30 years ago today!!

j7wildj7wild Suspended
edited August 2011 in General Discussion Posts: 823
the entire first 24 hrs of MTV debut at 12:01 am on August 1st, 1981 is here:

http://www.youtube.com/profile?feature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_652189&user=MTVTheFirst24

Too bad MTV no longer plays Music Videos, they just play crap!

I was 16 and I was there in front of the TV when MTV signed on!!

FYI: here just some of the Movie Directors who started their career directing Music Videos on MTV

Michael Bay, David Fincher videos (Madonna's 1990 "Express Yourself", "Oh Father" and "Vogue") , Antoine Fuqua, Spike Jonze, Alex Proyas, McG, Tarsem, Simon West, Jonathan Glazer and Mark Romanek.

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    You make a very strange point j7wild. MTV, a network who has been known as the network of music news and videos, no longer plays much music at all, except the common clip between show beginnings and endings. It's a sad thing.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    MTV was created by one Robert Pittman, but the idea came from a show called Pop Clips by Michael Nesmith,

Now Nesmith is a fascinating man. He pioneered not only MTV but Country Rock in the 70s via a series of much heralded albums. He is one of the few singer/songwriters to have a tribute album dedicated to his work. He was the first winner of a Grammy for best video in 1981. And since then he has been a novelist, entrepeneur and conservationist.

Nesmith is a great man but whenever anyone meets him they ask him one thing only. 'when are you getting back with the Monkees?' because Nez is best known for being the tall Texan in the 60s TV band. He has accepted that and the fact that NME called him 'the greatest singer/songwriter never heard'.
    FYI: here just some of the Movie Directors who started their career directing Music Videos on MTV

Michael Bay, David Fincher videos (Madonna's 1990 "Express Yourself", "Oh Father" and "Vogue") , Antoine Fuqua, Spike Jonze, Alex Proyas, McG, Tarsem, Simon West, Jonathan Glazer and Mark Romanek

and here is a list of directors who should of stayed at music videos

Michael Bay and McG jury's out on David Fincher
  • j7wildj7wild Suspended

and here is a list of directors who should of stayed at music videos

Michael Bay and McG jury's out on David Fincher
    you are joking, aren't you?

did you not like Se7ven and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and Zodiac and The Social Network and Fight Club and Panic Room and The Game?

Even Alien 3 is good, the reason it could had been better it's because of studio interference and David Fincher's hands were pretty much tied!!

Michael Bay? I don't even have to make a list of all the good movies he made!

McG is good too? You must not have watched Fast Lane and the Charlie's Angels films and We Are Marshall.

Even Terminator Salvation, albeit it doesn't have Arnold, is better than most reboots out there!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Michael Bay? I don't even have to make a list of all the good movies he made!
    Bad Boys, maybe The Rock. That's all in my book.

I prefer him as a producer of Platinum Dunes' horror films.
    McG is good too? You must not have watched Fast Lane and the Charlie's Angels films and We Are Marshall.

Even Terminator Salvation, albeit it doesn't have Arnold, is better than most reboots out there!
    I thought Charlie's Angels and its sequel were both boring me to death. I wasn't convinced. As for Terminator Salvation, I don't think it's a stinker but they waisted a lot of good potential on Bale's demands of making John Connor the central character of the film.