Do you find QoS & SF are actually necessary to give SP it's impact? **Minor SPOILER**

AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
in Bond Movies Posts: 1,727
In other words: could we have done without QoS and SF and just gotten the essence of 'SPECTRE' (obviously a different title and a few names changed here and there due to the rights) in 2008 or 2009...?

Didn't the end of CR imply that something like SP was coming next? The tape 007 finds would have had a little more resonance, I feel, if this had been found in the next film.

Now I'm not saying that I think EoN should have done it this way, as QoS and SF both have their merits, but I think there is a case for them being rather superfluous, in general. SP may well have remained the thrill it is without those two films nudging their way in between CR and now...

This is just for arguments sake, I'm curious as to what others' thoughts are on this.

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    The only direct benefit, I think, we get from QOS is the official introduction of Quantum. Other than that, indeed, we don't need QOS for SP. As for SF, I think that film was necessary. Not so much because of Silva, but because that's where the schism between the "old" (00-)approach and the new way of doing things was more or less kicked off. Also, I really think we needed that film to establish the MI6 crew. I like the fact that unlike in the past, when Caroline Bliss was just the next MP and Robert Brown was just the next M, this time we have genuinely different characters, something that also happened in '95 by the way. Add to that the new Q, a marvellous character to say the least, and we need to buy him as mister computer wizard. I like the evolution of Mallory as well.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    The only direct benefit, I think, we get from QOS is the official introduction of Quantum. Other than that, indeed, we don't need QOS for SP. As for SF, I think that film was necessary. Not so much because of Silva, but because that's where the schism between the "old" (00-)approach and the new way of doing things was more or less kicked off. Also, I really think we needed that film to establish the MI6 crew. I like the fact that unlike in the past, when Caroline Bliss was just the next MP and Robert Brown was just the next M, this time we have genuinely different characters, something that also happened in '95 by the way. Add to that the new Q, a marvellous character to say the least, and we need to buy him as mister computer wizard. I like the evolution of Mallory as well.

Yes I had considered the points about introducing 'the crew', so to speak. But for me, apart from Mallory/M the others could have had a quick introduction in the hypothetical 'SP'...
  • RC7RC7
    QoS is essential because it deals with the fallout of Vesper's death. Without that you lose the impact and have Bond moving on almost immediately. It adds to the sense that she was
    'the big one', to quote ESB.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    I think the 4 films as set offer a bit of everything.