Bill Tanner | Chief of Staff

Comments

• SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    It's not going to be everyone's taste but it's streets above Mrs Brown's Boys or Miranda as what British and Irish comedy has had to offer of recent.

Is there anything better than Peep Show?
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Sark wrote: »
    It's not going to be everyone's taste but it's streets above Mrs Brown's Boys or Miranda as what British and Irish comedy has had to offer of recent.

Is there anything better than Peep Show?

I wouldn't regard PS as recent it's been going for several years, the shows I mentioned are for me are an example of the poor state of comedy shows in this country of late, bit like the state of music here as well.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Shardlake wrote: »
    the shows I mentioned are for me are an example of the poor state of comedy shows in this country of late

I agree entirely except you mistakenly seem to be arguing that the dismal Count Arthur Strong should be separated from MBB (which I grant you is the Marianas trench of the BBC's barrel scraping) and Miranda rather than lumped in with them where it should be.

It even has a laughter track FFS.

To be fair though I thought Rory was the only good (obviously such words are relative in the circumstances) moment in the lamentable comic relief Bond sketch.

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    the shows I mentioned are for me are an example of the poor state of comedy shows in this country of late

I agree entirely except you mistakenly seem to be arguing that the dismal Count Arthur Strong should be separated from MBB (which I grant you is the Marianas trench of the BBC's barrel scraping) and Miranda rather than lumped in with them where it should be.

To be fair though I thought Rory was the only good (obviously such words are relative in the circumstances) moment in the lamentable comic relief Bond sketch.

Sue me for liking Count Arthur Strong, I just do laughter track or not.
    edited March 2015 Posts: 9,117

Trust me if I could I would.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Bill Tanner is a great addition to the novels. In the films he has always been bland and boring and superfluous.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com

Trust me if I could I would.

I liked it when it was on the radio but I've not seen the TV version yet. Didn't he say he was nearly cast in the role of James Bond once in one episode?!
    Rory Kinnear nearly cast as Bond? If so, I would start appreciating Brosnan.

I would start appreciating Nelson!

I would start appreciating hemorroids.
    edited March 2015 Posts: 17,806

No, it was on the radio show of Count Arthur Strong.
    Phew! I worried we might get a reprise of the Cubby senility when he cast Pierce.
    Phew! I worried we might get a reprise of the Cubby senility when he cast Pierce.

Well Pierce certainly looked the part you see.
  • ChiefTannerChiefTanner Wilmington, DE, USA
    Friends finally?

548eb09964cf3.jpg
    Here's hoping! :)
    It looks like Tanner made an inappropriate joke and Bond is wincing and laughing at the same time :D
    Was this picture taken between takes or during shooting?
    That's certainly an outtake not a still from the film surely? Rory showing way too much animation.

• suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Michael Goodlife and James Villiers were better than Rory! And they were far removed from Fleming.
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Michael Goodlife and James Villiers were better than Rory! And they were far removed from Fleming.

Yes, they both seemed rather stuffy and angry but at least they had some sort of character to them!
    Exactly.
    Did Bill Tanner have that much character in Fleming's novels? His role was minor, more like Bond's mate.
    edited April 2015 Posts: 5,131
    Not really you're right.......but he was not the geeky Rory take on the character.....definitely not Bonds mate.
    Not really you're right.......but he was not the geeky Rory take on the character.....definitely not Bonds mate.

I don't find Rory geeky. Civil servant most definitely but not geeky.
    Ok can I say 'boring' and more reminiscent of a science teacher rather than an MI6 sleuth (office based or not).
    Ok can I say 'boring' and more reminiscent of a science teacher rather than an MI6 sleuth (office based or not).

He's reminiscent of a civil servant. I don't mind beige for this kind of role.
  • ChiefTannerChiefTanner Wilmington, DE, USA
    edited May 2015 Posts: 34
    So with Craig stating that he wants to bring some of the old humor and irony back into the series, is there hope that Tanner will be given a dry joke or two to throw out?
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I agree I hope they " lighten up" Tanner a little more, so he's a mate to Bond as well
    As a colleague.
    edited May 2015 Posts: 9,117
    So with Craig stating that he wants to bring some of the old humor and irony back into the series, is there hope that Tanner will be given a dry joke or two to throw out?

Maybe. But is there any hope that Rory wouldnt kill it stone dead with his moribund delivery?
    DrGorner wrote: »
    I agree I hope they " lighten up" Tanner a little more, so he's a mate to Bond as well
    As a colleague.

I seriously cannot envisage why Bond would see this dull pen pusher outside work. Unless of course he was trying to pull a gorgeous bird who had a fat mate he could palm off on hapless old Rory.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    :)) That theory fits the bill. ;)