Confessions From a 007 Fan

(ENGLISH)

Confessions From a 007 Fan

Another day starts…

I think about my duties that I have to do…

It just happens that I look for the websites searching for 007 news…

Is there any news for Bond 24?...

Really … I’m not so desperate to listen or watch news about the current production by Barbara Broccoli & Michael G. Wilson like when I was a teenager and potential 007 fan at my 14 years.

As a 007 fan, the age grows on me just as the years pass and I express my gratitude for the privilege of enjoying the last film from the series, Skyfall (the most minimalist & symbolic movie of the franchise in the most timely moment for me), like a sober adult who walks in an art gallery and stops to watch a particular artwork which pulls out a nostalgic smile from me, although I already haven’t the same jubilation and joke as my young being had in the past.

I don’t feel the need to demand nor to worry therefore for what the producers do to the series now. Everyday, I remind to myself that the franchise isn’t my property, but from the producers: Do I, along with other fans, have the power to influence how do I want the 007 series to manage appropriately?

While I think very much about that, I watch the other rival film series or from another kind (who win major income than the 23 Bond films curiously) thinking if I’m following the correct franchise or if I would be happy following another film series with similar entertainment

Sometimes I wonder if I’m a different kind of geek: A geek who likes neither comic books, nor superheroes, nor Star Trek, nor Star Wars, nor Tolkien works, nor science fiction in general, etc. It seems that I’m a kind of quite obscure and slightly popular geek called the 007 geek.

I’m not sure if other film series have more rewarding plots than those from James Bond, but if there is anything that the 007 series has taught me overtime it’s to appreciate how a franchise with more than 50 years of experience can contain so many generations of fans, which makes difficult to decide what era represents better the Ian Fleming’s creation or Albert Broccoli’s goals; the previous … instead of being a problem, it turns out to be an advantage so the public follows up the James Bond series and develops artistic and creative freedom, as well as its imagination to create its own interpretations about the 007 universe with no many limitations like the other film series. Personally, I have seen the stories from James Bond as different parallel worlds (like The Legend of Zelda videogame series), where the only distinguishing element is the era and the 007 actor, including the recurring / supporting characters (M, Moneypenny, Q, Felix Leiter, Bill Tarner, etc.).

Sometimes I keep thinking how Albert Broccoli’s intentions were so,at the end, this James Bond series became immortal and had the actual importance to bring over film directors that nobody could even imagine: Quentin Tarantino, Christopher Nolan… and now Sam Mendes. Will all this mean that the 007 series deserves more than we have seen? Has it declined very much for its elements (probably, obsolete) compared with those from other series? Is the 007 series the real paradise for the perfect cinematic entertainment, which should continue as an example for other film series? Is the James Bond series the highest trophy for players from the media & entertainment, which have been careless enough and needs to improve or to be cleaned with more persistence?

Normally, I’m frustrated for watching comments from the casual public. I don’t know if the casual public has any idea of what the 007 series means, thinking that the casual public watches the James Bond series like a circus, where it wants to watch all kind of crazy things or eccentricity, which ends up being more news turned into events or statistics (the first black James Bond, for example)... they go with: See who the new Bond will be! Place your bets!... and the casual public doesn’t approve that the 007 series needs to be reinvented like other film series.

Is it fair that the casual public keeps on watching James Bond as a mockery and not as a serious project like the other film franchises? What needs the 007 series to be taken seriously? Will it be that the 007 fanbase has not behaved in the best way with the casual public? Or is the 007 fanbase more realistic than other fanbases from other film series?

There was a time in which I was excited for directing a James Bond film with digital animation ending the Live-Action era, since I wanted to prove something different with the franchise; honestly, I’m getting tired of watching how a new actor is always chosen for this character. Nevertheless, I know that’s a crazy thing … a Latin American director filming a James Bond film… such thing will never happen. The thing was that because if that I took a digital animation course to do this experiment until I noticed that it was pointless to interfere with James Bond. I always have the dream of making movies inspired by my own stories (inclusive in Live-Action); now that I have some knowledge about animation, I already defined that the dream of my life will be to direct or to write original animated films and I’m grateful with the 007 universe and everything what surrounds it. I would never imagine that a fictitious British secret agent from MI6 would be the inspiration of my life.

I’m grateful to James Bond for giving me my first artistic exercises and the illusion of being able to imagine him in an animated way, which now encourages me to continue my real vocation of movie animation.

I don’t care for defending what I observed of James Bond during my adolescence or supporting this immature battle from my generation against the today’s younger generation for knowing which was the best 007 era. It’s necessary to allow this new generation of 007 fans to be; I know that all of you will say this current James Bond series has great influence of from Jason Bourne movies, but … hey … the other 007 films weren’t 100% original and they borrowed inspiration from other movies, which were in style during that time (for example... Moonraker (1979) has elements from Star Wars). I don’t believe that the legacy from Albert Broccoli, Sean Connery, George Lazenby, Roger Moore, Timothy Dalton, Pierce Brosnan, John Glenn, Terence Young, Guy Hamilton, Martin Campbell or John Barry will be destroyed (or disappear) while we keep on speaking about them and taking those characters as inspiration in our hobbies without disrespecting the other generations, since when this new generation has our age and watch how a new generation (younger people than them) wants to impose the new rules for the 007 series, they will know the feelings that we are feeling most of us right now with the Daniel Craig era. At the end of the day, they will learn the lesson and as Felix Leiter said in the novel Live & Let Die: Live and let live.

The new generations, Broccoli and Wilson will change whatever they want to the 007 series, since no generation was perfect for the franchise. Just I will be smiling in my life always hoping to watch one phrase that joins all of us as fanbase: James Bond Will Return…

That is the news that I take seriously every day.

Thank you very much for taking a few minutes to read this and I wish you a good day with a lot of success.

See you soon!

(ESPAÑOL)

Confesiones de un Fan del 007

Empieza otro día…

Pienso en los deberes que debo hacer…

Sólo se me ocurre ver los sitios web buscando noticias del 007…

¿Hay nuevas noticias para el Bond 24?...

En realidad… no estoy tan desesperado en escuchar u observar noticias sobre la nueva producción de Barbara Broccoli y Michael G. Wilson como cuando yo era adolescente y estaba en ciernes como fan del 007 a mis 14 años.

Como fan del 007, la edad crece en mi persona conforme avanzan los años y agradezco el privilegio de disfrutar la última entrega de la saga, Skyfall (la película más minimalista y simbólica que la franquicia ha producido en el momento más oportuno para mí), como un adulto sereno que camina en una galería de arte y se detiene observando una obra particular que le saca una sonrisa nostálgica, aunque yo ya no tengo el mismo júbilo y el mismo relajo que mi joven persona tuvo en el pasado.

No siento la necesidad de exigir, ni preocuparme siquiera por lo que los productores le hagan a la saga ahora. Todos los días, me recuerdo a mí mismo que la franquicia no es propiedad mía, sino de los productores ¿Yo, al lado de otros fans, tengo el poder de influir cómo quiero que se conduzca la serie del 007 apropiadamente?

Mientras pienso mucho sobre eso, observo las sagas rivales del 007 o de otro tipo (que ganan mayores ingresos que los 23 filmes de James Bond curiosamente) pensando si estoy siguiendo la saga correcta o si estaría feliz siguiendo otra serie fílmica con un entretenimiento similar.

A veces me pregunto si soy un diferente tipo de geek/friki: Un geek que no le gustan las historietas, ni los superhéroes, ni Star Trek, ni Star Wars, ni las obras de Tolkien, ni ciencia ficción en general, etc. Parece que soy un tipo de geek bastante desconocido y poco popular llamado el geek 007.

No estoy seguro si otras sagas tengan más tramas enriquecedoras que las de James Bond, pero si hay algo que la serie del 007 me ha enseñado con el tiempo es apreciar cómo una franquicia con más de 50 años de experiencia puede contener tantas generaciones de fanáticos que es difícil decidir cuál época representa mejor la creación de Ian Fleming o los ideales/metas de Albert Broccoli; lo anterior… en vez de ser un problema, resulta ser una ventaja para que el público siga la saga de James Bond y desarrolle libertad artística y creativa, así como su imaginación para crear sus propias interpretaciones sobre el universo del 007 sin muchas limitaciones como en otras series fílmicas. En lo personal, he visto las historias de James Bond como diferentes universos paralelos (como la serie de videojuegos de The Legend of Zelda), donde el diferenciador es la época y el actor del 007, incluyendo los actores de los secundarios/recurrentes (M, Moneypenny, Q, Felix Leiter, Bill Tarner, etc.).

A veces me quedo pensando cómo fueron las intenciones de Albert Broccoli para que al final esta serie de James Bond se volviera inmortal y tuviera la importancia de hoy para acercar directores de filmes que nadie ni se hubiera imaginado: Quentin Tarantino, Christopher Nolan… y ahora Sam Mendes. ¿Todo esto significa que la saga merece más de lo que hemos visto? ¿Ha decaído mucho por sus elementos probablemente obsoletos comparados con los de otras series? ¿La saga del 007 es el verdadero paraíso para el entretenimiento cinemático perfecto que las demás sagas deberían seguir como ejemplo? ¿La serie de James Bond es el trofeo máximo para participantes del medio del entretenimiento… un trofeo que se ha descuidado bastante y necesita pulirse o limpiarse con más constancia?

Normalmente, me frustro al observar comentarios del público casual, del cual no sé si tiene alguna idea de lo que significa la saga del 007, considerando que el público casual observa la saga de James Bond como un circo donde quieren ver toda clase de locura o excentricidad, el cual termina siendo una noticia más vuelta en efeméride o estadística (primer James Bond negro, por ejemplo)... salen con: ¡Vean quién será el nuevo Bond! ¡Hagan sus apuestas!... y el público casual no aprueba la necesidad de que la serie del 007 se reinvente como lo han hecho otras series fílmicas.

¿Es justo que el público casual continúe observando a James Bond como un chiste y no como un proyecto serio como lo han sido otras franquicias fílmicas? ¿Qué necesita la saga del 007 para tomarse en serio? ¿Será que la fanbase del 007 no se ha portado de la mejor forma con el público casual? ¿O el fanbase del 007 es más realista que otras fanbases de otras series fílmicas?

Hubo un tiempo en el que me ilusionaba con dirigir un filme de James Bond con animación digital concluyendo la era Live-Action, pues quería probar algo diferente con la franquicia; honestamente, estoy un poco harto de ver que siempre se escoja un nuevo actor para este personaje. Sin embargo, sé que es una tontería/locura… un latinoamericano dirigiendo un filme de James Bond… eso nunca pasará. El caso fue que por ello tomé un diplomado en animación digital para hacer el experimento hasta que noté que no tenía sentido involucrarme con James Bond. Siempre tuve el sueño de hacer filmes inspirados e historias propias (inclusive en Live-Action); ahora que tengo algunos conocimientos de animación, ya definí que el sueño de mi vida será dirigir o escribir filmes animados y todo se lo agradezco al universo del 007 y todo lo que lo rodea. Nunca me hubiera imaginado que un ficticio agente secreto británico del MI6 sería la inspiración de mi vida.

Agradezco a James Bond por darme mis primeros ejercicios artísticos y la ilusión de poder imaginármelo de forma animada, que ahora me anima a seguir mi verdadera vocación la cual es la animación a través de películas.

No me importa defender lo que observé de James Bond durante mi adolescencia, ni apoyar esta batalla inmadura de mi generación contra la generación más joven de ahora por conocer cuál fue la mejor época del 007. Hay que dejar ser a esta nueva generación de fans del 007; sé lo que dirán que la saga tiene mucha influencia de los filmes de Jason Bourne, pero… oigan… los demás filmes del 007 no fueron 100% originales y tomaron inspiración de filmes que estaban de moda en su época (por ejemplo, Moonraker (1979) fue inspirado en Star Wars. No creo que el legado de Albert Broccoli, Sean Connery, George Lazenby, Roger Moore, Timothy Dalton, Pierce Brosnan, John Glenn, Terence Young, Guy Hamilton, Martin Campbell o John Barry se destruya (o desaparezca) mientras sigamos hablando de ellos y tomamos a los personajes como inspiración de nuestros hobbies sin faltarle al respeto a otras generaciones , ya que cuando esta nueva generación tenga la edad de nosotros y observen cómo una nueva generación (más jóvenes que ellos) quiere imponer las nuevas reglas para la saga del 007, vivirán los sentimientos que la mayoría de nosotros estamos sintiendo ahora mismo con la era de Daniel Craig. Al final del día, ellos aprenderán la lección y como dijo Felix Leiter en la novela Live & Let Die: Vive y deja vivir.

Las nuevas generaciones, Broccoli y Wilson podrán hacer los cambios que quieran a la serie del 007, pues ninguna generación fue perfecta para la franquicia. Sólo que seguiré sonriente en mi vida esperando ver siempre una frase que nos une a todos como fanbase: James Bond Will Return…

Ésa es la noticia que tomo en serio todos los días.

Muchas gracias por tomarse unos minutos para leer esto y les deseo un buen día con mucho éxito.

¡Hasta pronto!