When Is It okay to play with the formula?

Hey all,

I had a quick question that I thought I would run by you guys (and gals): Do you think it's ever okay to play with gender and skin color when it comes to 007 tropes? For example, there has been some heated debate about whether a black James Bond would be a good idea. Personally, I think Bond is too iconic to be changed much. But what about smaller roles? They played with M's gender in the past. Do you think it would matter whether M was black or white (or any other descent)? And Q - would that matter? What about Q's gender? I heard someone jokingly say that Q should be a woman and played by Emma Thompson, and I thought, "Hmm, that's actually not a half-bad idea." What if Blofeld were a woman? What if Moneypenney were a man?

So I suppose the question is: Should the formula of characters stay exactly the same? Or do you think they could shuffle around some things, just to mix it up, and have it be acceptable?

Just curious! Not trying to spark any arguments here :)

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited May 2015 Posts: 15,686
    If Moneypenny was a man, shouldn't Bond be a woman then? ;)

What would be bolder, that Bond would become a woman but keeps the heterosexual flirtation with MP, or that Bond stays male and the flirtation between 007 and MP would be of a different nature hinting that Bond and or/MP are attracted to people of the same gender?