SPECTRE - Press reviews and personal reviews (BEWARE! Spoiler reviews allowed)

Comments

This is big. A very good review from Variety. http://variety.com/2015/film/reviews/spectre-review-1201622685/
    Lodge is typically a very sensible chap - happy that he likes it.
  • http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/spectre-film-review-833833

a big mixed. but i would say still quite positive. seems like Skyfall for a lot of critcs is a hard act to follow. they like the Kleinman credits.
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    I'm not sure what to make of all this "not as good as Skyfall" stuff, especially since I consider Skyfall to be largely overrated.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    smitty wrote: »
    This is big. A very good review from Variety. http://variety.com/2015/film/reviews/spectre-review-1201622685/

Yes was glad to read that.

• edited October 2015 Posts: 1,021
    http://www.screendaily.com/reviews/spectre-review/5095793.article?blocktitle=REVIEWS&contentID=40296

mixed. loads of potential spoilers. one thing all reviews so far are agreeing on is that the film is stunning visually. art direction and cinematography get high praise in this review.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited October 2015 Posts: 4,116
    http://www.screendaily.com/reviews/spectre-review/5095793.article?blocktitle=REVIEWS&contentID=40296

mixed. loads of potential spoilers. one thing all reviews so far are agreeing on is that the film is stunning visually. art direction and cinematography get high praise in this review.

Not out right negative though. Harps that Craig is too serious. Huh? Most everyone else said opposite.

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I find the Variety review not that good. Lodge criticises running time, Waltz's performance and plot.
    He praises the technical things though.
    It's clear that we will probably see the enormous amount of money spent on screen which is a good thing!
  • mcdonbb wrote: »

Not out right negative though. Harps that Craig is too serious. Huh? Most everyone else said opposite.

I think the review is more positive. Sounds like most reviewers had a good time even if there were elements that they didn't enjoy. Was expecting more reviewers to praise the acting considering the talent involved.

• edited October 2015 Posts: 267
    I'm not sure what to make of all this "not as good as Skyfall" stuff, especially since I consider Skyfall to be largely overrated.

Same here. I like SF fine, but I feel as though QoS is better than its reputation and SF not quite the film that most seem to think it is. I'm very happy to have a film that stands on its own and isn't just a rehash of the film we saw in 2012.

7.4 out of 10 on Rotten Tomatoes. Hmmm....not that good...I'm getting worried.
    I want Spectre to be another OHMSS.
    I think I will stop reading reviews, makes me more nervous than it should :-S
    Now 94% on RT. Everybody I know checks RT to see if it's worth spending big bucks for 2 or more tickets on opening films, particularly for IMAX. So this initial high rating is important for the US BO, as it lets SP blast off with what looks like a strong critical reception. We're gonna pick it apart on this site, but the general public just wants to see the score, and may check out the reviews of a few of the familiar names.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 1,021
    now at 93% on rotten tomatoes...after 16 reviews. i think the reaction is going to be mostly positive. BOTH the Variety review and the Screendaily review are rated fresh.
    The percentage is somehow stupid. It says 7.4 out of 10 besides it which is a contradiction really.
  • MansfieldMansfield Where the hell have you been?
    edited October 2015 Posts: 1,263
    You'll get your wish then. On Her Majesty's Secret Service only has these metrics:

82% Fresh | 6.8/10 Average

In fact, I believe only From Russia With Love, Goldfinger, and Skyfall have 8/10+ ratings. In other words, you can't count on anyone else's opinion for your own.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 1,215
    The percentage is somehow stupid. It says 7.4 out of 10 besides it which is a contradiction really.

93% of the reviews are positive with a 7.4 average rating. That's how RT works.

Also, positive review from Indiewirehttp://blogs.indiewire.com/thompsononhollywood/review-the-zen-perfection-of-spectre-nostalgic-feast-for-bond-fans-video-20151021

I'm always more interested in the critical reviews on RT. The audience reviews are mostly shit. And they are always lower than the critics reviews on RT. You know why? They usually consist of slightly more negative whiners, and tend not to write in a more objective, journalist-sound fashion :-)
  • MansfieldMansfield Where the hell have you been?
    @Gustav_Graves

That is the critic score.

I'm the same. QOS was better than the critics rated whereas SF seemed rather overrated.

I don't want to seem in denial about the prospect of SP being a bad film but let's face it some of the criticisms we're seeing tonight could be levelled at most Bond films - including SF!
  • It still amazes me how the Bond team manage to get a film out from start of production to release in less than a year. These are mostly positive reviews. i think us Bond fans are going to love every second of this film.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports

OHMSS isn't close to being the best Bond film. It even has the worst Bond actor.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 725
    I find the Variety review not that good. Lodge criticises running time, Waltz's performance and plot.

He praises the technical things though.
    It's clear that we will probably see the enormous amount of money spent on screen which is a good thing!

Major reviewers always have something mixed or negative to say in a positive review, even a rave review. No film is ever perfect, particularly an action film in a 24 film long franchise. Otherwise they sound like fanboys. Serious critics do not want to sound like fanboys.

A few posters on the site are looking for negative comments. I'm looking at the overall review and the potential pull quotes for advertising for when SP opens all around the world. I was very concerned with their ability to pull off another major success, but it's looking like they did it. I just hope they stay over 90% on RT.
    Mansfield wrote: »
    You'll get your wish then. On Her Majesty's Secret Service only has these metrics:

82% Fresh | 6.8/10 Average

In fact, I believe only From Russia With Love, Goldfinger, and Skyfall have 8/10+ ratings. In other words, you can't count on anyone else's opinion for your own.

Well, true, in my opinion OHMSS should have a 9,5 out of 10 on RT :)) so I'll judge the movie on my own of course :D
    I predict it will be Top 10 material and give Daniel a second spot in my Top 10!
  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    Let's aim higher than ohmss. Please
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 11,119
    Mansfield wrote: »
    @Gustav_Graves

That is the critic score.

@BondJasonBond006 is confusing things. Both MetaCritic and RT have a Critics-meter (newspapers, movie magazines, etc) and an Audience-meter (non-professional writers, fans, public).

On RT the reviews come in much faster, hence 94% Critics-meter. MetaCritic is slightly slower with updating. Hence only 5 reviews counted so far in the Critics-meter = 74%.

So be patient.
  • tqbtqb
    I want to hear about the music
    Well OHMSS is in my Top 3, live with it :))

7.4 is the critics score on RT @Gustav_Graves
    I understand now how it works there.

I'm looking forward to the German and Swiss newspapers tomorrow, they will have reviews as well :)
  • Looking forward to hearing the what the flick team review SPECTRE.
    Here is a link to their SKYFALL review which they all loved...

People not familiar with MetaCritic should know that it almost always has ratings that are considerably lower than RT unless it is an indie/art house type of film. Like the Martian is around 93% on RT, and is 81% on MC. It also has a much smaller universe of critics.