Favorite franchise

edited July 2011 in General Discussion Posts: 1,817
I have seen a lot of Bond rankings but I haven't seen any comparison of the Bond franchise with other fictional worlds.
For me, in the first place there's The Godfather Trilogy, which is the closest thing I have to a religion. Then there is the James Bond franchise (22 movies and the books of Fleming) next to the Star Wars saga (the six movies).
How about your franchise/saga rankings?

Comments

• edited July 2011 Posts: 1,497
    There aren't too many franchise I completely respect the way I do Bond. Bond is the only franchise where I can honestly say the majority of the output is good. Actually, Indiana Jones is 3 for 4, so not bad. But look at all the other crap out there! The first 3 Star Wars are undeniable classics--but the prequels nearly killed the franchise for me: so 50% quality/50% rubbish. Jaws: the first one was great, then what happened? Ghostbusters--another one of my favorites, but the sequel was weak. Superman? The first two were very good, then the series just went downhill and has never recovered...Spiderman 1 & 2 were good, but the 3rd one--not so much. The Batman franchise has been a roller coaster of quality--1989 Tim Burton Batman was a success, Returns was decent but not as good, then the Val Kilmer/Clooney atrocities happened. Nolan's back on track, but it's a completely different take. Unfortunately, I fear Warner will continue to try to milk the series after Nolan leaves.

All said and done, Bond has had 1 or 2 duds, and a couple average entries. But on the whole, has maintained a consistent level of quality. I think this is largely due to keeping the production in house under EON all these years and not having the rights passed along. Also, I think having the series continue without major gaps between films has kept the series going consistently. This is where I think a lot of franchises fail--the need to reboot every several years, rather than keep the wheel turning.
    Isn't that obvious that our favourite franchise is James Bond franchise?
    If it were so obvious, I wouldn't started this discussion.
    I've seen comments about Superman, Batman and Star Wars here.
    Also my interest is to compare James Bond with other franchises and sagas. JBFAn626 did an interesting job on that.
    Don't get me wrong. I didn't attack you. But, isn't our favourite franchise the 007 universe?
  • LudsLuds MIA
    Here are some noteworthy franchises I've been a huge fan of
    - Bond
    - Bourne
    - LOTR/Hobbit
    - Star Wars
    - X-Files
  • Monsieur_AubergineMonsieur_Aubergine Top of the Eiffel Tower with a fly in my soup!
    Bond
    LOTR
    Godfather

Although Ive got to say Subway is my favourite franchise..wrong thread sorry! :-)
  • (No particular order)
    - Bond (Obviously)
    - Mission: Impossible (Films)
    - Bourne
    - star Wars
    - Harry Potter
    - Indiana Jones
    Obviously James Bond is byfar my favorite. But I love the Indiana Jones and Man with No Name films aswell.
    The 007 series
    The Thin Man series
    The Falcon series
    Charlie Chan
    The Saint (b/w movies from the 30's/40's)
    Star Wars
    Boston Blackie series
    The Lone wolf series
    Tarzan
    Star Trek
    - Star Trek
    - Universal's Frankenstein Films
    - A Nightmare on Elm Street
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    In no particular order.

The James Bond series
    Star Wars
    Harry Potter
    Indiana Jones
    Back To The Future
    Mission Impossible
    Naked Gun.

Bond, Potter and Star Wars are the ones that get the most views. I think the Harry Potter films are truly some of the best you could wish to see. Wonderfully made, exceptional casts...just brilliant family entertainment.
    Bond is a given.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Bond is top for me but I also like Indy, Star Wars, Harry Potter and The Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit.
  • Lord of the Rings
    Star Wars
    Harry Potter
    Indiana Jones
    Mission IMpossible
    Back to the Future
  • edited July 2011 Posts: 1,856
    I Can settle down for a good Oceans,Indy, Batsy (EXCEPT BM&R), Homesy,Bondy or a DWU episode.
    edited July 2011 Posts: 14,874
    I Can settle down for a good Oceans,Indy, Batsy (EXCEPT BM&R), Homesy,Bondy or a DWU episode.
    Forgot about the Oceans movies. Great fun they are. Love the banter between Clooney, Pitt and Damon. Gold old fun moviemaking.

EDIT - Damn it, I forgot about the Die Hard series as well. Not a big fan of Die Hard 4 as it's crap, but the first three are alot of fun. The original being a classic.
  • edited July 2011 Posts: 163
    top movie franchises...

FIRST BLOOD(RAMBO)(4 films)
    PREDATOR(3 films)
    ALIEN(4 films)
    TERMINATOR(4 films)
    SCREAM(4 films)
    THE MATRIX(3 films)
    JAMES BOND(22+1 films)
    DIRTY HARRY(5 films)
    DIE HARD(4 films)
    --------------------------------------
    KILL BILL Volumes(2+1 in the works)
    SIN CITY(1 film +1 in the works)

i have simple tastes
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    JAMES BOND

STAR WARS
    PLANET OF THE APES
    COWBOY BEBOP
    A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET
    FRIDAY 13TH
    HALLOWEEN
    HELLRAISER
    AKIRA
    INDIANA JONES
    BLADE RUNNER
    2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY

STAR TREK
    THE TEXAS CHAIN SAW MASSACRE
    Movie series
    1. Bond of course
    2. Planet of the Apes ( movie #7 coming up) plus TV series
    3. Godfather - 3 films
    4. Terminator - 4 films plus excellent tv series

Those are the big 4. In more random order

5. Dirty Harry
    6. Superman
    7. Batman
    8. Spiderman
    9. X-Men films
    10. IronMan
    11. Hulk
    12. the new Narnia films

TV ( modern era)

1. Lost
    2. Baywatch
    3. Battlestar Galactica
    4. Prison Break
    5. Buffy and Angel
    6. Alias
    7. X-Files

TV (classic era)

1. Batman (Adam West)
    2. The Avengers
    3. The Man From Uncle
    4. Get Smart
    5. The Saint
    6. The Persuaders

• KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    1. Bond
    2. Batman
    3. Indiana Jones
    4. Godfather
    5. Star Wars
  • edited July 2011 Posts: 2,107
    Aliens (all 4 films)
    Batman (Burton films and Nolan films. Don't own the Schumacher films on dvd and have no longer a vhs-player)
    Bond (everything about Bond)
    Dollars Trilogy (A Fistful of Dollars, For A Few Dollars More and The Good, The Bad and The Ugly)
    Indiana Jones (all 4 films)
    Mission Impossible
    Predator (first two)
    Star Wars
    Forgot about the Oceans movies. Great fun they are. Love the banter between Clooney, Pitt and Damon. Gold old fun moviemaking.

EDIT - Damn it, I forgot about the Die Hard series as well. Not a big fan of Die Hard 4 as it's crap, but the first three are alot of fun. The original being a classic.
    Don't worry i forgot PIRATES!

Don't worry i forgot PIRATES!
    Oh man I forgot Pirates as well.

#-O

Another franchise I thoroughly enjoy. Completely silly, over the top, and mad. But such joyous fun and wonderfully entertaining to.
    X_X
    I'm almost to scared to venture back into this thread, as I've already missed several great franchises from my list.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited July 2011 Posts: 13,894
    Film series? Outside of Bond, it's mostly horror for me.

Friday The 13th
    Wishmaster
    Harry Palmer
    Re-Animator
    The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
    Species
    Tremors
    Cube
    Dirty Harry
    Sniper

Even if I don't like all the films from each series.
    I forgot a lot of movies. I agree, Ocean films are great films for a slow sunday or rainy saturday.

Die Hard, granted that I haven't seen any of them in a few years.

Dirty Harry (Same with Die Hard. Haven't seen all of the films all that often. Been thinking of buying on dvd. Same as with the Die Hard films)

Okay, Terminator. Especially the first two.

Pirates, although the 4th wasn't that good.

Palmer films of the sixties.

TV:

X-Files
    The Saint
    The Simpsons
    Futurama
    The Sopranos (although I haven't seen all of the episodes)
    Oz (that one was nasty. The reason that glued me in front of the tv on all those late nights)
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited July 2011 Posts: 4,441
    Suske En Wiske. 1987/ 6-7 year old and the real start be in 1991, one year after Willy Van Dersteen died so i grow up with Paul Geerst (credit) and Marc Verhaegen (Uncredit) Iam not realy exited about the comic those days who get a 4th and 5th creater after the studio fired Verhaegen who work solo/credit for a whyle. Sometime the stories are less intresting and the prices there ask are not worth it. Marc his solo projects are more worth it whyle for a part i don't like those too. Stil collect things but no so easy and fun as earlier.

James Bond. First Bond steps in 1992 at the age of 11/12 years old. Real start between Goldeneye and TMND and the dvd's in 2001 to another level. Franchise made a step back when Brosnan leave in 2002. Eon choose for another way for James Bond and i only like the parts what remember me to the older days. Something the producers can be proud on. But it be the Politic ideas of Michael G Wilson about looking to the time we lived in be my biggest problem. Something he can't quite talking about since making Die Another Day. Is this realy the same guy who be the son of Albert R Broccoli. Who yuse Afghanistan/Maroc and Germany/India for a Bond movie on a health way. Also with Bond i feel a doing a step back. Stil missing the CR in my collection and it take so long that i deside now to wait til 2012.

Kuifje & Bobby (Tin Tin). Whyle Willy and Fleming said yes, Hergé don't whant others take his job over after his death. I don't have the complete series and mabey that's because i whas more of fan from the Dutch dubbing tv series and Kuifje have sometimes a wrong/dark side in him you not always liked. Wait where i have seen this too. Spielberg and Daniel Craig. When there whant to make a movie franchise i whas not realy suprised about Spielberg, who always think he must do it. But i expect he going to make Kuifje in Tibet and afraid he going to ask Tom Felton (Malfoy in Harry Potter) for the part. Whyle i like a big part of Spielberg his movies there be limited. That limit include that iam worried about Spielberg idea be copy on Daniel Craig iam worried about for James Bond and be the reasen why i am not intrest in Indiana Jones.

Harry Potter. Buy the first book before i buy the first movie in May 2002. Saw the second one in movie theater. After the fift movie i buy with quite the dvd's at the moment. Iam wait til the Ultimate Editions of part 6-8 and in the mean time i stil must see the 4th and 5th movie. Favorite Books: 3 - 5 - 1 - 4 - 2 - 6 - 7 From the first three movies the second is my favorite whyle the novel always be my last favorite before the 6th whas released. The 3th book is my favorite whyle from the first 3 movies it be my last favorite. But the 3th movie have the best special effects and music, it be costume / location and chacter change in special what i don't like it from it. Together with James Bond it be the biggest posters collection from a movie. The only thing iam wait for be those Ultimate Editions and a complete soundtrack collection.

POTC. Finaly watch the first movie this month and it be a whyle a go i give a Franchise movie a 8.5. All 2 disc SE of the first three movies, a bonus disc from POTC 3 and the complete 5 disc Soundtrack Collection Gift set.

Mission Impossible.. Mi2 - Mi1 - Mi3. I pay a lot of money for the dvd of Mi2 who i watch in the cinema and be my favorite. 9/10. Stil missing the score of the first movie and hope some day a better release of the Mi2 score. Wait long to get the 3 disc edition of Mi3.

Terminator. I buy 2 disc SE of Terminator 2 who include disc 2 and 3 disc from the 3 disc UE because it whas cheap and with 4 other movies. Terminator 4 is missing.

Spider-Man. 8.5/10 No intrest in Amazing Spider-Man. First movie seen in cinema and les like part 2. Big fan of the 90's animated serie's like the animated 1992 series of Batman. There be to much releases of Spider-Man animated to see the one i whant to have whyle in The Netherlands we stil wait on Volume 3 & 4.

Batman. Nolan made a wrong choose, Batman Begins give some hope to get more intrest in Batman but TDK isn't very good and there already going to quite after 3 movies. Batman Forever is my favorite, not realy a big fan of Batman Returns.

Mad Men. When all 6 seasons be released and be so good as it be on the moment (Season 3) i possible going to buy the complete collection. I hope the series don't quite when the 60's are over what be confirmd. I like to see the 70's too and mabey also my own era the 80's.

The A-team
    Knight Rider
    MacGyver. For me a 90's series and can't remember of the channel give all 7 seasons, but last week i buy the complete collection on dvd.
    Airwolf
    The Saint. Whyle i have seen some episodes on tv, iam more like a starter.
    The Persuaders.

CSI Las Vegas
    CSI New York
    Burn Notice
    Leverage