SPECTRE - Press reviews and personal reviews (BEWARE! Spoiler reviews allowed)

Comments

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    mepal1 wrote: »
    I must of missed something when i saw the film.............coz after Swann got kidnapped at the clinic at the top of the mountain................and then we saw Bond also leave the clinic........and then somehow we next see him in a plane chasing the baddies.........BUT where did he get the plane from............coz i dont remember seeing an airfield at the top of the mountain............please enlighten me..........thanks

Yeah you clearly missed the establishing shots of Bond flying over the clinic before landing on a runway at the top of the mountain. I suggest having a piss before you go into the cinema in future so you little details like this dont slip you by!
    mepal1 wrote: »
    I must of missed something when i saw the film.............coz after Swann got kidnapped at the clinic at the top of the mountain................and then we saw Bond also leave the clinic........and then somehow we next see him in a plane chasing the baddies.........BUT where did he get the plane from............coz i dont remember seeing an airfield at the top of the mountain............please enlighten me..........thanks

Yeah you clearly missed the establishing shots of Bond flying over the clinic before landing on a runway at the top of the mountain. I suggest having a piss before you go into the cinema in future so you little details like this dont slip you by!

Thanks.......the thing is, usually on initial viewing of a film, one does miss a few observations.

I enjoyed the film.............and will go to see the film again

Know what you mean about the titles but since when have Bond titles NOT been wacko.

Waltz is really good - quietly menacing even when he's face to the floor with bits of helicopter stuck in his leg and Bond holding a gun to his face. Cuckoo...

Top Gear would've let you hear the noise of the engines/exhaust more
    I personally don't think Hinx will return in a future movie. Not only because it would be so unrealistic to have him survive but also because it set up potential returns for Waltz and Seydoux so having Hinx back too would make any new film feel like SPECTE Part 2.

Excited to see the film again to see how I feel second time round. I'm a bit non-committal at the minute in terms of giving it too much praise and want to see it again to make sure I'm certain on my views.
  • quantumofsolacequantumofsolace England
    I loved it. Did I love it as much as SF? Not quite. I think SF is more engaging due it being more emotionally involving. I'd say SP is better paced than SF in spite of it's length. And I'm really pleased that contrary to how the trailers portray the film there isn't an overdose of action. It's spread evenly throughout the two and a half hours with loads of meaty drama in between. The only scene that doesn't work, IMO, is the car chase. It feels completely perfunctory, as though Aston Martin offered the producers the DB10 and they suddenly thought, "Ooh, we've got to showcase this new motor for maximum publicity. Now where can we shoehorn in a completely unnecessary car chase?" I think the fact that Bond spends half the chase nattering on the phone to Moneypenny speaks volumes about how by-the-numbers it is. If he's not overly concerned with getting away from Hinx then why should we be? And to make matters worse the inclusion of silly gadgets and half-hearted humour steers things in an unwelcome direction. As for the ejector seat/parachute denouement - that was perilously close to Roger Moore territory.
    Apart from that the rest of the film is pretty damn terrific, highlights including Bond's encounter with Mr. White, the train sequence and any scenes featuring the wonderful Mr. Waltz. A shiver of delight ran through me at the sight of the white Persian cat and I was thrilled by the Blofeld reveal. It was decidedly low key - but unless you're a die-hard Bond fan or of a certain age the name won't mean a great deal to you. The climax with Bond sparing Blofeld was a little unsatisfying - but I think we all figured that if Bond's arch nemesis was re-introduced (and hats off to everyone involved in the film for keeping the secret) in SP then it was highly unlikely that he'd bite the dust at the end. Surely he'll be back for 'Bond 25' in full-on scarred, moggie-stroking, megalomaniac mode.
    Lea Seydoux is excellent in her role as a three dimensional flesh and blood heroine, the fractious relationship between Swann and Bond being completely believable and very engaging. Jesper Christensen is superb once again as Mr. White (for sadly the last time... for obvious reasons!) and Ralph Fiennes, Ben Wishaw, Naomie Harris and Rory Kinnear are marvelous in their respective returning roles. Dave Bautista makes a credibly lethal henchman and when he's getting the better of Bond in the train punch-up you briefly feel that 007's number is up!
    Where SP comes a bit of a cropper is in the music department. Leaving aside the risible title song, Thomas Newman's score simply isn't up to the mark. His lazy re-use of music from SF is baffling (couldn't he think of anything new? Didn't he have enough time? Did he think his themes were so wonderful that they warranted another airing?) and once again we see, or rather hear, that he just can't write action music. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Newman. He's a fine composer - but his forte is intimate dramas. I think it's a fair assumption that if he hadn't been brought on board as part of a package deal with Sam Mendes (and respect to Sam for standing by his man) he would surely never have been considered as a potential Bond scorer. Unfortunately (and sadly this is true of most contemporary composers) his idea of scoring action sequences is to make as much racket as possible, presumably in the hope that if it's fast enough and loud enough nobody will notice the lack of a discernible melody. As with SF, however, his gentler, more emotional music is really rather good. Anyway, like it's predecessor it will doubtless grow on me as I watch the film over and over again.
    Cinematography and production design are excellent and Sam Mendes' assured direction of the handsomely mounted, globe-trotting extravaganza leaves one hoping that he'll change his mind about calling it a day after this film.
    The star of the show, in more ways than one, though, is the mighty Daniel Craig. I'd say this is arguably his finest performance yet. He has certainly never appeared so confident and relaxed in the role that now fits him as perfectly as his impeccably tailored Tom Ford suits. He simply MUST return in 'Bond 25' to face off against Ernst.
    Yes, SP has it's flaws. Even after a single viewing the plot holes are beginning to gape. (Bet I wasn't the only one scratching his head last night and thinking, "Where exactly did he get that plane from? Did Q give him a pocket-sized inflatable aircraft?". And how come James and Madeleine have an endless change of outfits as they whiz from one country to another without, from what I could see, any sign of a single suitcase between them?)
    Overall though, from the eye-popping pre-credits sequence (following the joyous return of the gunbarrel to it's proper place!) to the DB5 drive into the sunset (metaphorically speaking) I rate SP as a more than worthy addition to the Craig era reinvention of our beloved hero. As the end credits drew to a close I couldn't help smiling at the sight of the magic words, "James Bond will return". Just so long as Daniel Craig returns too, I thought.
    Can't wait to see SP again. And again. And again...

andmcit wrote: »
    Know what you mean about the titles but since when have Bond titles NOT been wacko.

Waltz is really good - quietly menacing even when he's face to the floor with bits of helicopter stuck in his leg and Bond holding a gun to his face. Cuckoo...

Top Gear would've let you hear the noise of the engines/exhaust more

I thought that too............would of been better to of not had a music score during the car chase in Rome........and instead let us listen to those glorious engines.
    Anyway....it wasn't so much a car chase, as really it was basically two supercars following each other at night along some deserted Rome streets.
    A very disapointing action sequence!

BAIN123 wrote: »
    The climax was also a little too silly for me. Lucky Craig manages to hit the helicopter from a relatively far distance with a small handgun.

looks like the climax of another film.
    Die Hard with a Vengeance
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 4,599
    Before going into the minutiae, I think its best to consider an overall "gut feeling" when the end titles roll and the cinema lights come on. Visually stunning with some great performances but I just felt a little empty. It lacked an emotional core IMHO. The three main characters lacked the required interaction and development between each other, leading to an anti-climax at the end with no real "pay off". SP seemed to be one big set piece followed by another and each one performed well (although the car chase needs its own thread?) but a good movie needs to be more than that IMHO. The narrative just didn't connect. Some of you guys may understand what I am getting at and others may have no idea of what I am talking about. Such a shame as it could be a long time before we have such a great team in terms of director and actors. Three out of five
    Saw 'SP' last night. It's a decent enough film but it left me a tad disappointed probably because of the ending. It would have been more suitable if Blofeld had not visited these shores leaving Bond to fight it out with Denbigh. Also having helicopter-related action in both PTS and in the final battle did not feel right. I thought that the plot was weak, it was done better in 'SF'.

Christoph Waltz was fine as the villian of the piece. I was half expecting him to turn up in Marvel style post end credits plotting his escape!

Hinx will return in the next film's PTS wearing a neck brace.

'SP' referenced every Bond film from 'Dr No' to 'Live And Let Die'. l didn't see one for 'The Man With The Golden Gun'.

I'll give 'SP' a generous 7/10.

• TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Lazzers wrote: »
    Saw 'SP' last night. It's a decent enough film but it left me a tad disappointed probably because of the ending. It would have been more suitable if Blofeld had not visited these shores leaving Bond to fight it out with Denbigh. Also having helicopter-related action in both PTS and in the final battle did not feel right. I thought that the plot was weak, it was done better in 'SF'.

Christoph Waltz was fine as the villian of the piece. I was half expecting him to turn up in Marvel style post end credits plotting his escape!

Hinx will return in the next film's PTS wearing a neck brace.

'SP' referenced every Bond film from 'Dr No' to 'Live And Let Die'. l didn't see one for 'The Man With The Golden Gun'.

I'll give 'SP' a generous 7/10.

Not the firing at phony Oberhauser behind the bulletproof glass?
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 1,661
    "Where exactly did he get that plane from? Did Q give him a pocket-sized inflatable aircraft?".

LOL! Great comment. =))
    Can't you see there's a perfectly adequate runway? It's here:

runway.jpg

The Big hangar with all planes in is admittedly a bit obscured by the clinic itself mind.
    There's a big escalator brings you up from the terminus building right up to the front door. It's always the most obvious things nobody thinks about! ;)
    Sh!t - do you think I may need to put this in spoiler tags? :-?
    That's weird. I think the rome sequence and the car chase are the best moments of the movie. The rest is by the numbers. Blofeld motivations are stupid Austin Powers territory, the guy plans on ruining Bond life because he looks better than him and get the girls and was the father prefered son. All that was missing was a raised small finger. Waltz clearly phones it in. Bond is never wounded and as no sequels from the torture scene. The film collapses past the first hour. It's still solid, but the finale that borrows from the DK "save the girl or yourself, you chose" is blah, as is Bond not killing the bad guy. I wish the guy from Sherlock Holmes was actually Blofeld, not Waltz.
    Can't you see there's a perfectly adequate runway? It's here:
    Hahahah

runway.jpg

The Big hangar with all planes in is admittedly a bit obscured by the clinic itself mind.
    There's a big escalator brings you up from the terminus building right up to the front door. It's always the most obvious things nobody thinks about! ;)

• mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas

Stamper wrote: »
    That's weird. I think the rome sequence and the car chase are the best moments of the movie. The rest is by the numbers. Blofeld motivations are stupid Austin Powers territory, the guy plans on ruining Bond life because he looks better than him and get the girls and was the father prefered son. All that was missing was a raised small finger. Waltz clearly phones it in. Bond is never wounded and as no sequels from the torture scene. The film collapses past the first hour. It's still solid, but the finale that borrows from the DK "save the girl or yourself, you chose" is blah, as is Bond not killing the bad guy. I wish the guy from Sherlock Holmes was actually Blofeld, not Waltz.

Maybe that's why you didn't like it. And ugh no no Scott plays a weasel not a proper leader.

• SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    edited October 2015 Posts: 2,138
    The South Africans weren't playing ball and got a terrorist attack on Cape Town. References to x2 other terrorist atrocities in the Eyes Wide Shut meeting but not Ll in your face and background if not incidental

Also Bond foils plans to blow up the football stadium in Mexico.
  • Anyone know why the building blew up in the pts? He was just shooting standard bullets?
  • DariusDarius UK
    timmyv123 wrote: »
    Anyone know why the building blew up in the pts? He was just shooting standard bullets?

My theory is that Bond inadvertently triggered an explosive device in the room.

yes, thats correct
    Darius wrote: »
    timmyv123 wrote: »
    Anyone know why the building blew up in the pts? He was just shooting standard bullets?

My theory is that Bond inadvertently triggered an explosive device in the room.

Yeah, he shoots the bomb they're going to use to destroy the stadium.

• edited October 2015 Posts: 372
    I'm looking for the december draft if anyone has a link, PM me. Thanks in advance :)
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 199
    I agree with a lot of the comments here, it is very much a by the numbers action movie, which has Purvis & Wade written all over it. It's a good movie, but not a great one. It's not in the same category as Skyfall but it's not as bad as Quantum Of Solace. It was closer in spirit to the World Is Not Enough in that it was serviceable but not very memorable, almost workman like in some places. The opening sequence in Mexico is the highlight of the film, the rest of the movie never really comes alive somehow. It will be interesting to see how it performs at the box-office. It's got some very good reviews, but I wonder what the word-of-mouth will be like? I would recommend it, but reservedly. It's really a leave your brain (and heart) in the foyer movie (there's nothing complex about the plot and there is nothing to tug at your heart-strings), which is why, to me, it's a disappointment. 6/10.
    agree 100%
    I didn't see the credits right to the end, did we have the usual 'James Bond will Return'?
  • tigers99 wrote: »
    I didn't see the credits right to the end, did we have the usual 'James Bond will Return'?

Yup.

jamesyreid wrote: »
    tigers99 wrote: »

Yup.

Great. I find it odd how people file out of the cinema whilst the credits roll, I like to enjoy listening to the music over end titles. Am I the only one?
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 4,599
    Anyone here with 12 year old kids? Its right on the margin IMHO, a handful of 12/13 kids in Imax yesterday. Perhaps I am old fashioned and out of step but I perhaps would have made it a 15
    patb wrote: »
    Anyone here with 12 year old kids? Its right on the margin IMHO, a handful of 12/13 kids in Imax yesterday. Perhaps I am old fashioned and out of step but I perhaps would have made it a 15

Yeah I agree, more towards 15 for me. The violence and language. I felt CR should have been a 15, which it is now after been re-certified for home release.

I know many of you guys dont care about how the outside World is receiving SP but the forum on the Guardian makes interesting reading IMHO:
    http://www.theguardian.com/film/filmblog/2015/oct/27/spectre-james-bond-villains-women-ending-sam-mendes