Thunderball question

ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
in Literary 007 Posts: 757
I purchased a hard back of Thunderball recently with a publication date of 1961, but does not have the credit on the inside that it's based on a screen treatment by Jack whittingham and Kevin McClory and Fleming. Is this rare? What's up with it?

Comments

• edited July 2015 Posts: 2,895
    Probably not rare. The resolution of the court case occurred after a couple years after1961, and not until the end of the case was the novel was obliged to have credit for Whittingham and Kevin McClory. And even afterward publishers were often slow or negligent about including that.
  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    Yeah, I've got other copies that have the disclaimer on there. When I didn't see it on this one, it caught my attention
  • I purchased a hard back of Thunderball recently with a publication date of 1961, but does not have the credit on the inside that it's based on a screen treatment by Jack whittingham and Kevin McClory and Fleming. Is this rare? What's up with it?

@ThomasCrown76, who is the publisher?
    If it's a JC UK edition with the Chopping cover art it will be certainly worth something. American editions aren't generally worth anything.

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited August 2015 Posts: 17,804
    The reason for this is that, as @Revelator says above, the Thunderball plagiarism case wasn't heard until 1963 at the Chancery Division of the High Court in England and then an out-of-court settlement was agreed. This was some two years after the 1961 publication date of Thunderball, hence why there is no mention of the credit for Jack Whittingham and Kevin McClory as co-authors (along with Fleming) of the screen treatment that the novel was based on.

I hope that helps, @ThomasCrown76! :)