Rate the Spy Scores of 2015

As we all know 2015 has already been labeled "The Year Of The Spy". With it, also a lot of music scores attached to these spy films are being released. In the several individual movie topics the scores have already been discussed, but those topics become a bit messy, as we keep comparing and cross-referencing scores in one of these topics.

So let's organize things a bit. Let's rank the "Spy Scores" of 2015 ;-).

--> "TAKEN 3", composed and conducted by Nathaniel Mechaly:

--> "KINGSMAN: THE SECRET SERVICE", composed and conducted by Henry Jackman (& Matthew Margeson):

--> "THE GUNMAN", composed and conducted by Marco Beltrami:

--> "SPY", composed and conducted by Theodore Shapiro:

--> "MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE 5 - ROGUE NATION", composed and conducted by Joe Kraemer:

--> "THE MAN FROM U.N.C.L.E.", composed and conducted by Daniel Pemberton:

Six beautiful scores, to be ranked in TOP 6 order ;-). Please let me know which of these has been the best so far ;-). Also, let's discuss which of these composers should be fully scouted by EON Productions for appearance in a future Bond film....IF Thomas Newman decides to quit. And which one has the best potential to be nominated for an Oscar?

Comments

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    1st place: UNCLE by a mile and Pemberton must do a Bond score.

2nd place: Kingsman, the soundtrack fits the action perfectly

3rd place: M:I RN, as usual bloody brilliant

4th place: Taken3, nothing special

5th place: Spy, suits the movie, nothing special

Haven't seen The Gunman yet and most certainly never will. I "hate" Penn, he is just wrong in anything.
    Beltrami on the other hand has made many great scores!
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2015 Posts: 23,883
    1. Kingsman (Jackman) - just incredible & a revelation. 1st choice for Bond (based on this & Winter Soldier) imho

2. MI RN (Kraemer) - fits the scenes in the film like a glove and that's why it scores higher than UNCLE for me

3. UNCLE (Pemberton) - very good score and the most inventive of 2015. Great potential here but it's overproduced and overdone in the film - the score chews the scenery as it were, and that's why it scores lower for me

4. Gunman (Beltrami) - I enjoyed it and it fit the action. Underrated and much better than the film

5. SPY (Shapiro) - I can't remember much about it, but it wasn't offensive or anything. Scores lower for including Iggy on the soundtrack

6. Taken 3 (Mechaly) - too generic
    I really find it difficult to choose between "UNCLE" and "Kingsman" for the no#1 spot. Like Thomas Newman's "Skyfall" in 2012, also these 'spy scores' are groundbreaking in their own ways. Pemberton uses typical retro 1960's instrumentation and joyfully packs it into skillful memorable melodies that really evoke Barry at times (Harry Palmer). But so does Jackman for "Kingsman", which has a slight FRWL-feeling to it, but uses strings in a slightly darker way, combined with some really good use of electronic beats (The Valentine sub theme).

But both soundtracks stand out for its memorable arrangements, its clearly recognizable melodies....that everyone can whistle or hum.

My TOP 6:

#01. "THE MAN FROM U.N.C.L.E." by Daniel Pemberton (Oscar nomination "Best Original Score"?)
    #02. "KINGSMAN: THE SECRET SERVICE" by Henry Jackman
    #03. "MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE 5 - ROGUE NATION" by Joe Kraemer
    #04. "THE GUNMAN" by Marco Beltrami
    #05. "SPY" by Theodore Shapiro (could be nominated for an Oscar for "Best Original Song")
    #06. "TAKEN 3" by Nathaniel Mechaly
    Anyone?
  • Did anyone listen to all the spy music already ;-)?
    I do hope UNCLE get's an Oscar nod. Now I'm really curious as to what Newman is going to do for 007.
  • delfloria wrote: »
    I do hope UNCLE get's an Oscar nod. Now I'm really curious as to what Newman is going to do for 007.

I really think it's possible @Defloria. I wouldn't be surprised if Daniel Pemberton gets shortlisted for the TOP 10 of "Best Original Score" anyway. Let's hope it gets into the elite list of 5 Academy Award Nominees.

• anyone else?