Bridge Of Spies (2015)

Now this spy thriller is one I'm looking forward to. Directed by Steven Spielberg, written by Ethan & Joel Coen:

Bridge_of_Spies_poster.jpg

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I can't wait. I don't need to watch the trailer because I just know it's going to be good. I'll watch anything Hanks is in.
    Can't wait myself. It's nice that during such a desnely packes year of spy movies, there's one real serious one. A bit like "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy" and "A Most Wanted Man". The film is based on true events and also reminds me a bit of the TV-series "The Americans".
  • RC7RC7
    Will be interesting to compare Newman's score with that of SP.
    I really like The Americans. I agree that it's good to have a serious spy movie in the mix. We've got a lot of actioners and spoofs this year, as well as the big daddy of them all in November, but this one should attract a different audience.
    RC7 wrote: »

Yeah! I completely forgot about that! Perhaps this could be beneficial of both Newman score, where the score for BOS will be more dramatic/romantic, and the one for SP more typical Bond-esque.

• RC7RC7
    RC7 wrote: »

Yeah! I completely forgot about that! Perhaps this could be beneficial of both Newman score, where the score for BOS will be more dramatic/romantic, and the one for SP more typical Bond-esque.

I'm thinking it will mean his SP score will be more modern perhaps? Given that BOS will presumably be a little more classic/traditional.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    Looking forward to this as well, as it will open three weeks before SP.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited June 2015 Posts: 4,043
    I'm warming to Hanks as I get older, I've always thought he's overrated, that consecutive years best actor winner has always rubbed me up the wrong way but I though he put sterling work in Captain Phillips (I prefer A Hijacking still though).

Possibly the first Spielberg film I'm quite exited to see since Munich and also Mark Rylance, I saw him play Macbeth many years ago but more recent his astounding turn in Wolf Hall, he's attached to Beards adaptation of BFG playing the BFG.

An actor who's been in obscurity getting quite prolific all of a sudden.
    edited June 2015 Posts: 23,883
    At the risk of embarrassing myself, Angels and Demons is one of my favourite films. Great performances by all concerned, superb pacing, relevant subject matter, and it's thrilling. Hanks is great in it, as he is in Captain Phillips. He's the quintessential everyman.
  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    I liked Angels and Demons, too. Love the character hanks plays
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I'm sure there are more extreme cases of miscasting but Tom Hanks as Robert Langdon is got to be up there.

Nothing like the character that was written, I must confess to reading both A&D & The Da vinci not my proudest moment but I will say despite them being both pretty trashy they were fast moving.

Whereas The Da Vinci code in particular is sluggish to point of almost stopping, Hanks is not what I picture when I read the books but each to his own.
    edited June 2015 Posts: 23,883
    I've heard that a lot @Shardlake. I've never read the books but everyone who has tells me that Hanks was miscast. Hence why I said 'at the risk of embarrassing myself' above.

I think with the Langdon films one is better off not having read the books.
    I am near positive I will get a ton of heat and complaining for this but after watching the trailer I really want Spielberg to direct the next Bond film there I said it and I am not taking it back
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Why would you take heat for that? The series would be BLESSED if Spielberg directed a Bond film but that's just never going to happen; unfortunately.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I agree as well. I want Spielberg to direct a Bond film after SPECTRE.
    Looks a fantastic movie! Certainly has wetted my appetite that's for sure!
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    edited June 2015 Posts: 3,157
    Murdock wrote: »
    I agree as well. I want Spielberg to direct a Bond film after SPECTRE.

Me too! I'm glad he didn't have the chance to direct TSWLM in 1977, though, otherwise Indy wouldn't have be born.