For Your Eyes Only vs Octopussy & The Living Daylights

ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
in Literary 007 Posts: 1,984
Which of Fleming's short story collections is better?

For me, it's For Your Eyes Only. I enjoyed both "Octopussy" and "The Living Daylights", as well as "The Property of a Lady", but "007 in New York" was one of Fleming's weakest stories in my opinion. It's just so un-Fleming, and not in a good way.

Conversely, "Quantum of Solace" isn't typical Fleming but was still enjoyable for me. "For Your Eyes Only", "From A View To A Kill" and "Risico" are also very good short stories. "The Hildebrand Rarity" isn't as good as any of those, but it's not weak either.

Comments

• DariusDarius UK
    For me, For Your Eyes Only wins hands down, if only for the brilliant Bond-lite Somerset Maugham tribute story "Quantum of Solace". Octopussy and The Living Daylights strikes me as a posthumous "odd 'n sods" collection that Fleming may or may not have wanted published.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    Yeah, Octopussy and The Living Daylights is a rather weird assortment of short stories, as strange as its name, to be honest.

The stories in For Your Eyes Only aren't necessarily interconnected but feel connected when you read them consecutively. You definitely can't say the same when reading through Octopussy and The Living Daylights.
    FYEO
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    FYEO but isn't that really a no-brainer?
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    Well, I don't really know what people think of the short story collections here. People have rather diverse opinions here, which I think is a good thing.