Bond and Mr White

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Does this BTS shot from Spectre reveal Mr. White's true identity?
    http://i1.wp.com/www.commander007.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Spectre_619.5.jpg

Or is Friedrich König just an alias? Wouldn't his surname be Swann? I like how White's codename 'The Pale King' and his daughter's surname are evocative of his (supposed) name.

You can also see he was born in 1954.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Why does a restaurant in Austria print it's receipts in French?
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com

I don't know but it's a very good question, @Wizard.

• TokolosheTokoloshe Under your bed
    Dragonpol wrote: »

They are all totally separate documents. There's nothing on that French language receipt to indicate it's from Austria. The street name looks French (Rue Du... something).

Tokoloshe wrote: »
    Dragonpol wrote: »

They are all totally separate documents. There's nothing on that French language receipt to indicate it's from Austria. The street name looks French (Rue Du... something).

Looks like 'Rue Du Pale'?

Anyway fair point.

Another thing I noticed: they already mention in the meeting that the Pale King is in Altaussee so Bond's chat with MP during the car chase is utterly redundant except that she reveals the Pale King is Mr White ('Of course. Mr White!!' Classic delivery that is right up there with 'Knew all about my shoulder')
    Interesting shot here of White's wall in devotion to his daughter:
    http://leaseydoux.org/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=19489&fullsize=1

Very interesting.

- There are a load of shots of Lea as a child.
    - A shot that seems like it is supposed to be Mr White and his wife. Can't really make it out.
    - A shot of a baby with some stranger (definitely not Jesper Christensen).
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited May 2016 Posts: 4,043
    I actually think the Mr White element is my favourite thing about SPECTRE.

Although its also frustrating because with the existing material devised ironically by Purvis & Wade this all could have been so much better.

The brother element could have been between White & Blofeld, they both decided to as friends to start a criminal organisation, it splintered into 2 to cover the globe but one started to fail in it's operations and become a liability (Quantum).

Blofeld then deciding to dissolve Quantum but not necessarily take out White its leader. Although White assumes this and moves to take out ESB.

When we start SP White has been exposed and his plot foiled due ESB reach and the PTS is actually Sciarra tracking White for assassination but Bond happens to be there due Dench's M's message and foils White's hit unknowingly.

We wouldn't see White but sense someone is watching the events. Start as the film does, do away with the daft CGI half destruction of Mexico. Instead Bond attempts to assassinate Sciarra misses him and his alerts him to his presence and has to pursue him through the parade leading to the helicopter moment in the film and it plays out the same up to the credit sequence.

I'm actually going to work on an alternative version of SPECTRE as this as a basis and I'll post it and I'll also make sure I tie all 4 films together with something more cohesive than scanning a ring with no need to have JB and ESB have a past either.
    Sounds a lot better than what we got.
  • Shardlake wrote: »

Although its also frustrating because with the existing material devised ironically by Purvis & Wade this all could have been so much better.

The brother element could have been between White & Blofeld, they both decided to as friends to start a criminal organisation, it splintered into 2 to cover the globe but one started to fail in it's operations and become a liability (Quantum).

Blofeld then deciding to dissolve Quantum but not necessarily take out White its leader. Although White assumes this and moves to take out ESB.

When we start SP White has been exposed and his plot foiled due ESB reach and the PTS is actually Sciarra tracking White for assassination but Bond happens to be there due Dench's M's message and foils White's hit unknowingly.

We wouldn't see White but sense someone is watching the events. Start as the film does, do away with the daft CGI half destruction of Mexico. Instead Bond attempts to assassinate Sciarra misses him and his alerts him to his presence and has to pursue him through the parade leading to the helicopter moment in the film and it plays out the same up to the credit sequence.

I'm actually going to work on an alternative version of SPECTRE as this as a basis and I'll post it and I'll also make sure I tie all 4 films together with something more cohesive than scanning a ring with no need to have JB and ESB have a past either.

I'd have liked this a lot.
    Shardlake wrote: »

Agreed, I think that Purvis and Wade will be out of a job.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Mr White is in retrospect the one great element of all four Craig movies.
    I found his scene in Spectre fantastic, the setting, the atmosphere, the dialogue, everything simply perfect.
    One of many already classic Bond scenes from SP imho.

Not sure how much of it was P+W and/or Butterworth.
    But then I don't care really.
    If the writers have proven anything, than that they finally undid a lot of wrongs of the past with SP.

Sadly in Craig's fifth (if that will become a reality) there will be no Mr White.
    I found his scene in Spectre fantastic, the setting, the atmosphere, the dialogue, everything simply perfect.

If the writers have proven anything, than that they finally undid a lot of wrongs of the past with SP.

Sadly in Craig's fifth (if that will become a reality) there will be no Mr White.

He was at his best in Skyfall, don t you think?
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb

He was at his best in Skyfall, don t you think?

Not only that he was the best part of Skyfall!
    I thought the Mr White scene was perfectly done. Ties up an existing loose end while also selling Blofeld as a real threat. Brilliantly acted and shot too. There's something, I don't know how to describe it, haunting about it? Poetic? Idk, I thought it was just cool because of how far they've come (and in Mr White's case, fallen). I don't think any of us thought while watching CR that this would be how it ended between those two.

Please do. I actually loved the film as it is but I do think your idea of a deeper White and Blofeld connection is a really interesting one. I'd love to see how it plays out.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Thanks everyone for your comments, I don't mean to beef up Mr White's time in the story. I just think the idea I have will give him more revelance, he'll be more of a presence as opposed to getting a bigger role.

It will also go some way to addressing my issue of the ESB & Bond's past.

I'm also looking at the whole 9 Eyes segment of the story and how team MI6 can figure in it but not in the field, left in London and in the office but still given something interesting to do.

I've had a think about this over the last few weeks, I've actually just returned from my holiday today, was in Italy for 11 days, Rome for 4 nights first then flew to Sardinia for 5 nights and then back to Rome for 2 more nights. Spent a few hours on our last day at Galleria Borghese, something I've been wanting to do for sometime due to being a Carravaggio fan, I wasn't disapointed.

I will post my alternative SPECTRE once it's done, it's just going to be an outline but you can tell me what you think.

I like it a lot as well.

I think doing something like this, spending more time to pit White against Oberhauser would go a long way to make SP a better film. Also, I think actually placing Bond into the main plot of the film, the Nine Eyes plot, rather than the Bloferhauser subplot, would be a way to go as well. Doing what you've described plus putting Bond in the middle of some of the terrorist attacks that are only alluded to by the film would really help the story stand on its own.
    Whites scene was brilliant but it would have been nice for him to have a scene of Oberhauser killing White in front of Madeline.
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    Whites scene was brilliant but it would have been nice for him to have a scene of Oberhauser killing White in front of Madeline.

In a subtle way we already got this. Blofeld had White's phone laced with thallium, and White offed himself knowing he wasn't going to last. When he later shows this to Swann, it's almost the same thing.

Mr. White's role could have been bigger. He didn't tie in directly to the plot, but he should have. Blofeld should have gone after Swann first to lure out White, because White had something Blofeld needs to finish Nine-Eyes.
  • Birdleson wrote: »
    I think his death scene was weakened by the replay.

I wouldn't go as far to say that but I do think the replay was very unnecessary. Like, what is the point, even? Given that SP is already so long. Is it just to give Blofeld something to do?
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Birdleson wrote: »

I wouldn't go as far to say that but I do think the replay was very unnecessary. Like, what is the point, even? Given that SP is already so long. Is it just to give Blofeld something to do?
    To taunt Madeleine.
  • jake24 wrote: »

To taunt Madeleine.

He already taunted her enough in the Kartenhoff room, I think. And then again in the torture room.
    Bonds torture was physical, Madelines was pyschological
    The whole thing with the replay of White's death was awkward and mainly meant to give Blofeld something to do that made him menacing as well as something to show Nine Eyes in action, because to that point it had mostly been a theory rather than something we'd really seen at work.

It's awkward because we, the audience, has already seen it, and we've already gotten Madeleine's rather nonchalant reaction to her father's death previously, so while one of it's endgames is obvious, it rings a bit hollow, especially when it comes across partly as a means to try to drive a wedge between Bond and Madeleine.
    jake24 wrote: »

To taunt Madeleine.

He already taunted her enough in the Kartenhoff room, I think. And then again in the torture room.

Also, it was to make her think that Bond had something to do with making her father shoot himself, no?
    I don't know for you but I think seeing your father commit suicide under your very eyes must be very troubling, to say the least. And what villain would wish to torture mentally his victims "just enough".
    Just what I was thinking.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    I don't know for you but I think seeing your father commit suicide under your very eyes must be very troubling, to say the least. And what villain would wish to torture mentally his victims "just enough".

As I recall Madeleine doesn't look at the part where her father shoots himself but looks at Bond instead.
    I actually disagree.

What is most resonant about the scene is Blofeld's philosophy in displaying it. He knows that the video will bring Bond and Madeline closer together - that's the point.

Blofeld believes the "Nine Eyes" programme to be a beautiful thing, and in order for it to be implemented something ugly needs to happen; eg, numerous terrorist attacks, etc. Blofeld believes this is the only path towards realising his goals and he has to break a couple of eggs to achieve something special. By showing the video Blofeld is attempting to articulate this theory by showing how Mr. White's suicide (something horrific) led to Bond and Madeleine meeting and falling in love (something beautiful).

It's also a nice display of the might of the "Nine Eyes" programme. Plus it gives another chance for Mendes to drop in that great "kite in a hurricane" line.
    Your not addressing my point. I said, as you pointed out, that it works on the page, but it was a failure in terms of filmmaking. That clip loses all power (to me as an audience member) by bring replayed. That scene does nothing to convince me that Bond and Swann are growing closer together.

Have to say I agree with you. Think it could've been ok if they shortened it down a bit but they replay about half the scene. I just found myself thinking 'There's about 5 minutes until White kills himself and I've already sat through this scene once.'

And as you say I don't really buy how it's supposed to bring them closer together. I always took that as literal that Bond and Madeline met because of White's death but not that it makes them fall in love.
  • edited June 2016 Posts: 4,400
    http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/jamesbond/images/f/ff/IMG_3207.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20160324151749

Here's a shot from Mr. White's wall.

Who is this in the photo? Is it a young Lea or the woman who is supposed to be Madeline's mum?