My local hometown newspaper movie reviewer's choice for Best Bond!

j7wildj7wild Suspended
edited August 2011 in Bond Movies Posts: 823
From the <b>HOUSTON PRESS:</b>

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/artattack/2011/08/whos_the_best_james_bond.php?print=true

I agree with his choice!

=D>

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Wow. I wasted my time reading that just to hear a lie. I outta!

Note: JUST KIDDING ;-)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I swear to god, I did not write that article. And I didn't need to read the article to come to the same conlusion, but it was a nice surprise all the same. I was expeting the same typical Connery or Moore outcome. \:D/
    Cor ,what a fix !!
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    We all know Roger Moore is the best Bond, so this article surely has some calculation errors.
  • j7wildj7wild Suspended
    he does make a good point and it's a point I've been wondering for years on what direction the Bond films would had taken if Dalton had stayed on for another 3-4 films.

we would most likely not have Brosnan and Craig and no reboot!

I like Dalton more than I like Moore - there I said it.

Connery will always be the first Bond but after that, IMO, Dalton and Lazenby were the best!!

Brosnan gets a blue ribbon award from me for GE and TND but TWINE and DAD were very disappointing!!

Craig debut in CR is good but QoS still felt more like a Bourne light film to me than a Bond film.

Even Moore's campy, light Bond films like LALD and TMWTGG and MR were more of a Bond film than QoS ever will!
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    Even Moore's campy, light Bond films like LALD and TMWTGG and MR were more of a Bond film than QoS ever will!
    Agreed. Nice to read Dalton get some praise and TB listed as his favorite of the Connerys. And tiresome to read the usual bashing of MR and OP. Still, thanks for posting j7wild.

• j7wildj7wild Suspended
    Dalton was only 50 in 1994, I don't know why he couldn't make another couple of Bond films.

from wiki

The legal battle ended in 1993, and Dalton was expected to return as James Bond in the next Bond film, which later became GoldenEye. Despite his contract having expired, negotiations with him to renew it took place. In an interview with the Daily Mail in August 1993, Dalton indicated that Michael France was writing the screenplay for the new film, and the production was to begin in January or February 1994. When the deadline was not met, Dalton surprised everyone on 12 April 1994 with the announcement that he would not return as James Bond. At this time, he was shooting the mini-series Scarlett. The announcement for the new Bond came two months later, with Pierce Brosnan playing the role. Dalton reflected in 2007, "I was supposed to make one more but it was cancelled because MGM and the film's producers got into a lawsuit which lasted for five years. After that, I didn't want to do it any more."
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    Dalton was only 50 in 1994, I don't know why he couldn't make another couple of Bond films.

from wiki

The legal battle ended in 1993, and Dalton was expected to return as James Bond in the next Bond film, which later became GoldenEye. Despite his contract having expired, negotiations with him to renew it took place. In an interview with the Daily Mail in August 1993, Dalton indicated that Michael France was writing the screenplay for the new film, and the production was to begin in January or February 1994. When the deadline was not met, Dalton surprised everyone on 12 April 1994 with the announcement that he would not return as James Bond. At this time, he was shooting the mini-series Scarlett. The announcement for the new Bond came two months later, with Pierce Brosnan playing the role. Dalton reflected in 2007, "I was supposed to make one more but it was cancelled because MGM and the film's producers got into a lawsuit which lasted for five years. After that, I didn't want to do it any more."
    What might've been.....:-((

http://007art.free.fr/posters/st_goldalton1.jpg

http://007art.free.fr/posters/st_goldalton2.jpg

• Artemis81Artemis81 In Christmas Land
    edited August 2011 Posts: 543
    It's a shame that lawsuit had to happen. I would have like to see Dalton in more films and we wouldn't have had that gap. Then again, I probably wouldn't have gotten in the Bond series if Brosnan hadn't come in and all the publicity that surrounded Goldeneye at that time cause that's what got my attention.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited August 2011 Posts: 13,882
    In my opinion, Dalton could have stayed in the role through the 1990's up until 2000 (1987-1999). However, I can't see Dalton sticking around for more than 4 films, he might have done a 5th. That would give us a film in 1987, 1989, 1991, 1993 & 1995. 1987 to 1995 is a good run, with the next Bond debuting in 1997
  • Artemis81Artemis81 In Christmas Land
    That would give us a film in 1987, 1989, 1991, 1993 & 1995. 1987 to 1995 is a good run, with the next Bond debuting in 1997
    That would have been good. He would have finished his run at around 51 so he wouldn't have been too old for the role.

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    That would give us a film in 1987, 1989, 1991, 1993 & 1995. 1987 to 1995 is a good run, with the next Bond debuting in 1997
    That would have been good. He would have finished his run at around 51 so he wouldn't have been too old for the role.
    I too see that as Dalton has said he never would have wanted to commit 10 years or longer to the part, so five films over eight years would have been very nice.
  • j7wildj7wild Suspended
    let's say that he did come back and did 2-3 more films starting in 1995,

that would be 1995, 1997 and 1999 - in 1999, he would had been 55 which is still younger than Moore when he did AVTAK.

I think Dalton would still had been good maybe for one more making it a total of 6 films.

**closes eyes and tries to imagine Dalton in GE, TND, TWINE, and DAD**

then in 2003, Brosnan at 50 could still be Bond
    Well, that was an unexpected outcome! I was really thinking that he'd say Connery, like many people would say.
  • edited August 2011 Posts: 11,189
    I think 50 is the age when the plausibility of being Bond fades a bit. Moore could get away with it to an extent because he always looked a bit younger than he actually was (except possibly in View). Dalton by 1995 would have been pushing 50, whilst he could certainly have done one more I dnt think it would have been wise for him to keep going for much longer than that. By 2000 Dalton would have been 55 - the same age Moore was when he did OP.
    @BAIN123: I think Dalton could have made it to 55, and it would have been really neat to watch him carry through several years like his predecessor. However, I wouldn't have wanted to shove out Brosnan, because he's just too epic!
    One thing that I've thought about as I've been watching OHMSS is that I wish Dalton had accepted the offer to be Bond in 1968. As he said he was "too young", I still think he could have done it, and certainely better than Lazenby!
    Connery is the best, Moore is my favorite and Dalton was the most Fleming-esque. Craig has a chance to surpass them all, though.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Craig will always be second in my book. He's a great talent, but Connery is the undisputed title holder of Best Bond.
  • j7wildj7wild Suspended
    edited August 2011 Posts: 823
    Craig has a chance to surpass them all, though.
    I think that depends on how many more films he does.

If he does only one more..... oh well... 2 out of 3... not good!

Craig has a chance to surpass them all, though.
    I think that depends on how many more films he does.

If he does only one more..... oh well... 2 out of 3... not good!

Better than Brosnan's 1 out of 4, or Moore's...oh why bother.