Was the "Other Fella" line the silliest part of the Lazenby "era"?

2»

Comments

• DrGorner wrote: »
    I always thought the line .
    " We do function in your absence, Commander "
    Was a little dig at Connery from the Producers. ;)

Whether it was or not, I'm going with this. Hadn't noticed that line!
  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    Would've fit the tone of the movie, though
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    The entire Hillary Bray dubbing was pretty terrible.
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 11,189
    Sark wrote: »
    The entire Hillary Bray dubbing was pretty terrible.

I never quite understood the dubbing. If Laz had made more than one film it might have been more acceptable. As it is he's dubbed in the most dialogue heavy section of his one and only Bond film. I'd say the dubbing is less "silly" and more "awkward", especially the "guns" make me nervous" bit at the end which, as others have said, is borderline amateurish.
    yes, the dubbing is just dreadful, but it shows what a great film it is that so may Bond fans love it (including myself) despite such mistakes. Just imagine how good it could have been without the dubbing and other silliness. Hunt got so much right about the film but also made some poor decisions.
  • Birdleson wrote: »
    MrBlofeld wrote: »
    JCRendle wrote: »
    Or when he meets Blofeld "I'm sorry, I wasn't myself when we last met"

That would've been fantastic. Especially if Blofeld had come back with "me neither, Bond, let us start anew."

Don't you think the one line in the PTS was enough? It addressed the issue and got it out of the way. It would have really been a distraction and have bordered on satire. I think it would have been a grave error.
    The entirety of DAF is borderline parody anyway!
  • Birdleson wrote: »
    My mistake, I thought we were talking about their meeting in OHMSS, after already meeting in YOLT. Forget what I said.

Ah okay, yeah I agree in OHMSS it would've been too much. Has anyone devised a way around the blatant plot hole/continuity error there by the way? Would it work, for example, if OHMSS was 'before' YOLT?
    Some fans hash on the "fourth wall" but I never had a problem with it. I was more troubled by dubbing Baker's voice in the Piz Gloria sequences was more bothersome.

The plot hole of Bond and Blofeld first meeting was just that. A plot hole but most films have them, so we just ignore it and move on. (like Khan's recognition of Chekov in ST 2 when everyone knows that Chekov was not on the Enterprise in Season 1 when "Space Seed" aired)

The line in DAF when someone says to Connery, "I hear you've been on holiday, relaxing?" (or words to that effect) Connery replies, "Hardly relaxing but most satisfying." Referring to the non Bond films he had done between YOLT and DAF .

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Just watched OHMSS last night, and have to say again that it is a friggen' awesome movie. Would have loved to have seen George do more, and really come into his own. Even the dubbing seemed better this time, and seem to take up less space in the dialogue (there are more portions of the Piz Gloria sections than I remembered where he's using the JB voice rather than the HB voice). The "Other Fella" line doesn't bother me at all, and if you're going to put a crack in the 4th wall anywhere, immediately before the TS is a good place to do it I feel.
    If anything, Laz sliding down the curling rink during the assault stood out as the silliest part during my viewing last night.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    If I remember right, I think that was Lazenby's idea. :)
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    DrGorner wrote: »
    If I remember right, I think that was Lazenby's idea. :)

I mean, I loved it :)) but it was silly!

Slightly off topic; can anyone tell me what Laz says after the fight scene in the beginning (in Tracy's room) after he shovels the caviar into his mouth? He says something like "Royal beluga, ifmbofmboifio" and I can NEVER make it out.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I think it's Royal beluga, um! North of the Caspian ?
    OHMSS69 wrote: »
    Some fans hash on the "fourth wall" but I never had a problem with it. I was more troubled by dubbing Baker's voice in the Piz Gloria sequences was more bothersome.

The plot hole of Bond and Blofeld first meeting was just that. A plot hole but most films have them, so we just ignore it and move on. (like Khan's recognition of Chekov in ST 2 when everyone knows that Chekov was not on the Enterprise in Season 1 when "Space Seed" aired)

The line in DAF when someone says to Connery, "I hear you've been on holiday, relaxing?" (or words to that effect) Connery replies, "Hardly relaxing but most satisfying." Referring to the non Bond films he had done between YOLT and DAF .

And both plotholes in OHMSS and ST2 could easily be explained: Bond in YOLT still had some Japanese makeup and Chekov, while in the Enterprise, was not seen in the episode of the first season of ST.
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    If that helps you sleep at night sure, but it's pretty thin. It's a plot hole, it's not the end of the world. It being a new Bond makes it more forgivable.
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 2,341
    Sark wrote: »
    If that helps you sleep at night sure, but it's pretty thin. It's a plot hole, it's not the end of the world. It being a new Bond makes it more forgivable.

:)) :)) :))

And Chekov was not serving on the bridge in Season 1.... theres over 400 crew on the USS Enterprise...the odds of us seeing Ensign Chekov in Season 1---slim.

But if that works for anyone.... :)
  • You want to talk silliness in the Lazenby era? It's all about the kilt. :-B