The James Bond Cinematic Universe: Expanding the Franchise

jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
edited March 2015 in Bond Movies Posts: 10,588
007-logo-white.jpgAs I was reading through multiple threads, I noticed some people were discussing the possibility of expanding the James Bond universe.
Personally, I think I'd be opposed to the idea, but how would other people feel if EON productions were to create individual character spin-offs or perhaps separate films centering around Bond when he was a boy?
In the recent years, this seems to have become a very popular phenomenon with many large scale film series (namely DC, Marvel, and now Star Wars), and I believe that if done gracefully, this might not be a terrible idea for EON to consider, although currently they're not too keen on the idea.

“I think Bond lives in his own universe! I don't think he's going to want to share it with anybody, to be honest.” - BB

“Mission: Impossible and Bond pairing? I don't think so. I think that's the comic book world. They've done very well with that, and more power to 'em.” - MGW

Comments

• OnlyManWhoCanOnlyManWhoCan Greater London
    All these cinematic universes are a terrible idea. The only reason Marvel's worked is that they had a pre-existing bedrock of comic characters that already supported their own comic books. They started with what were deemed at the time to be 2nd tier characters but they still had a dedicated readership.

While DC is their nearest competitor when it comes to a universe of characters I feel they've made a grievous error by building their universe around Man of Steel, a film which I yet to see in full (every time I try it is just horrible, horrible horrible).

We have a Ghost Busters universe being built before the first reboot comes out, we have a megaton of Star Wars films in the pipe line too.

I just think we need 1 film at a time, guys!

TBH the Bond films have 1 important/interesting character and that's James Bond. Every so often there's a rumour of a Bond girl getting a film (hello, Jinx), but that's usually a bit of hype around release and once the dust is settled people have long forgotten them.

That's not to say I think the supporting cast is one-dimensional but I can't imagine I would want to spent 90+ mins with M, Q, Moneypenny etc.

The only thing I can think of is a interim film in-between casting Bond actors, focusing on a Bond villain. Think Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me but not a comedy! It would be kinda interesting to see a villain build an empire and almost take over the world (several of the Bond novels give detailed backgrounds to the villains that are only hinted at in the cinematic adaptation).

That would be an interesting one-off but I can't imagine an entire universe of Bond movies without 007.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    What kind of cinematic universe could we build around Bond?

Coming 2018...

M: THE MOVIE!

*Bond enters the office.*

Bond: M

M: Ah, 007, good to see you in. Your assignment is to investigate Baron Von Adamoff (I made that name up on the spot), who has a secret island in the Adriatic.

Bond: Right away, M.

*Bond leaves. Two hours of M sitting in his office waiting for an update.*

*Iris out. Roll credits.*
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Send that script to EON, stat. What would M do for a past-time? I'm picturing him smoking and drinking a bunch.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Shuffling papers, calling Moneypenny in to put said papers into a file cabinet. Maybe pulling out a laptop and clicking on something.
  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    Where does m get his tobacco? Find our next summer!
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Shuffling papers, calling Moneypenny in to put said papers into a file cabinet. Maybe pulling out a laptop and clicking on something.
    The question is what...
    edited March 2015 Posts: 7,854
    Q: THE MOVIE!

*Q spends 20 minutes building gadgets.*

*Bond walks in.*

Bond: Afternoon, Q. How's the wife?

Q: Not funny in the slightest, 007.

*Q hands Bond a Swiss Army Cellphone.*

Q: This phone contains a fingerprint scanner, miniature gun that fires three bullets, 3D printer, cup holders, and has better coverage than Sprint, AT&T and Verizon.

Bond: Wonderful.

*Q shows Bond the car.*

Q: This Aston Martin has been equipped with machine guns, a flamethrower, a laser, most certainly not a stealth camouflage system that only works occasionally and a traction system that puts all 4x4 vehicles to shame.

Bond: Nice car, Q.

Q: Be sure to bring back this equipment in pristine order, 007.

*Bond gets in the car.*

Bond: Have I ever let you down?

Q: Not entirely.

*Bond drives off.*

*Q sits around the remaining 1 hour and 32 minutes watching his underlings accidentally kill one another with the background gadgets because OSHA was forbidden from entering the Q Lab.*