Aston Martin appreciation

SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
in General Discussion Posts: 2,138
Aston Martin secures 200 million pounds to fund new models

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2015/04/30/uk-aston-martin-results-idUKKBN0NL22R20150430

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Great news, I wonder if the DB10 staring role in spectre may have helped. ;)
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    Wont have done any damage thats for sure. Really love the concept car in the article. Has a really mdoern interpretation of the DB5 shaped grill.
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 11,425
    http://www.birminghampost.co.uk/business/manufacturing/aston-martin-stays-ambitious-despite-12664118

Don't see how AM can survive on it's own like this. It needs to be part of a larger automotive group.

If Jaguar Land Rover were bigger, I'd suggest them, but I don't think it would work, and they're struggling to make a success of Jaguar as it stands.

Perhaps one of the big German firms would be a better fit.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    @Getafix

Aston Martin's product range over the last few years has been, well, uninspiring to say the least. The DB9, really their flagship car, has been around for 12 years with only very minor changes.

The DB11 has reviewed well and by all accounts seems to be selling well. Bolstering the core range every 18 months seems a good plan with special models such as the AM RB-100 and the Vanquish S boosting sales.

Looks like they're on the right track. As your article said, its legacy issues which will take years to overcome, but they are moving that way.

And on a Bond theme, I hope the DB10 returns for Bond 25. Seems a shame to waste a bespoke car in one film.
    I'm afraid I don't buy the sunny spin you put on it. Whatever the reason, they're losing a lot of money. A small company like this cannot put out high quality, new products on an 18 month cycle - even some of the bigger car companies struggle to do that. They might tart up some old models and repackage them, but they won't have the resources to develop genuinely new and high quality cars on an on-going basis. They need to be part of a larger firm, where they can piggy back off of existing or shared platforms.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I'm with you @Getafix. Consolidation is the name of the game in the automotive industry these days. A high end marque like AM needs to have the best technology and engineering behind it, and that's where benefits come from a larger group. Things are moving quite rapidly in this space and the costs are going up. Scale brings advantages. Bentley, Lamborghini, Porsche and Bugatti are all benefiting from VW Group.
  • Remeber the car they're developing with Red Bull ? It's got a proper name now : Valkyrie . Aston Martin Valkyrie , coolest car name ever ?aston-martin-valkyrie_01.jpg?itok=0YcEwOgn
    Couldn't see Bond driving that to be honest , it's more Hinx's style.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I saw this one up close a few weeks back. It's quite impressive, but definitely not Bond material.
  • edited March 2017 Posts: 11,425
    Not sure about AM's current design trajectory. Seems to be heading into TVR territory.

I feel like they've lost their way a bit.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Big missed opportunity not to have Bond behind the wheel of this timeless Aston:

aa862f3dc250045f209a3ec1f0bee8f8.jpg
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    The DB7 is probably their ugliest design. Definitely hasn't aged well at all, IMO.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I've always been partial to the Vanquish Zagato
    358ADED600000578-3652817-image-m-2_1466585271250.jpg
    Me too. Stunning car.
    There's a DB 7 in the window of the ocal VW dealership. I guess it belonged to the owner (because before it was parked outside) who decided to put it on sale one day. I wonder what price he asks for it, if it's really for sale.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    jake24 wrote: »
    The DB7 is probably their ugliest design. Definitely hasn't aged well at all, IMO.

Really? I love it. I think it is one of the last really elegant Aston Martins. Today, they are more "supercar" than they used to be.

• MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    Big missed opportunity not to have Bond behind the wheel of this timeless Aston:

aa862f3dc250045f209a3ec1f0bee8f8.jpg

The DB 7 was a stopgap vehicle for Aston Martin lets not forget that it is in fact based on a Jaguar XJS with development work done by TWR whilst the company was owned by The Ford Motor Company at the time many people could not stand the fact that Ford had bought Aston however with hindsight it was the best thing that could have happend to AM Fords funding and their parts &development expertise plus the fact that they adopted a hands off style of management set Aston on the road to where they are today .