British car brand Jensen is BACK :-D!!

2»

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Getafix wrote: »
    In a way, Aston could be good fit with Jag and Land Rover. If Jag was squarely targeted at the upper end of the mid-market, like its German rivals, and Aston was the luxury brand, they could share platforms and investment, as happened under Ford.

I agree that Jag has potential. But they need to sort their models and the marketing out. Their cars are too showy to compete with Merc, Audi, BMW, in my opinion. They might appeal to the get rich quick wide-boys in the City and naff golf club crowd, but I don't see them having that mass appeal the German brands have. A shame some of Britain's other great brands have disappeated. I'm just not sure Jag is the right brand for what Tata wants it to do.

I suppose Tata's other alternative is to start making saloon car Range Rovers. The Evoque has almost taken them into that territory. They also own the Rover marque, although I can't see any one wanting to revive that.

I agree on all counts. I think the new Jaguar XE is key. How that vehicle is received globally will have repercussions for how Tata moves forward, with platform sharing etc.

I like the idea of saloon car Range Rovers. The brand is very strong (unlike Rover), and so it can be done.
    Except Aston and even Jaguar are hardly the big boys. Aston Martin is in a pretty difficult situation. I don't really see how it can survive as it is. They had a very successful period under Ford (at least in terms of design and quality) but they seem a little directionless currently. And I don't think they have the money required to invest in serious new models.

Ever checked the order portfolio of Aston Martin during the past three years? The British brand is thriving in China and the Middle East. Especially for these markets they created this stunning Aston Martin Lagonda Mark 2. It'll come to Europe, but the big business will come from the markets I just mentioned. You can buy it in 2016:
    Aston_Martin_Lagonda_2015.jpg
    04-aston-martin-lagonda-taraf-geneva-1.jpg
    lagonda-aston-martin1-640x424.jpg
    lagonda-taraf-dubai.jpg
    And the original Mark 1 Lagonda:
    Aston_Martin_Lagonda_West_London.jpg

And then there's this stunning race-track-only car, the new Aston Martin Vulcan:
    aston-martin-onthult-racewagen-vulcan.jpg
    Aston-Martin-Vulcan-Live-Geneva-2015-08.jpg

And the Aston Martin DBX Concept was in Geneva too:
    geneva-2015-9_0.jpg?itok=HKNACmty

So it's not true. Aston Martin is in wunderful shape right now.

edited March 2015 Posts: 23,883
    I'll always love that 70's Lagonda. It was one of the cars that got me interested in cars in the first place. Very adventurous for its time, and even now a beautiful looking vehicle.

I'm sure that there is a growing market for 'custom' high end vehicles. The super rich among us are growing in number, and there is an increasing desire to stand out from the rest of the plebs. Standard Mercs and Bimmers just don't cut it for this crowd. They don't necessarily have good taste, but they certainly have money.

So I can appreciate there is a market for something rare like Aston Martin. Jensen will need some really good marketing, like Bond or something else, to elevate into the consciousness of this customer group.
    But back on-topic. I really like the classic 1966 Jensen CV8, which has a similar elegance to the Jaguar E-Type and the Aston Martin DB5/6:

DSC07337.JPG
    DSC07336.JPG
    u_Jensen%20CV8%20mkII%20side.jpg
    t_Jensen%20CV8%20mkII%20tail.jpg

Also its predecessor, the 541S was wunderful:
    d3s_8066.jpg
    1960_Jensen_541S.jpg
    00016344_Jensen_541S.jpg

As you can see, the newclay model is also based on this Jensen CV8.
    Thanks for posting @Gustav_Graves. I like the 541S better. Very interesting C pillar design and the rear glass panel is also very unusual.
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 11,425
    Not sure the rosy picture you paint of Aston Martin is totally accurate. I think the real long term financial situation in terms of developing new models may not be quite so wonderful.

If you look at the size of the company, I just don't think it's big enough to survive on its own in the long term.

Not a fan of the Lagonda either.
    bondjames wrote: »
    True, but Jag has come a heck of a long way compared to where it was a decade or so ago, and they are slowly becoming relevant again. It is a slow process, but the potential return is there, as the Jag nameplate is well known enough and the increasingly large wealthy Indian market may buy into it down the road once they know it's a Tata product. The primary problem with Jaguar for many people was the reliability. If they can fix that, they can go places.

Aston did get an equity infusion from a private equity fund recently, but that's not going to be good enough in the long run. Even so, the Aston name is far more alluring and well known than Jensen imho.

That's why I'm not sure who would put money into Jensen, even though a big investor is what it needs...

@bondjames be completely reassured about the quality of both Land Rover and Jaguar.
    Both were fixed under Ford ownership and Tata have progressed that aspect of things even further.
    I drive both and despite the fact that my XKR is now 16 years old I haven't had any trouble. It goes like a bird.
    The issue for me is their go forward plan for both marques pertaining to design and individuality.
    If they distance Land-rover from it's all terrain, work and sport roots it will be a disaster and they will loose the specificity of the brand.
    Personally, I hate the Evoque but like what they have done with the Range Rover and the Range Rover Sport. Plans for the Disco also look strong albeit I think it's a huge mistake to discontinue the Defender (particularly when you've got it in SP) and to loose the Free Lander name — although I did hear that the latter may be only temporary.
    Regarding Jag, I worry — but not about quality, about design. Their rush to develop a harmonious line up to compete with BMW and Audi is taking them out of the luxury sector and into the premium market. Furthermore, it is squeezing the individuality out of the brand.
    For me, the problem started when Geoff Lawson died and they replaced him with Ian Callum.
    Geoff new how to design truly individual cars whilst Callum, IVNSHO, has smoothed the curves out of the marque and has embarked on a cookie cutter approach.
    Technically, the 'F' Type is a fine car but, I'm sad to say, the Porsche Cayman is a hell of a lot more beautiful and cheaper!
    As for AM, there is one broken down around every corner. 75% of the vehicles they have built since 2008 have been recalled and a friend of mine that bought a DB9 described it as the Austin Allegro of luxury. He is now happily ensconced in a Bentley.
    Putting 007 in a modern AM is putting him in jeopardy. Q branch should know better!
  • Campbell2Campbell2 Epsilon Rho Rho house, Bending State University
    Thing with Aston is Asia may be great market,but that's not enough.Development costs huge sums you only earn back by selling huge numbers. That's why sharing the burden would be necessary IMO. BUT you don't want to go with the competition so a big company would maybe be the best partner. And they would have to have plans for the long view, 10 to 20 years.
    Campbell2 wrote: »
    Thing with Aston is Asia may be great market,but that's not enough.Development costs huge sums you only earn back by selling huge numbers. That's why sharing the burden would be necessary IMO. BUT you don't want to go with the competition so a big company would maybe be the best partner. And they would have to have plans for the long view, 10 to 20 years.

Exactly.

Exactly.

True, but they should move quickly to find a solution because once you have a reputation for poor quality and this level of recall, the road back is very difficult and you need more than 007 to help you out.
    But back on-topic. I really like the classic 1966 Jensen CV8, which has a similar elegance to the Jaguar E-Type and the Aston Martin DB5/6:

As you can see, the newclay model is also based on this Jensen CV8.

Now this I like the look of - what fabulous looking cars.Where have I been all my life?

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Villiers53 wrote: »

Exactly.

True, but they should move quickly to find a solution because once you have a reputation for poor quality and this level of recall, the road back is very difficult and you need more than 007 to help you out.

China alone has more then 2 million millionaires, India has another 15000, and Indonesia has another 36000 millionaires. So I guess the market isn't all that bad in Asia.
    The reputation is indeed a problem I wasn't aware of, I thought that was something from the DB7 era. Still, they're coming up with a new platform and AMG engines.

and according to pistonheads the Gaydon cars are all as reliable as you can expect from a marque like Aston.

Exactly.

China alone has more then 2 million millionaires, India has another 15000, and Indonesia has another 36000 millionaires. So I guess the market isn't all that bad in Asia.
    The reputation is indeed a problem I wasn't aware of, I thought that was something from the DB7 era. Still, they're coming up with a new platform and AMG engines.

and according to piston heads the Gaydon cars are all as reliable as you can expect from a marque like Aston.

Sorry,but I think that a 75% recall level (a fact), says it all and I only hope that all these millionaires in Asia just want to look at their AMs and not drive them.
    As for "as reliable as you can expect from Aston" - I think if you lay out that sought of wonga, you want reliability and Bentley, Porsche and Jaguar have it in abundance.
    A sad state of affairs for a great old marque like AM but you can't live on Bond alone.
    Getting back to 007, I'm seriously worried that our hero will be trying to out run Spectre in one of these things.

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea

Exactly.

and according to piston heads the Gaydon cars are all as reliable as you can expect from a marque like Aston.

Sorry,but I think that a 75% recall level (a fact), says it all and I only hope that all these millionaires in Asia just want to look at their AMs and not drive them.
    As for "as reliable as you can expect from Aston" - I think if you lay out that sought of wonga, you want reliability and Bentley, Porsche and Jaguar have it in abundance.
    A sad state of affairs for a great old marque like AM but you can't live on Bond alone.
    Getting back to 007, I'm seriously worried that our hero will be trying to out run Spectre in one of these things.

I have no doubt he will as he's driving a one-off for the film itself. With the amount of new models and exclusives coming out I do have the impression AM is in great shape. As for the recall, that was a precaution, not due to bad workmanship.
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/02/05/us-autos-astonmartin-recall-idUSBREA141T120140205

That could've happened to any marque, as it has happened to one of the biggest and most trusted companies a few times, Toyota:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009–11_Toyota_vehicle_recalls

Exactly.

I have no doubt he will as he's driving a one-off for the film itself. With the amount of new models and exclusives coming out I do have the impression AM is in great shape. As for the recall, that was a precaution, not due to bad workmanship.
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/02/05/us-autos-astonmartin-recall-idUSBREA141T120140205

That could've happened to any marque, as it has happened to one of the biggest and most trusted companies a few times, Toyota:

I think 007 is in great danger of breaking down when he rounds the first corner.
    I hope Q is there to push and no, I wouldn't put him in a Toyota. I wouldn't wish that on my greatest enemy let alone my hero!

Exactly.

I think 007 is in great danger of breaking down when he rounds the first corner.
    I hope Q is there to push and no, I wouldn't put him in a Toyota. I wouldn't wish that on my greatest enemy let alone my hero!

Generally I agree @Villiers53, but I'm willing to make a one off exception for the beauty below:

[img][/img]Bond_07_Toyota02_1078x516.jpg
    I was about to say... too late! ;-)
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Now that is practically a one off
    However let us not forget that Aston Martin and Toyota already have a working relationship
    AM Signet Anyone ? :-/

Generally I agree @Villiers53, but I'm willing to make a one off exception for the beauty below:

[img][/img]Bond_07_Toyota02_1078x516.jpg[/quote]

I'll take the driver and leave the car!

I love the YOLT Toyota. Great movie, great car.
    Mrcoggins wrote: »
    Now that is practically a one off
    However let us not forget that Aston Martin and Toyota already have a working relationship
    AM Signet Anyone ? :-/
    As fas as I know those are out of production..
    During the 85th Geneva International Motor Show, we'll get to see the revival of British car brand Jensen. On the brand-new Jensen stand, this clay model of the Jensen GT will be shown:
    q61ycmxbcpqz.jpg
    tg9yubxbfke9.jpg

It will be the basis of the upcoming new Jensen Interceptor 2, which will have a 6.5 liter V8 SuperCharger engine from General Motors. As you can see, the design is based on the old Jensen Interceptor.
    Jensen-Interceptor-Convertible-copper-brown-1974-00B9J370226442E.jpeg
    1Ad.jpg

I seen it Autocar @Gustav Grave thank for making thread. Long ago I can't remember they were going to revive Jensen Brand. When it is coming back to life???? There was a website of the revival but the web has gone blank. It will be good the British brand to come to challenge Jaguar as Europe & Asian brands. I remember Simon Dutton who played Simon Templer/The Saint in mini Telemovie in 1989 driving a Jensen which replace the Jaguar XJS. Late Steve Forrest From The SWAT & good friend of Roger Moore in his short British TV series The Baron drove a luxury Jensen big Sedan 4 door. I hope they do that again to challenge Mercedes Benz S-Class,Lexus LS,BMW 7 series & Jaguar Xj. With a big V8. I hope the next Saint drive this revive Jensen instead be reunited Volvo that all 4 Cylinders model brand Boo who >:P
    Since The Saint is coming we all hope it will He should drive a new Jensen like he did 1989 when Simon Dutton who play Simon Templar & looks a little like Timothy Dalton who was 007 at that time. He drove a 1976 model, that will promote sales.