Top 10 Bond Cars (Movies Only)

ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
edited November 2015 in Bond Movies Posts: 1,984
From what I can see (and search), this hasn't been done before, which is rather surprisingly.

Only major movie cars driven by Bond or with Bond as a passenger are eligible. The pool of cars includes:

The Sunbeam Alpine II from DN, the Aston Martin DB5 from all appearances, the Toyota 2000 GT from YOLT, the Aston Martin DBS and Mercury Cougar from OHMSS, the Ford Mustang Mach 1 from DAF, the AMC Hornet from TMWTGG, the Lotus Esprit S1 from TSWLM, the Citroen 2CV from FYEO, the Alfa Romeo GTV6 and Mercedes-Benz 250SE from Octopussy, the Renault 11 and Rolls Royce Silver Cloud from AVTAK, the Aston Martin V8 Vantage Volante from TLD, the BMW 750Li from TND, the BMW Z8 from TWINE, the Aston Martin Vanquish from DAD, the Aston Martin DBS from CR and QoS, and the DB10 from Spectre.

Please construct a top ten from the pool, and any reasons will be welcome.

Bonus list: Villains' cars. This will include the Mercedes Benz 250SE from Octopussy (before it was stolen), the Mercedes Benz 450 SEL from FYEO, the AMC Matador from TMWTGG, the Jaguar XKR from DAD, the Jaguar C-X75 from Spectre, the Ferrarri F355 from GE, and the Rolls Royce Phantom III from Goldfinger.

Comments

• ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    edited November 2015 Posts: 1,984
    Ah, well, let's make my list. The top 5 are pretty much the cars I'd like to own - the rest are good but I don't really want to own them.

1. Aston Martin DB5 - Could it be anything else? Easily the most famous, timeless and beautiful of the Bond cars. If anything, it was the first true Bond car, and the fact that it's appeared multiple times, even after Connery's departure from the role, speaks for its legendary status.

2. Lotus Esprit S1 - This might just be me being a TSWLM fan, but this car was involved in one of the longest and best chases in the franchise, and for that alone, it deserves a place in the top ten. What made me put it higher is just the fact that it had the most awesome gadgetization of any Bond car - the whole turning into submarine effect and the chase that followed was just sublime, and awesome. I also actually like the wedge-shaped front and appreciate the fact that it's clearly a time capsule of the late 70's.

3. Aston Martin Vanquish - Kill me for it, but I love the Vanquish. The cloaking device is stupid (which is why it gets docked a few points for that), but the rest of the gadgets weren't that overwhelming and were believable in the car. And the car chase it featured in still had that "awesome" factor - I reckon it owes that to the fact that the cars involved were just brilliant - this one included. It looks good, sounds good (name and engine noise), drives good and is just a true Aston Martin.

4. Aston Martin DB10 - A shame it won't be released for public sales, because it's basically the Lotus of the Aston Martin's in design. It's smaller and built flatter/lower to the ground, just like the Lotus, but it's still relatively powerful, and the design means that it's fast and agile. I adore the design and the lights at nighttime, and the flamethrower reference to Dr No adds points.

5. Aston Martin DBS (CR/QoS) - It's a shame this car was so badly devastated in both of its appearances, but it looks good, sounds good, and drives good - just like the Vanquish. It's really a car that you'd want to own.

6. Aston Martin V8 Vantage Volante - It doesn't look quite as good as some of the other Aston Martin's, but it's got some of the most unique and interesting gadgets in the series, and it was featured in a great car chase too.

7. BMW 750Li - The only BMW in the series I genuinely liked. I'm not a fan of its design (especially compared to more modern BMW's), but the whole remote control thing and the various gadgets (which seemed to be a mix of past ones and a few new ones) were really innovative and again had that "awesome" factor. The car chase in the parking lot was also very entertaining. Unfortunately I don't like the design and the remote control effect was overused in later Brosnan cars, which diminishes the value of this one, but I still like its depiction in TND.

8. Citroen 2CV - Literally here just for being different - the first time Bond had to drive some old, run-down civilian vehicle that was pitifully slow in comparison to most cars of even its time (let alone now), but the car chase was genuinely entertaining and the fact that Bond was driving a "crap car" for once instead of a luxurious, gadgetized Q-branch product, and still winning the chase, is a plus. There's also just this likability factor to this car, and I can't quite put my finger on why.

9. Aston Martin DBS (OHMSS) - This one didn't really do much and got overshadowed by the Mercury Cougar in terms of action, but I think this deserves to be on the list just for the amazing final scene of the film. The fact that it doesn't really do anything in the film is why it can't be higher up, though.

10. Toyota 2000 GT - It's nice in most aspects, but I've just never liked it as much as some others. The design is a bit strange (probably because it was never meant to be a convertible), and it wasn't really featured in some big chase. Still, I like its looks and it was the first Bond car that wasn't actually driven by Bond.

Honorable mentions:

The Mercedes Benz 250SE - It's not given much screen time or anything, but this is the first car Bond steals from the villain and immediately brings it out on a dangerous joyride. I love how he just steals it from General Orlov and then takes it into a tremendously intense (but short) car chase where it gets absolutely wrecked. Not only does Bond escape and get to his next objective in style, but he also gives Orlov the finger in doing so. Truly killing two birds with one stone.

The Renault 11 - Just for the sheer hilarity of the car chase in AVTAK.

Ford Mustang Mach 1 & Mercury Cougar (Tie) - Both look pretty similar and were both involved in great car chases/stuntwork, but they just never had the design appeal to me.

Dishonorable mentions: The BMW Z8, which did hardly anything in the movie before getting sawn in half, and the Z3, which I didn't even bother to list in the car pool because it was so disappointingly useless in the movie. I mean, even if it's product placement like the Lotus Esprit Turbo, at least make it do something.