Macgyver 2016 (9/23 premier date)

edited June 2016 in General Movies & TV Posts: 9,770
http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/macgyver-reboot-series-coming-to-cbs-38321/

Ok let's talk about this a few key points I want to make

1. I don't want to get too excited about this as I have been burned so many times by potential Macgyver reboots that it's kind of sad honestly.
2. The blurb about a 20 something Angus Macgyver joining a clandestine organization that puts his skills to use sounds well awesome I am getting a Carte Blanche feel from this and I mean it in a good way (sure the book was crap but the idea of Bond in a dark organization known as the 00 branch Come on I can't be the only one who made the mouth water with this idea)
3. Getting the writer of a hugely successful show (NCIS:la) might mean this will get picked up (remember this is t the first time this was tried and while Macgyver 2003 wasn't horrible it wasn't great either)

With that said not only do I want to share this bit of news but I also want to share some general thoughts in terms of cast and where I would hope the show would go.

Angus Macgyver: Nolan Gerald Funk.. Yeah I know weird stage name but the guy impressed me as Brother Eye in last season of Arrow he has a youthful yet worldly look that Richard Dean Anderson had and I think he could pull off Macgyver nicely. I feel character wise he should be the same as what we had in the 80's but a bit brasher and honestly (though people on the Macgyver forums are already complaining about this) let Macgyver enjoy his women (in the 80's women demanded Mac be single so they could fantasize about him not kidding look it up) today I don't think we have to worry about it so like Arrow let him have one or two hookups per season. The character should still never use a gun period and should be a jack of all trades, he should still love hockey drink alcohol occasionally (first few seasons the man did have a glass of whine or two) and just essentially be a younger gritted version of the character from the 80's use Bourne and Bond as inspiration but not as a rule book.

Peter Thorton: Michael Chikles... Yes the guy from the original fantasic 4 films and the shield the guy has presence looks a lot like Dana Elcar and could pull of the tough but kind personality that is Peter Thorton. As a character he should have a slightly troubled and dare I say it mysterious past but should be pretty similar to the Pete we know and love however since Mac is younger and brasher he should be tougher on Macgyver.

I don't want to get too far into casting as again it's reboot I personally think the first two season Macgyver should work for DXS department of external services and make it a quiet branch of Homeland Security if need be I feel the move of the Phonex Foundation should be done but should be done on screen (it was done off screen in the original series) I feel H.I.T should be introduced but I don't feel Murdoc should come in till season two and honestly since Michael Des Barres has publicly declared he wants to do it I say let him and Let Murdoc be the head of H.I.T. From a first season point of view much like Arrow and Hawaii 5-0 you need a show by show story and a season long mystery to bring people in personally episode story wise be topical but apolitical (so all countries are fair game but if you for example have an Islamic terrorist make sure you have a Muslim good guy as well) for the first season mystery I really would have it be a chess board battle between DXS and HIT with macgyver trying not to learn more about an organization no one knows about or has even heard of (with the first episode ending with perhaps Murdoc saying "so you really think you can beat me in this game Macgyver" or something like that) much like the original show Macgyver uses his skills and ingenuity to get out of situation and the writers shouldn't worry if they reuse a macgyverism from the first show. Thought with all the new technology out there I am sure there are some neat things Macgyver can do. I wouldn't mind the sort of inner monologue from the first few seasons as heck even arrow did I to for the few epsiodes but if they want that gone I am fine with it to.

So that is about everything what do you think?

Comments