The famous laser scene with "No Mr Bond I expect you to die"
    the DB5
    The Golf Scene
    Tragedy of both Masterson sisters
    The tense climax
    The aeroplane nerve gas scene (I reckon that had more extra's than the day of the dead).
    The scenes with M "You'll draw it from Q Branch... with the rest of your equipment... in the morning" as bond goes to lift the gold bullion bar.

I think Goldfinger might have it all, as child I found it the most exciting Bond film. When going round the usual cycle of watching the whole collection it is still one I can not wait to see again and again.
    Goldfinger - Great PTS with Bond rigging up the silo, the switch to the White dinner jacket. The Femme fatale, fight, amusing witty remark.

Sean's suits
    the DB5
    The Golf Scene
    The tense climax
    The aeroplane nerve gas scene (I reckon that had more extra's than the day of the dead).
    The scenes with M "You'll draw it from Q Branch... with the rest of your equipment... in the morning" as bond goes to lift the gold bullion bar.

I think Goldfinger might have it all, as child I found it the most exciting Bond film. When going round the usual cycle of watching the whole collection it is still one I can not wait to see again and again.

I'll agree with all except the item in bold. And I wasn't crazy about the time 007 spent in captivity, but that's an old gripe.

Sean's suits
    the DB5
    The Golf Scene
    The tense climax

I'll agree with all except the item in bold. And I wasn't crazy about the time 007 spent in captivity, but that's an old gripe.

I agree 100% the captivity aspect is a little frustrating.
  • AceHole wrote: »
    lalala2004 wrote: »

Therefor I can't consider it more 'typical Bond' than TSWLM or even TND...

But the KFC bucket really adds to the film's atmosphere! :))
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    GoldenSpectreEye
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens

This. The best Moore film and my personal favorite of all of them. To me, this is was the refined and superior Goldfinger, even though I know many would bash me for this.

This. The best Moore film and my personal favorite of all of them. To me, this is was the refined and superior Goldfinger, even though I know many would bash me for this.

Let them bash you all they want. It sure as hell doesn't plod in the middle like GF, and actually allows 007 to DO something...
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    There's box ticking and then there is box ticking. DAD clearly ticks all of the boxes...but is that a good thing?
    NicNac wrote: »
    There's box ticking and then there is box ticking. DAD clearly ticks all of the boxes...but is that a good thing?

Well, the scope of my post steers well clear of labeling the box-ticking 'good or bad', I merely wish to see what others here think of it and which films have the most of it. And is it quantifiable or subjective...? Who knows :)
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    GoldenEye ticks all the boxes for me. :)
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    GE
    SP
    TLD
    OHMSS
    GF
    NicNac wrote: »

LOL good point!