Which was 007's most/least important mission from the start?

2»

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    0013 wrote:
    Important for whom?

Most important for MI6
    FRWL, SF

Most important for the mankind
    TB, MR

Most important for himself
    LTK, QOS

Logically, the least importants are each movie in relation to the other categories (vg. FRWL is least important for the mankind.)

Good way of looking at it. I would put Skyfall with the personal missions as well as the most important for MI6, considering the fight gets personal and we delve into Bond's past.
  • CIACIA
    Great idea for a thread

If Bond had failed...

MR = Destruction of the human race!
    TB = SPECTRE being paid $100 million ransom, getting stronger, possession of 2 nukes
    GF = Nuclear explosion in Fort Knox, killing thousands, destabilizing world gold supply
    GE = Alec Trevelyan steals from the Bank of England, destabilizing world economy
    YOLT = Increase in tensions in the Cold War, with a small possibly leading to nuclear annihilation
    AVTAK = Nuclear explosion and destruction of Silicon Valley, Zorin has monopoly

OHMSS should also be high on this list. Although the plot was ridiculous, MR was Bond's most important mission.

• echoecho 007 in New York
    edited February 2013 Posts: 5,979
    All of the global destruction plots--DN, GF, TB, YOLT, OHMSS, DAF, TSWLM, MR, OP, GE, TND, TWINE, DAD--are important.

FRWL is important to SPECTRE. It's a revenge plot from the villain's perspective.

FYEO was important: "Our own submarines could be ordered to attack our own cities."

TLD seems of lesser importance in the grand scheme of things, as does LTK.

Not sure if it's the weakest, but LALD is the most random. I'm still not sure why MI6 was involved in the first place.
  • The Mission is always different. And always the same. Complete the mission, save the Pretty Girl, please the audience, make a profit. Just like real life. Bond only Bond. B-)
  • CIACIA
    I like LALD but they butchered the adaptation from the book. Wasn't Mr. Big financing SPECTRE SMERSH in the book? MI6 got involved because rare British gold coins were turning up in New York due to Mr. Big's smuggling operation in the Caribbean.

In the movie, Bond was sent to investigate the deaths of 3 British agents in a short period of time.

• edited February 2013 Posts: 1,817
    0013 wrote:
    Important for whom?

Most important for MI6
    FRWL, SF

Most important for the mankind
    TB, MR

Most important for himself
    LTK, QOS

Logically, the least importants are each movie in relation to the other categories (vg. FRWL is least important for the mankind.)

Good way of looking at it. I would put Skyfall with the personal missions as well as the most important for MI6, considering the fight gets personal and we delve into Bond's past.

For me it's strictly business. First the mission is the list, then it is to find Patrice (avenging Ronson is just incidental) and the protect his boss. Of course the ramifications are personal but sustain my consideration of SF as important for MI6.
    Losing the list right from the opening PTS of SF is a BIG problem for MI6,not just for them but considering,as M says during the film,the other allied secret services dont know it even exists,so this would seriously damage MI6's reputation in the 'community',maybe even irrepairably.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    1. MR-going into space to stop a bunch of orchids from wiping out humanity was a pretty big deal
    2. TB-Despite Florida's recent problems, the US needs Florida's genitalia shaped land mass to make fun of.
    3. TSWLM-Not sure how mankind could have been recreated underwater, but glad we didn't find out
    4. OP-The Commies were starting to cooperate. No need to wipe out parts of West Germany.
    5. YOLT-Darn Blofeld trying to start a US-Soviet war
    6. DAD-If the graphics from dicing up Korea would have been less cheesy.
    7. AVTAK-Zorin was very bad for wanting to flood Silicon Valley, and for forcing us to cheer for May Day.
    8. GE - No one wanted to see London sent back to medieval times.
    9. GF - Fort Knox's gold would still be worthless today.
    10. FRWL - We really needed that first SPECTRE battle.
    11. OHMSS - Those poor girls and their psychedelic brainwashing.
    12. FYEO - That ATAC would have not fared well falling into the wrong hands.
    13. DN - The US could have always launched rockets elsewhere.
    14. TWINE - Admit it, you would have missed Turkey.
    15. SF - Perhaps if the exposed agents started dressing as clowns.
    16. TLD - There would have been another source of opium to get in the country.
    17. LALD - Only three agents. SF easily shattered that record.
    18. DAF - Too silly to think that annihilating humanity would have worked.
    19. CR - It's not like terrorists could have their money elsewhere.
    20. LTK - A completely personnel vendetta. Another drug lord took Sanchez's place.
    21. TND - Would it have been that big of a deal if Carver got the Chinese media market? Well the British-Chinese naval war would have been, but...
    22. TMWTGG - Scaramanga was only mildly interested in Bond.
    23. QOS - If you're going after a country's water supply, aim for more than 60%.
  • LicencedToKilt69007LicencedToKilt69007 Belgium, Wallonia
    For me, they're all kind of important. I may except LALD, LTK and QOS. These are either not in Bond's actual target (police could have handled this for LALD and partly LTK) or just personal (partly LTK and QOS) but it still important...